PDA

View Full Version : Stiffening an extended element

gomer
05-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi there;

Has anyone successfully collaged an element onto and beyond the edge of a canvas and needed to stiffen it so it didn't flop around? I've tried Golden's extra heavy gel so far, but it didn't work. The collaged element is a piece of cheesecloth that I've printed onto and used in a painting. It's diamond shaped and extends a couple of inches. It's got printing preparation clearcoat and the extra heavy gel on it so far. Suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks!

idylbrush
05-24-2009, 08:53 PM
There is a GAC product that will stiffen fabric. I believe it is GAC 400. I have used is several time and it does a nice job

gomer
05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a try and post how it worked.

gomer
06-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I tried it and it certainly helped. I also tried some GAC 200 on top of that and it's probably stiff enough now to hang OK. It's not as rigid as I had hoped for, but it's better. It would have probably worked out better if I had of stiffened it suitably before putting it on the canvas. Ah well - live and learn!

cadub
06-04-2009, 12:55 AM
K if sll elsefirst backup method could be laundry spray starch building up layers.

Next plan boiled sugar recipe for stiffenning crochet - u
yup it;s old, but still floatting around

http://www.crochettreasures.com/starch.htm

Alison2
06-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi,

There's something called paverpol that might work. You dip the fabric in it and can mould it to shape. It can be painted over with acrylic paint. It's very resilient as it can be used to clothe carden statues over a wire form etc and left outside. You should find it if you google it.

Good luck!

Alison:wave: