PDA

View Full Version : Pink Waterlily revised

nurciuoli
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I've worked the flowers on this further - more color values, more shading. Would love to have any feedback please. Thanks much, Nan

FlyingPhoenix
05-22-2009, 12:01 AM
This is such a beautiful painting! I love the strokes on the petals.

MsChanandalrBong
05-22-2009, 12:33 AM
very nice. u just inspired me to re-work my waterlily painting, we must've gotten the same picture to paint from cuz that looks like a Much better version of my pink waterlily.
i guess i should get over my issues with going back to a painting after i've signed it. :confused:

nurciuoli
05-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Flying Phoenix - thank you very much. Compliments are so nice to hear after doing much work! I am still struggling (learning) about values & shadows. Always afraid of going too far or too dark & ruining it - I wind up going too light & the painting looks flat. I'm happy with this rework, but wonder if I should push it further. I'll probably stare at it for a few days & then decide.

MsChanandairBong - you have no idea how often I have called a painting "done" - only to rework part or all of it. I keep chiding myself that whenever I think of saying "it's done" to stop, wait a day or two - guaranteed I will change something! In fact I have one painting on the wall & every day I walk past & say to myself "I have to just change that one shadow area" - and that painting has been hanging there for over a year! LOL! Thanks for your comments.

FlyingPhoenix
05-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Here's my waterlily (in oil). Wish you don't mind I post it here. It's much darker than yours. I wish I had more colors on petals like yours. I just couldn't see that many colors. My teacher told me I needed more time to train my eyes in order to see those beautiful colors.

noodle1
05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Nancie beautifully done! Really like your composition, lots of movement in the leaves and flowers, very alive, love it!

Elaine

Continental
05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Absolutely beautiful! The darker background make the petals glow.

arl
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Wonderful composition and colour mix.

PainterDeb
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I think this is looking great! The flowers really burst out from the darker background.

nurciuoli
05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Elaine, Continental, Arlene & Deb - thank you very much. It is so good to get such wonderful comments after doing much work. It is much appreciated!

FlyingPhoenix - I love your waterlily painting - there are "looks" you can achieve with oils that make them so recognizable no matter what the subject. I first began painting with oils, and would only do oils. But having worked with acrylics now for a little over a year, I'm finding more & more reasons to stay with them. I once said I couldn't make the switch, now I say I love them! Don't worry so much about training your eye to see all the colors, that changes as we do more & more paintings. My dad always told me "Study what you see but paint what you feel." I strive for that all the time. I looked at your blog, you have some wonderful work. Love your latest one with the waterfall.

LavenderFrost
05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I looked up your last post. It really pops now compared to before.

Charlie's Mum
05-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Excellent range of tonal values Nancie - this has lots of depth now :D

susme48
05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Nancie...what a wonderful finish!!!!

nurciuoli
05-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Thank you LavenderFrost, Maureen & Susan. I think flowers are giving me great insight into values & shading. Everyone's comments have given me encouragement to do more. Thank you!