PDA

View Full Version : Correcting an eye Question

VegArtist
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I've started a new people (not pet) portrait (just my 2nd in color) and was trying a different approach. Rather than making a detailed drawing first I started by very loosely placing the features and then began to block in the tones with the idea of refining the details as I went on. Well, it was going fairly well but I somehow got off track on the subject's right eye. My attempts to fix it just made things worse... I really need to start from scratch on that area. Am thinking I should probably remove all the pastel I can and then apply some fixative to restore the tooth-- because that area has been very overworked. Does that sound right? (I haven't used fixative before so not certain it will help.) Any alternatives I haven't thought of? Or would I be better off just chucking it and starting over? Not going to post the pic yet as it's still in the VERY ugly stage ;-)
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
-Louis

DAK723
05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
I think that usually much of the pastel can be removed and the surface made usable, but the best solutions probably depend on what type of paper you are using. Let us know, and I am sure there will be some good suggestions coming your way.

Don

VegArtist
05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Oops, meant to say that. It's the smooth side of Canson. Thanks!

Paula Ford
05-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Get a foam brush and flick off as much pastel as you can with the sharp corner of it. That should allow you to start fresh in that area.

VegArtist
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks! I wound up using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (dry not wet). I read elsewhere (maybe in the Watercolor Forum?) that these were safe to use and did not contain chemicals that would hurt the paper. Worked great and removed 95% of the pastel. Still can't get the eye right though!