PDA

View Full Version : Deserted scene

Dima
08-23-2002, 06:07 AM
A destered stone shed somewhere in 'les deserts des Agriates' in Corsica.

On A3 Tiziano.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2002/Agriatesscene.jpg

Dick

jackiesimmonds
08-24-2002, 05:22 AM
Dick - what would you like to hear, by way of comment, about this pic? Do you want any advice or criticism or help?

Dima
08-25-2002, 07:24 AM
Hello Jackie,

Since I started doing pastels early this year I just post every pastel I do in this panel and any comment, advice or critique is allways welcome.
So if you would like to comment on this one, please go ahead.
I was wondering for instance how the viewer would interpret the light part in the lower right; it is actually (supposed to be) the sandlike stone base of the hill above.

Dick

jackiesimmonds
08-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Well, to be honest, I feel that the shapes on the right hand side of the pic are very ambiguous. It is hard to know if that is a hill and a patch of ground underneath it, stretching back towards the hill, or if it is a hill which is rocky at the top and smooth halfway down, or in fact, whether it is actually another building alongside your left-hand cottage, the pale area being a wall, and the textured area being a roof!!
I think it is sometimes rather good to have a painting which makes the viewer do some work - I would like my work to be a bit more ambiguous sometimes - but I think perhaps this one goes a bit too far in this area, and it is hard to "read". The working of the pastels itself looks fine, you seem to handle the materials well - I just think that if the painting is meant to be about the deserted cottage, then we could do with seeing a bit more of that building, and a bit less of everything else!!!