GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Face That Launched a Thousand Quips
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8X6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This man's face is a portrait painter's dream.
Loads of expression, color and individuality.
I've been looking for a good ref foto. Fortunately, he's been in the news lately and I found one on CNN.com.
His head was truncated, but I really wanted to zoom in on the eyes and mouth so I chose this one. I also liked the back lighting.

That dark stripe coming down from his right eye has more color in the painting and isn't so stark.
I note some glare in his right eye that makes the tracking appear off. It's not there in the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How does he look?

Paulafv
05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Beautifully rendered portrait. I'm guessing it's our former VP, but there's a twinkle in the eye and a line about the mouth which remind me of the former Pres. more than the VP. You made him more slender and more handsome than real life, which is fine. The tilt of the head seems exactly right, and your skin tones are excellent. Missing the voice, but we cannot yet do that.
Next year.

cbcarnell
05-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Sure looks like Dick Cheyney to me! Magnificent work.

Paintbrush74
05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
I certainly recognized him immediately. Love the colors, and the way you were able to infuse personality.

JudithAdene
05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
To answer the question simply.....it really works Great portrait.

Corby
05-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Nice work bill!

mosteller2889
05-18-2009, 01:38 AM
good job on the movement on this one bill....and I like the man

MRSBB
05-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Don't shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a quip. Of course it's a wonderful painting Bill. How about one of first lady Michelle? She seems to have a lot of personality in her facial features. Keep having fun..........Lenore

Ronni
05-18-2009, 04:32 AM
Very well done!!!! your skills are wonderful. Now you can add an unexpected detail or object, to make it a more personal statement about him and you.
(I mean to the next one)

mooz49
05-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Really wonderful Bill :thumbsup:

tgsloth
05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Can't believe no one's submitted the joke, "how did you find a reference of him smiling?" He's been a rather dour figure both in and out of office. It's the flip side of finding an image of Pee Wee Herman scowling.

Anyhow, terrific, Bill Mahlerish, as everone says. Possible tiny crits:

Smile lifts a bit too high of his left side.

Transition from forehead to left side of head a bit too abrupt.

billmahler
05-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. This was fun to paint. The size is unusually small for me, so things went a lot more quickly than usual - about 2 hrs of sketching and 4 hrs of painting. The style seems free and loose, but that hides some painstaking drawing.

"how did you find a reference of him smiling?"
Good question, TG. It wasn't easy.

>>Smile lifts a bit too high of his left side.
That's one of his most distinctive characteristics and explains why he often seems to be scowling. If you look closely, his mouth tilts in a direction opposite to his eyes. It seems off, but I measured that location to a millimeter.

>>Transition from forehead to left side of head a bit too abrupt.

Good catch, TG. The backlighting blurred some details there. I'll take another look at it.

How about one of first lady Michelle?
I have my eye out, Lenore. I'll have to include those beautiful long arms tho, so it will be a large canvas.

lunchbox
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Bill...:clap: :clap: :clap:

billmahler
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm pleased as punch that this painting has been accepted to appear in a very competitive juried show by a group of jurors selected by the Art League of Long Island.

The exhibition, called A Common Thread, is for portraits only and also includes invited works by Harvey Dinnerstein, David Levine and Burton Silverman - some very well known and accomplished painters - and as you can imagine, I'm very proud to have been chosen to be in that fast company.

It was open to painters in NY, NJ and CT.

I submitted this one and my painting of OJ Simpson and this one was accepted. Frankly, I think the OJ painting is better, but no one seems to agree with me.

crazywoman53
09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Congratulations Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!! You should be proud and happy.. Good luck!

MRSBB
09-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Congratulations Bill. Well deserved, it a great painting........Lenore

edtree
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Congratulations! I can see why this portrait was accepted. I admire those who do portraits this well. He looks GREAT! :)

Elizabeth

DanaLJensen
09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Wonderful! It certainly deserves to be selected....what a wonderful portrait!

greensyster
09-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I learn something each time I enjoy and 'examine' your work.

yarddog
09-04-2009, 02:15 AM
congrats Bill....it's a very impressive work........
"The Face That Launched a Thousand Quips"...now see.....that's humorous....yd

mooz49
09-04-2009, 05:41 AM
WOW! .....well done Bill!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dana Design
09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I've never seen him smiling. Nice work, Bill.