http://www.painterilya.com/artworks/siglavi.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Arabian horse El Siglavi
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 23 x 34 cm (9,5 x 13,5in.)

MY COMMENTS:
Hello. I would like to show you my painting named “Arabian horse El Siglavi”. If you will be interested in later I will tell you the story of this painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I hope you will like it and I am waiting for your comments and critique. More about my “horses” art you will find here http://www.painterilya.com/Works2E.htm

Sam_I_Am
05-16-2009, 11:37 AM
The horse is beautifully painted. My only crit - the back legs look like they're floating. You might lighten the ground behind him to help anchor him into the scene. Good Job :)

Barbie Bud
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Beautiful horse and I love your background. I think the horse looks a bit like a cut out though and not so much a part of the background. Would the leg away from us be as light as the leg closet to us and maybe the edges of the horse should be darker so it doesn't stand out from the background quite so much and has a sense of roundness. Just some thoughts, I like it though. Happy painting

Corby
05-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Beautiful work! The point about the tendency to float has been made...just a bit of shadow with those back feet? Would love to hear about the horse. He is a beauty.

Mikey
05-16-2009, 01:33 PM
fabulous work as we have come to expect from you Ilya, especially at this small size. Could it be that compression and reduction has lost some of the detail in the shadow?

PainterIlya
05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you so much for your comments. There is a problem of photo. At the nearest time we will try to do the picture with better quality. I hope after that you will habe a less critique points.

LynnDigby
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2009/71979-siglavi.jpg
I've been a fan of your art, and admire your work a great deal. I especially like the work you've done with horses. They are so alive and full of movement! You capture a lot of action and vitality in these animals.

In this painting, I love the way you've placed this magnificent animal, and the lighting. As was mentioned before, the fact that he seems to be 'floating' is a problem. I think it may be because of a tilt to his body. His legs are at an angle that would support him, but if he were rotated a little.

I am puzzled by some problems in his anatomy. You seem to have an enormous understanding of equine confirmation, but in this painting, there are a few things which are not reading correctly to me.

I find his eye slightly too high, and the withers too high on his neck. This is the point of his shoulder and follows up from it. I'd like to see the cheek larger, and the front leg longer and larger also, given the perspective and foreshortening. This leg would seem to need to be attached slightly back further as well.

All of these suggestions are speculation on my part because I don't know this horse, and I'm guessing. I humbly acknowledge that I don't / can't paint as well as you do, and hope my observations might be of use as another set of eyes.

PainterIlya
05-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Today I take another one photo to exclude the lost details at the right bottom corner of the painting. Previous photo was good example of the importance of good picture. What can you say now? I am waiting for your comments very much.

http://www.painterilya.com/artworks/siglavi11.jpg

LynnDigby
05-18-2009, 09:02 AM
That is a better photo. But I think I see the same things I wrote about above.

I found a picture online which kind of illustrates what I was trying to say better. I think if you look at the front shoulder, you'll see the top where the shoulder bone pushes out at the bottom of the neck (we call this the 'withers.') needs to align with the angle of the shoulder, but not be quite so lumpy. I put a red arrow there, and a blue line on the shoulder angle.

The shoulder area of a horse I would expect to be much deeper. Arabian horses have delicate legs and faces, but tend to be very strong through the front chest area. I put another red arrow where the chest is over the front leg. The leg will sit back and be under the animal's body.

The halter is covering up the cheek in the picture, but you can still see the cheek is large, and rounded.

My photograph isn't the same pose at all, so my instincts about the eye are just that - instincts. I feel it needs to move slightly, as I illustrated in my first post.

I feel like I'm nit picking a great painter's work. The painting is wonderful. I just think a few anatomical things are holding it back. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2009/71979-horse.jpg

PainterIlya
05-18-2009, 02:12 PM
That is a better photo. But I think I see the same things I wrote about above.

I found a picture online which kind of illustrates what I was trying to say better. I think if you look at the front shoulder, you'll see the top where the shoulder bone pushes out at the bottom of the neck (we call this the 'withers.') needs to align with the angle of the shoulder, but not be quite so lumpy. I put a red arrow there, and a blue line on the shoulder angle.

The shoulder area of a horse I would expect to be much deeper. Arabian horses have delicate legs and faces, but tend to be very strong through the front chest area. I put another red arrow where the chest is over the front leg. The leg will sit back and be under the animal's body.

The halter is covering up the cheek in the picture, but you can still see the cheek is large, and rounded.

My photograph isn't the same pose at all, so my instincts about the eye are just that - instincts. I feel it needs to move slightly, as I illustrated in my first post.

I feel like I'm nit picking a great painter's work. The painting is wonderful. I just think a few anatomical things are holding it back. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2009/71979-horse.jpg

Dear Lynn, your critiques are right. It was an impulse when I have been painted this studhorse. Exterior of the Arabian horse was the basis of this etude. There are some mistakes in the cheek, head and manducatory muscle. But please don't forgive that this is an etude and the main thing in this case is general impression and movement. Their aim is expressiveness. As for the shoulder and forelegs I am sure that I take the right position and deep chest corresponds to the original. I upset the smoothness of line (it happens), I see it. But in the painting you have to exclude the photographic effect and naturalism because by this way you may corrupt the artistry and the freshness of impression. I think the process of study the human figure and horse's exterior is never-ending story. And its delight for me! My English is terrible so I hope you understood what I mean. Thank you very much for detail study of this painting. It is important for me.