PDA

View Full Version : Sta-Wet Palettes

msue
10-11-2000, 10:41 PM
Does anyone use these? I bought one the other day thinking that it would solve my paint waste problem. I'm not sure if it is the paint I'm using or I've got the sponge too wet, but my paints are terribly runny. In fact I would say too runny. Is that right?

Gisela
10-11-2000, 10:54 PM
I use a stay-wet palette for acrylics too. The sponge may be overly wet, or you may be using those high-viscosity paints. LOL--I always thought that had to do with motor oil for cars...now I'm seeing it on acrylic tubes!
When you find the right degree of wet for your palette, you'll love it! I really came to appreciate mine when I did that mural this summer! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Artworks by Gisela Towner (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela)

LarrySeiler
10-28-2000, 09:28 AM
Tell you what...I tend to find the cheapest dumbest thing that works. I often keep near an old empty plastic gallon container that was originally an ice cream pail, you know $4-5 from your retailer- (Rocky Roads, Maple Nut...hmmmmmm)

I put about 3 inches of water in the bottom.

I then put my paint on styrofoam paper plates, in a mound no bigger than about a nickel in diameter. When I walk away, answer the phone...or just plain go away for the weekend, I put my plate, paint side down, to sit on top of the plastic pail. Enough water vapor is happening inside that pail that it keeps the paint wet nearly endlessly. When I'm finished with a plate, I let it sit and dry the left over paint out, then flip it over to use the other side.

Heh....it works....

Larry http://lseiler.artistnation.com

nancymae
10-30-2000, 01:05 PM
Larry,
The paint doesn't fall off into the water????
Very interesting idea!!! You just simply turn over the paper plate and then don't cover it with anything else?

Thanks for the tip!!

Nancy

LarrySeiler
10-31-2000, 08:09 AM
Perhaps it may vary from one brand of acrylic to another...but my paints are fairly thick, yet flow easily enough out a dispenser. Galeria...

But...that's it. Just turn the plate upside down and let it rest over the water. I rarely have paint fall in, but even so...it is so darned convenient and so little paint overall wasted that it would still be worth it in my book! To get up...at any time, tend to other matters and not worry about your paint is well worth it.

I fill the pail about 1/3rd full of water.

Larry

nancymae
10-31-2000, 09:00 AM
Excellent idea Larry!!! I will have to try it!! I don't work in acrylics all that much because I am frequently interrupted and I don't want that great color that I just mixed to get dried out. So I either wait until a weekend where I have a big block of time to do my acrylics or do some other media.

I will definately try it!!! Good idea for plein air painting as well, I imagine!!

Nancy

msue
11-08-2000, 11:30 PM
Just a little up-date on my Sta-Wet Palette. It seems I probably did have the sponge too wet. The same paint I placed there when this post was orginally made is still there (well some of it) and is still moist. I don't have too many opportunities to paint lately so sometimes I just open the lid and mist the paint. I now love the palette. It was a very good investment for me.

Kevin M
11-14-2000, 07:28 PM
At one time I used to use those paper stay-wets which used to drive me mad when they began to disintegrate and leave bits of fibre clinging to my brush.

About ten years ago I got an idea (a sroke of sheer genius I like to think) and I replaced the paper with a sheet of fine polyester cloth which I cut from a broken golf umbrella. I have been using it since almost on a daily basis.

The dimensions of the cloth are 13" x 12" and is placed in 12" X 10" photographic dish with a 1/2" layer of foam rubber underneath. I cut a piece of plywood to act as cover when not in use. A pallette stays usable for a week or more. Singe the edge of the cloth to stop it unravelling when you wash it out when changing pallette.

Ruth
12-04-2000, 07:16 AM
I use a plastic tupperware-type container made for holding deviled-eggs. There are 24 little egg-shaped depressions in the bottom where I put my paint. The lid snaps on and it is airtight. The paint stays workable for at least a week, longer if I spritz a little water on it before closing the lid. The inside of the lid makes a great place to mix colors. To clean it, let the paint dry overnight, and peel it off.

Ruth

LDianeJohnson
12-05-2000, 07:14 PM
I do basically the same thing in the studio. Styrofoam plates, a whole package for about $1...use one for a palette, when the phone rings, spritz with water and place another plate face down over the face-up palette plate. It lasts for a couple of days. On the field if needed...I use a paper palette with a piece of Saran Wrap over top or insert into a plastic bag. The spray bottle of water is essential, for dampening the painting and on the paint to keep things moving quickly.

Sta-wet palettes are fine, but take up too much room, and are more expensive to use in volume, especially when painting outside with any regularity. They are great for oils however.