GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: study in edges and loosness
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
im tryin to get a feel for loosening up my brush work...while doin that play with the edges....It is no easy task for me

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
what r your thoughts...sorry not the best pic

bob matheson
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
While I am not Classical trained I can not offer a proper critique, However I think the piece is Very well done! I see soft and lost edges and a wonderful use of light reflections and otherwise! Tremendous work!

Sam_I_Am
05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
It certainly has your usual excellence behind it :) While its beautiful, I think I'd like to see the shadows darkened just a little on the wall. It feels a little "milky" right now.

Great job :)

Corby
05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
mosteller the painting is always beautiful, I think you have accomplished your goal here, a beautifully relaxed and natural presentation with perhaps just the very slightest feeling of having 'labored over' the branch of greenery. A slight dominance of character maybe?

mosteller2889
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
yeah...the greenery is a little challenge to get the right feel ...I feel I did overwork them a bit ,but they dont stand out quite as bad as in the pic..being self taught I am having to really search and take alot of observation time to get these visions right. This actual painting took about 3 and a half hours, not that im tryin to do it fast im tryin to get the quickest color note to describe that something...It helps to train my seeing to something of 2nd nature ...

mosteller2889
05-17-2009, 04:17 AM
the leaves should have been a flatter color not to draw so much attention ...what u think

laudesan
05-17-2009, 07:11 AM
I love this painting. I would love it more if the greenery weren't there..:-D

I love the looseness of it, those soft edges are super.

mooz49
05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I absolutely love all your still life paintings ....they make me want to paint still life and I never thought I would say that ..... The way you have the light bits standing out against the dark parts really make this one a winner again ..... :thumbsup:

tgsloth
05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I feel you achieved (a) your goals and (b) also knocked the ball outa the park. Only two suggestions. Since you signed it, go ahead and throw some paint on the upper right and I don't like how a leaf is kissing the ceramic pot. But I hasten to add, I feel the leaf treatment in general is wonderful.

LynnDigby
05-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I like the richness of this and the handling of the paint too. It might be my failing monitor, but is the wine bottle a little wonky? I'd check the top rim highlight for accuracy. It might be that it's tipped a little.

mosteller2889
05-18-2009, 12:24 AM
the wine bottle actually dried a little matt on the right side and right now it kinda looks tipped....but actually I was not concerned with the "drawing" or design ....I basically put the things up there and tryed too relax and just paint

LynnDigby
05-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Well, you certainly accomplished a very good work! I think your technical abilities are very good, and this gives you a freedom to go with it.

Nice piece!

whallart
05-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Fantastic work. I do agree with another post that maybe you should fill in the right corner a bit. It draws the eye away form the true work.

ErinEmily
05-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Beautiful job, love it! I was wondering if you developed part of one of the apples or ceramic jar maybe it would take a bit of the "over-developed" greenery?? Maybe the apple farther away from the other objects. I think a little sharpness there might pull the eye around more from the leaves. I too think a bit more darkness in the back would make it more dramatic. It's great the way it is though, beautiful edging and lack there of, I too struggle to loosen in areas :p;)

billmahler
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
A good study in edges.

Compare the edge on the viewer's left of the blue pot (perfect) with the same edge on the apple on our far right (not perfect)
The pot's edge blends perfectly with the backgound.
The apple's edge meets a dark line that separates it from the background and that imprecision mars the edge and detracts from the painting.

being self taught I am having to really search and take alot of observation time to get these visions right
That's a good way to learn, but you also might want to check "Oil Painting Secrets Of A Master" by Linda Cateura. It reveals many of the compostional ideas employed by David Leffel, who is a master at this kind of work.