PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Ridge

crazywoman53
05-17-2009, 03:42 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-17-2009/137465_Fog_on_the_Ridge.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-17-2009/137465_Foggy_ridge.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Foggy Ridge
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12 x 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is meant to be the fog at sundown. I submitted this piece earlier and have tried to encorperate some of everyones suggestions to improve it. I guess I should have posted in WIP but I take long spells sometimes between painting sessions cause I get trapped in the garden and didn't want to tye up the site. I think this photo slightly clearer. I brought in some darker browns to tone down the reddish brown of the trees, got rid of most of the blue, extended the fog and tried to soften it more. I think there is much more contrast now between the foreground trees and the ridge behind them. I am open to any comments and suggestions to finish this piece before I get disgusted with it and throw it away. Photo 1 is the beginning painting. photo 2 is where it is now.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have I over done the fog? Is it now soft enough without being just a smudge?

LynnDigby
05-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I am not good at trying to figure out made up landscapes. But to me, fog is like clouds. It tends to lighten things that are darker behind it, and darken things like the sky which would be lighter behind it.
Does this pic help?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2009/71979-114364821Oeduvu_fs.jpg

tgsloth
05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
The pattern of the fog is much better. By the way, sometimes WIP's get more attention on the regular forum than on the WIP. Question of traffic. So don't apologize for posting on the regular forum and then reposting. Probably where the WIP rules supreme and when someone posts what is clearly the beginning stages of a work.

Here are my thoughts to finalize this fine work.

You've got three rows of trees, respectively orange, and dull red. This looks artifical. Work in some differents hues to give more nature like diversity.

What is the lower right foreground? If a field, it would have grasses. Even dirt would be beige/brown. You've got it nearly black. Need to put something else there.

Please don't kill me or your painting for saying this but I think you were on to something with the touches of intense blue which you've now suppressed. It gave the work a sense of mystery. Bring 'em back.

crazywoman53
05-17-2009, 08:59 PM
tgsloth... thank for your input. I considered doing away with the orangish color high on the ridge. My goal was to try to impart the same early spring colors as the foreground ridge but making it appear further away in the background.. perhaps a darker grey would be better than the orange or not so much orange? There is a hill side slope with grass in the foreground right side, but at the time of day I took this from it appeared to be mostly just dark. I suppose some bluer grass strokes would add interest there. I kind of liked my previous blue too but apparently that was a matter of dissagreement between different contributers opinions. Now that I see it without the blue I feel like it is too somber.. but I have looked at this painting so long now I am beginning to lose my sense of objection. I want it to look like it is nearly dark so there would not be alot of detail in the foreground hill/grass but perhaps more than I have indicated?

LynnDigby--Thanks for the photo. It helps but not enough to get me out of the quandry I am in as that is fog against snow and a different time of day.

I think this is one of the most difficult paintings I have ever gotten myself into!!! But I will certainly learn from it. Thanks again for your input!