PDA

View Full Version : Musician with his dog and classic Packard

danreed
05-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Here's my latest acrylic painting. It features a 1934 Packard that I photographed at a car show last summer. I can't afford a car like this, so I put myself in the scene as well as our dog, Biscuit. So, it looks like I own the car:)

This is 24x30 on canvas. To get the guitar players proportions right I photographed myself sitting on a pet carrier, which I guessed is about the height of the Packard running board. I brought a copy of the photograph of the Packard outside so I could stage my car in the same postition and under the same light conditions, then I placed the pet carrier next to the car so as to replicate the shadows that would have been cast by the Packard.

Dan

Raymo
05-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Always look forward to your paintings and you didnt disappoint....:clap:

You da man....:thumbsup:

~~Kathleen
05-23-2009, 02:24 PM
WOW!
Your work sure paid off with this one.
Your attention to details in this type of painting is wonderful.
Hope you like "Your" Packard....and hope that the day will come....well, we can all dream can't we? :)
~~Kathleen

Kathrin G.
05-23-2009, 04:17 PM
:clap: :clap: WoW, WoW, WoW :clap: :clap:
this is a fantastic painting all around, just gorgeous :clap:
How do you achieve such a smooth looking painting on canvas ???

gaykir
05-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Jaw dropping gorgeous!!

tonyjazz
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Really fine artwork here Dan. That guitar just adds so much to thie piece. Great advice on getting the figure and his shadow just right.

birdhs
05-23-2009, 10:21 PM
As a guy who has 3 large dogs, a love of old cars, and enjoys music, how could I not look at this posting? "Not disappointed" would be a major understatement. I would be happy just to be able to afford such a wonderful painting of this fine car, and especially with doggie and you. :envy:

If I could afford the car then maybe I might be interested in buying the painting ..... did you keep the owners name?:evil:

This kind of painting is sooooo marketable because it is soooo enjoyable.:thumbsup:

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eyes.:clap:

PainterDeb
05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
This is so cool, both the concept and the execution - fantastic!!

FlyingPhoenix
05-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Such a wonderful painting, definitely an eye catcher. It reminds me of airbrush work. Would you mind to share your secret of how to make that super smooth look on canvas?

danreed
05-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! A couple of people asked me specifically about getting the smooth look on canvas. That would be most noticeable in the front fenders of the car in this painting. I started by simply laying down some Emerald Green right from the tube. After it dries I start with the darkest green areas (based on my photo reference) and paint them in roughly - no smoothing just yet. I'm blocking in the lightest and darkest areas almost like a paint by numbers. Then I begin layering the light and dark shades of green and also mixing in Brilliant Blue where the sky reflects into the fender. At this point I'm working fast while the paint is wet and I continue to blend the shades together until it looks right to me. I may stop several times throughout this process and let it dry and come back to it. One fender can take a half a day to complete.

Below is a link on my website to a similar painting in which I tracked my process and described each step.

http://www.danreedillustration.com/PaintProcess.htm

Dan

scottsart
05-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Dan this is just fantastic. Another stunning piece. I too always look forward to opening your works

Faded
05-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Excellent work Dan, the reflections in the chrome are amazing.
-David

arl
05-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Beautiful work, colours and detail.

Lady Carol
05-24-2009, 09:59 AM
That is so cool. Wonderful detail.

LavenderFrost
05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Amazing, as always!

rustymotors
05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I am amazed at what some people can do with acrylics! I have never had much luck with them, but when someone who know what they are doing gets ahold of them the results can be nothing short of amazing:clap: . Can I ask how long something like this takes in acrylics?

old_hobbyist
05-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Spectacular is an understatement. The attention to details - the reflection of the guitar color in the hubcap of the spare tire - makes this such an important effort. Thanks for the lesson. Jim

danreed
05-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone:wave:

Rustymotors - How long does it take to do a painting like this? About a month. However, I bounce around from time to time with other projects. While this painting was in progress I also had a logo design project going for a Florida client, four individual Cadillac poster designs I'm coordinating with my brother (He's a graphic designer) for a Washington D.C. Cadillac Dealership, as well as loosing a day here and there to go on location for photo shoots on future commission projects. I'd love to begin a painting and follow it through without any other distractions, but that rarely happens.

Your too kind rustymotors!! I only began working in acrylics a couple years ago. I made the conscious effort to get out of my comfort zone which was working in Prismacolor colored pencil or pen & ink. Acrylic is by far my favorite medium. Watercolor just doesn't have the brilliance of acrylic and oils take too long to dry.

Dan

Danimal316
05-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I love this. The chrome is wonderful, the dog is great, and the figure is done very very well. Good work all around!

chammi kaiser
05-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Dan - this takes my breath away. It is just so perfect. The car just gleams and the dog and guitarist are wonderful.

Georgi
05-25-2009, 05:14 AM
OMG!!!! I'm speechless! How wonderful your painting is, Dan! Wow! Wow and Wow!!!!!:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Georgi :cat:

cadub
05-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Just Fantastic!! - Great work!!

noodle1
05-25-2009, 09:36 AM
"Classically" marvelous! So enchanting with your paintings.

Elaine

susme48
05-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Dan!!!!