PDA

View Full Version : Red Coat?

Chia
05-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Here's the painting that's had me pulling my hair out over the perspective issues. I think it's nearly there, but by no means perfect. It's a study for a part of a much larger painting that I have planned. I wanted to get some of the perspective & lighting techniques worked out before I launch into the bigger project. If you see anything that could use a tweak, speak now! :) This one is 18x14 on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2009/137335-Red_Coat_sml.jpg

Lovesorchids
05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
This looks like it could be a room in my house Chia. I like how you painted the wallpaper, everything looks great!

LavenderFrost
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Looks good.

susme48
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Gee, Coralie....perspective is Not one of my good things....when people draw all those lines leading to other lines....I am lost before I look....makes no sense to me....I don't have the kind of brain that sees spacially? if that is the right word. As soon as I found out what trig was....I dropped it like a hot potato!! Geometry was not that easy for this head of mine. IF the radiator is along the baseboard...should it be at the same angle? It seems to get too small at the far end, but that could be my eyes...

I love it just as it is...your paintings are so much fun, and this one is thought provoking!

loobyteacher
05-15-2009, 02:48 PM
looks good! The radiator seems a bit smallish, but that is my opinion

Molesworth
05-15-2009, 02:52 PM
It all looks great. I love the different textures you have created. A nit-pick on the perspective issue (the door and floor look perfect btw) is that the end of the radiator nearest the door should be vertical. As it is it looks as if it's leaning against the rest making the top look much smaller than the bottom.
Regards,
Peter

idylbrush
05-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Just wild about the style of painting you do. Very interesting and unique. Like it.

~~Kathleen
05-15-2009, 04:15 PM
WOW!
Who am I to critique this?
If only I was able to paint like this!
Love it Coralie, just love it.
~~Kathleen

PattiLou
05-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I love opening your posts to check out the latest.

The thing that stuck out perpective wise when I looked at the painting is the baseboard (trim) to the right side of the door (as we look at it) goes uphill just enough to be noticible. Try a straight line across both baseboards together.

I'm not great at perspective and you have done a nice job.

PainterDeb
05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow, very nice! I really love the feel to this one!

cadub
05-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Beautiful job!!

Bill_E
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I love this painting. Wonderful work on the wall paper! I was wondering why the crop on the jacket. I think I like it but I'm not sure.

I see the perspective problem you are faced with. The foreshortening of the radiator is enough of a challenge all by its self. I took the liberty of drawing on your painting. I hope it brings a little clarity to what others have already shared. I took a guess at where your horizon line was. The result is that I moved the corner of the wall and baseboard to the right (red lines) and re-shaped the radiator. The drawing is only for demonstration. You will have to work it to suit you :)

Hope it helps. JUST DON'T MESS WITH THIS ONE. Save any changes for the bigger one. This one is great! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2009/103224-137335-Red_Coat_sml_copy.jpg

objectivistartist
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Am a wee surprised the top of the coat hanging was clipped - makes it seem slightly off for lack of seeing how it is hung [different pegs or hooks make for different ways the cloth flows]... intrigued at how this will fit in the larger work - what that work will look like...

OkeeKat
05-15-2009, 10:41 PM
WOW Coralie!! This is Fabulous, love the bold red coat!!
The wallpaper is awesome, such details!! Excellently rendered!!:clap:
:heart:

susme48
05-16-2009, 12:07 AM
... intrigued at how this will fit in the larger work - what that work will look like...
I think we all are....ok Coralie...you better get painting...we all have our chairs pulled up! :)

Anyone bring coffee??http://www.pic4ever.com/images/mocantina.gif

Chia
05-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow! You guys (and girls!) are awesome. You've pinpointed areas that were bothering me and I didn't know why. All who suggested that the radiator was off were absolutely right. And Bill, I think you nailed it. The study for the larger piece allows for more wall space on the right of the door. In an effort to make this stand alone I squeezed it together a bit, but still wanted to fit in that radiator.... and in doing so, I complicated things. The vanishing point is somewhere in the middle of the coat, slightly more than halfway up. I'll make an attempt to at least make the radiator work on this one and will most certainly keep in mind your suggestions for the larger piece. As for the crop on the coat, well in the larger piece the coat will not be the focal point and will be less bright and less detailed. But it will be important element in the narrative. I originally intended for this to be a fairly simple study with all of the elements less fully realised, but I got so involved with the perspective issues that I ended up taking it further than intended. Given that, does this composition stand alone? I'm not sure if I should sign it and call it a complete painting or just put it away & use just as a reference for the ultimate version. Oh, and Kathie - I may be cursing that wallpaper later on - the next piece has a lot more wall!
Anyway, thankyou all for your generous comments!

howyadoin
05-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Beautiful work here. I love that wallpaper, and the rendering on the door is just amazing.

Andun
05-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Nothing more to say that hasn't been said Coralie! Love,love,love you work!!!!!

C_Line
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
I love this scene...it's conceptually simple, texturally rich and has wonderful contrasts. Couldn't what you call the perspective issues add to the edginess of the scene? The somewhat surreal feel? Too much perfection can, I feel lead to a sterile feeling. This reminds me of my grandmother's house in which nothing ever seemed to change and now I often remember in dreams...and you know about dreams, nothing is exactly as it should be. I think the off kilter perspective might add to the persona of the scene. If that's your intention.

Wonderful work you do Coralie.

arl
05-16-2009, 09:08 AM
This is wonderful. I love the colours and the way you did the wall.

gaykir
05-16-2009, 09:47 AM
WOW! Frankly I'm awed by the perspective! I couldn't come close to this but what ia really amazing is your detail in the wallpaper! I'd be crazy before I finished! Grand job!

RPut
05-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I think we all are....ok Coralie...you better get painting...we all have our chairs pulled up! :)

Anyone bring coffee??http://www.pic4ever.com/images/mocantina.gif

MEEE TOOOOO!!
And soaking up the perspective advice as I am working on something with lots of it!

Bill_E
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
...does this composition stand alone? I'm not sure if I should sign it and call it a complete painting or just put it away & use just as a reference for the ultimate version.Sign it! It stands alone. Use it as reference too.

...I may be cursing that wallpaper later on - the next piece has a lot more wall!:evil: hehehe...careful what you start :lol:

Chia
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks so much for the comments everyone!
Couldn't what you call the perspective issues add to the edginess of the scene? The somewhat surreal feel? Too much perfection can, I feel lead to a sterile feeling. This reminds me of my grandmother's house in which nothing ever seemed to change and now I often remember in dreams...and you know about dreams, nothing is exactly as it should be. I think the off kilter perspective might add to the persona of the scene. If that's your intention. Celeste, you have a really good point here, and it is one to which I've given a lot of thought. I'd really like it if the larger painting had that "off kilter" feel. My concern is that it will seem either too contrived or just inept painting. Gah! How do those surrealists find the right balance? Maybe I'm just over-thinking. :confused:

This reminds me of my grandmother's house in which nothing ever seemed to change and now I often remember in dreams...and you know about dreams, nothing is exactly as it should be
I have those same dreams. Sort of a crazy deja-vu feeling...

hehehe...careful what you start
How right you are Bill! You'd think I would have learned my lesson from the Comics painting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectivistartist
... intrigued at how this will fit in the larger work - what that work will look like...
I think we all are....ok Coralie...you better get painting...we all have our chairs pulled up!
Uh-oh, pressure's on! :wink2: Susan, you can take a break to go out for coffee, it's going to be a little while before I launch into the big one. I have some small Summer projects that I need to get done first, but if you are interested I will post WIP's when I get started. Actually, based on the advice I've gotten here, I think it will be most helpful to do that!