GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Ninth Anniversary Pic
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It started out as one of two canvases of me and my wife Carol but sadly, she told me we only have limited room in our tiny house. I was shocked of course, but relented and went with a pic of the two of us at "The Hole in the Wall" on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, Canada in the Bay of Funday. It is from two pics spliced together.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have at me...Does the composition work. It should be noted, that the sun is over my shoulder so I am backlit. Oh, and it's a camera bag, in case it doesn't show well. And I am closer to the front.

megtr
05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Your wife looks much happier than you do so I am guessing that her sunlit smiling face is the focal point - which I am sure she appreciates. I would lose the logo\pic on your t-shirt. It is distracting - like a bullseye - taking the viewers eye away from your wife - you can't let that happen! I like how the rounded/curved shape of the rock formation is echoed in the curve of your arms/shoulders.

Mikey
05-17-2009, 07:56 PM
This is nice mack, especially since it reminds me of happy times when we had holidays in Cornwall. I like the feel of this altogether. The anatomy with this kind of painting does tend to be tricky. Can you begin with imagining where the limbs actually begin, where those pelvic joints are.

tgsloth
05-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I was right there! 1993. Didn't see you. Are you going to work this one? My first thought is that hands are too small.

Mikey
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I was right there! 1993. Didn't see you. Are you going to work this one? My first thought is that hands are too small.

And he's got his feet into a Chinese concubine's shoes. But never mind, this is a very difficult thing to paint.

mackb
05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys for your comments. Meg, the shirt logo was needed, both since it was there in the photo and otherwise, I'd look like a beached whale, tho I suppose i could slim me down. The faces aren't perfect, but they capture the essence. It was our only trip back East before we had kids, that's why we look relaxed and unhurried.

mikey, what does this mean? "Can you begin with imagining where the limbs actually begin, where those pelvic joints are?" and yeah, I didn't do so well on the sneakers. I can't believe I climbed up and down that rock structure and others on that trip in $5 Wal-Mart sneakers. Worse, It was the beginning of my heart problems, although we didn't know at the time why I got so winded so quickly.

Tg, I was on the cliffs, listeneing to the whales at night, chasing herring into the circular stick nets. I waved to ya, but youo didn't see me.. :-} And yeah, I think my hands are a bit small.

billmahler
05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
It is from two pics spliced together.

The first challenge when working from separate foto's is to get a consistent light flow.

I don't think the lighting on you and your wife indicates the same source.

Mikey
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
mack, this is a bit rushed but you can get the idea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2009/28043-line_figure.jpg

mackb
05-18-2009, 12:15 AM
So are you saying my leg is too short or it doesn't look like I'm sitting on a rock?

LynnDigby
05-18-2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2009/71979-mack.jpg
what if.....

you bent your leg, and lost the shoe?

I moved the leg up, too. I think this might be one solution?

Corby
05-18-2009, 01:14 AM
mackb I think its absolutely great! I like the strength of composition and values.

MRSBB
05-18-2009, 02:08 AM
You know Mack, you don't have to take this abuse. These portrait artists just don't seem to realize their are things we just don't get. I love your painting and you have a cute wife, on the other hand you do look a little grumpy.Smile and keep having fun.........Lenore

Fulano de Tal
05-18-2009, 03:41 AM
The composition would work better if you put you and your wife on one side with the main object on the other.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2009/167030-164359_008-1.jpg

mooz49
05-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi Mackb ...... your wife looks really pretty and happy .....you are giving a look that says "Why are you taking my photograph?" :D As has already been stated your hand is too small and there is something not quite right about your shoulders ....are they too rounded or is your head too small? ...... but this is a delightful portrait no matter what ..... so it's a :thumbsup: to you!

Mikey
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
mack, I'm trying to help you here - seriously. I am saying if the joints aren't correct then it is not possible to get the limbs right either. But take a look at this well known Boucher and be cheered by the thought. The girl's anatomy is surely not possible. It's the third painting down the page.

Boucher's The Swing (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www2.brevard.edu/chapin/annewebpage/fragonard-swing.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www2.brevard.edu/chapin/annewebpage/AH%2520202%2520Extra%2520Photos%25202004.htm&usg=__pGnlHCPfXYFsNZGQIDpWnLxf_-c=&h=849&w=620&sz=35&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=0FchFbmxsjb7xM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBoucher%2Bswing%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)

LynnDigby
05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
You know Mack, you don't have to take this abuse. These portrait artists just don't seem to realize their are things we just don't get. I love your painting and you have a cute wife, on the other hand you do look a little grumpy.Smile and keep having fun.........Lenore

Just trying to help.

andres123
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Is that on Gran Manan Island? sure looks like it. If so my wife and I had a very nice Maine/Canada vacation that included that very spot. Very picturesque.

Andres123

mackb
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Mrsbb, I am not in the least offended by any of the crits. I understand your point tho. I am not an accomplished portraits and have only done a few so far, but the input from Lynn and Mikey, to name a few, is invaluable to me. I know I'm rough, but the reason I post is to get the kind of input I need to improve.

For instance, Lynn and Fulano's suggestions surprised me and I see I could have saved the beauty of the arch and still had the beauty of my honey beside me. It never occurred to me to actually change the the limbs to suit my mistakes, er I mean change things to avoid my inabilaty to paint feet.

Mooz, you read my mind. My wife and I were kidding aorund and this was the best pic of the lot. We had a lot of fun on this trip and the expression isn't exact but close enough. I like it because I was relaxing for once.

Thanks Corby, I apprecaite your support as always.

Mikey, thanks for your patience and gracious help.

Andres, I mentioned teh Island in the first post. We got waylaid there for 4 days. It was an uscheduled stop and we just loved the place. I hated to leave but we had to tour Nova Scotia in another 5 days and then drive back to ONtario.

lbarrows
05-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't change a thing....don't think it needs perfect proportions or anything else. You've captured a moment....and I have to smile each time I look at it. And to me, your 'grumpy' face has a bit of humor lurking in those raised eyebrows. A definite keeper!

allanom
05-19-2009, 05:21 PM
As a self-portrait, the piece has a lot going for it. However, the figure of your wife is awkward and would need to be completely re-thought. Suggest taking her out of this one and trying something else with the two of you. I've cropped in some to concentrate on what is well done. Oh and I increased the size of your hand to 150%.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2009/4031-mack.jpg

tgsloth
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Divorce by Photoshop! You can do anything with computers.

future
05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
i noticed people have drastically moved your wife in this painting; and others made her dissapear; i find it very hard to erase a hole person and change its location, maybe i get frustrated easily, and just want to get it done,

just my opinion
happy painting
would be great if you can comment on my new painting , fruit and candle-light

mackb
05-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence lbarrows, you're right, it was a moment. My wife was taking my pic for the nth time and I was trying to look grumpy but was nearly smiling.

Allanon, my wife was added to the original photo and I liked the way she was standing and if fit with this rocky piece, but you're right it is a tad awkward, but keepable. But to exsize my wife so callously? I have to keep her from seeing this thread now....:-} If only it were so easy to make changes in a painting...

Thanks tg, I laughed to when I saw the post.

Future, you have to realize posters are offering their eyes and experience to help painters (me in this case) get better. It doesn't bother me a bit, ok, erasing my wife was a bit harsh, but I get the point that she looks pasted in. I got busted for that one. But until I can paint better portraits, my wife has confiscated this one. After all, she has the right of first refusal. In other words, anything she doesn't love, I can sell or give away, or hide.