PDA

View Full Version : Losing track of time!

PainterDeb
05-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one....

The other night I started painting shortly after 9:00 (I know, kind of late to start since I needed to get up by 5:30 and was already tired). I thought I would work until 10:20 or so and be in bed by 10:30. Well, I thought about a half an hour or so had passed, I looked at the clock, and it was already 11:23! And it still took me 20 minutes to wrap up, so it was almost midnight before I got into bed. Anyone else with this problem? I guess I will need to set an alarm if I am painting "late". :eek:

And a few times I felt like I have been painting for an hour, but it has only been 20 minutes....

plec
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Deb i find if you are painting (or on the internet) time seems to behave differently:wink2: :wink2:
Good though, Ken.

PainterDeb
05-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, I forgot about the internet....that is definitely in a different time zone also! :) (And also weekends....)

bkrast
05-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I often do that. I get up at 5:00am during the week, and will start painting at 9:00 with plans to quit at 10:30. Quite often, it's midnight or after when I look at the clock again. It's DEFINITELY a difference dimension of time when painting. :) My wife does the same thing. When Friday comes around, we'll often end up painting until 3:00am and get up closer to noon. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

Serenity
05-24-2009, 07:37 PM
This happens to me all the time. When I'm painting, I go into 'the zone' and what seems like only half an hour is actually two hours or more. :)

Kathrin G.
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
happened to me twice last week too :lol: realised at 1.30am that it is way past bedtime. Alarm goes off at 6.05am :eek: :lol:

Lulu
05-24-2009, 10:52 PM
yup, know that feeling well!!!
I now don't paint late at night because my brain is then too wired to sleep!
But I read art books and they can have the same effect lol

AMuse
05-24-2009, 11:06 PM
I paint in the afternoons while my kids are in school... I set the alarm so that I don't miss picking them up from the bus (I've come close a few times!) :)

halthepainter
05-24-2009, 11:09 PM
For 15 years prior to retirement, I commuted into Boston 5 days a week. I got up at 4 in the morning and got home at 7 PM. There was no way I wasn't going to have time for art. I wound up going to bed a midnight every night. I figured I would catch up on sleep on the weekends with 8 hours of sleep on Saturday and Sunday.

This may be a big reason I had tripple bypass heart surgery three years ago.

AAh, what we give up for art.

*dee*
05-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Time...what is "time"? :lol:

Yeah, I never have a firm grip on it...and its even worse when I'm painting or on the 'net.

I only have to get up early two days a week (4am on Sat & Sun) so I've learned to not to paint on Fri & Sat nights. Mon & Tues I work second shift...then three days off. My schedule is kind of weird, but it works for me.

I really prefer to paint early in the day. Guess I'm a morning person.

And I have set an alarm to stop painting...I could feel myself settling into that "zone". :lol:

Aires
05-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Losing myself in a painting to where time is forgotten is wonderful problem to my way of thinking. I used to do the same thing when playing the organ - would have no conception of time passing until my back started hurting and then I would be shocked that 2 or more hours had passed so blissfully. Same now with painting - anytime I get into a painting that is going well, forget fixing dinner or anything else, I'm in another world. I heartily recommend a supportive and understanding mate if you get totally involved in a painting to where time passes unnoticed!

susme48
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Oh yeah....it happens....I forget to eat, or drink or ummm....use the 'facilities'....but when I come up for air...amazed at how much time has passed, how thirsty I am, etc...

PainterDeb
05-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks Ken, Ben, Serena, Kathrin, Lulu, Kathy, Hal, Dee, Aires, and Susan for your comments. Glad I'm not the only one!

I guess I'll just have to set an alarm like several of you mentioned if I need to stop at a certain time.

("They" definitely sped up time this weekend, but somehow they will add it back to the workday tomorrow. :) )

leamacd
05-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Deb - you are right - it happens all the time to me. I go into a very meditative state while painting - I've suffered with migraines for 30 years and the weird thing is I get far fewer migraines if I'm painting regularly. It's great therapy=)

LavenderFrost
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
It happened to me the other day. I started painting after lunch and thought I would paint for half the afternoon, but next thing I knew it was 5pm. It's not often that I can last that long, but even when painting for a short time it seems to by quickly compared to the amount of painting I got done.

PainterDeb
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Donna - that is interesting about the migraines....perhaps the painting helps alleviate some of the stress we all deal with? I've just recently started painting but I find that I really look forward to my painting time, I am already almost basing my life around "when can I paint again?" :)

Michelle, I agree. But I think it is a good thing when you are in the "zone"... (Although if you paint on the weekend it is really bad...first of all, weekend time is twice as fast as regular time, and then if you are painting for 4 hours each day of the weekend....well, by Monday morning, you've only had an 8 hour weekend total!)