View Full Version : Advice Needed on Finishing a piece with lots of texure

05-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I know that a many of you create art with lots of texture on it. I'm making something that is a lot more texture than I'm used to, and I'm wondering how to finish it with the isolation coat and varnish.

Would you brush, or spray? I don't have spraying equipment.... but I'm worried about bubbles in the varnish and isolation coat if I use a brush over the textured areas.

Any tips would be really appreciated :)

05-20-2009, 11:39 PM
To be honest, I generally don't varnish my work.

05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
LOL - well I guess that's an option too!

Shirl Parker
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Me neither. If you insist, try to find something in a can.

05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
try this.

Available at hardware or home stores for about 8 USD and I mix my liquid gloss medium 1:1 with distilled water and it sprays beautifully. I then clean it throughly and then use a UVLS varnish mixed with distilled water at the same ratio. Works great, cleans up easily. Saves money and is highly usable with little effort.

05-21-2009, 07:51 PM
:D thanks Howard - you are an angel!

05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Don't know if this will help but I keep 2 plastic squeeze bottles in the studio. One has the isolation coat mixture while the other has the varnish mixture. Ready to go, makes it easier to get to that process and I have no excuse to put it off.

I am very careful to mark the bottles so there is no confusion.

05-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Thank-you as well Howard. I think we should pay you to be here, your information is invaluable.:clap: You have no idea just how much a boon you are to we who do not know!
You never seem to think that any question is too mundane for a person with your vast knowledge, and your willingness to share is appreciated more than you will ever know.
I was at Home Hardware the other day and could not remember which sprayer you had recommended (a while back) so I did not get one. But today I printed out the pic, stuck it in my bag, and am armed for my next trip!

05-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Just so you know what you are getting into. Here is what the bottle looks like. The white upper section, houses and nozzle and compressed gases which make it work, this part is replaceable and should be available at the home or hardware store. Last time I looked they were about 5.00 USD, but will check again since it has been a while.

How to use: http://www.prevalspraygun.com/howto.htm

lead to purchase on internet: http://www.dickblick.com/products/preval-sprayer/

Bright Eyes
05-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I do a lot of texture. I use the Gamvar varnish. When I first brush it on its bubbly but after a couple minutes of brushing as the varnish sets up the bubbles all go away on their own.