PDA

View Full Version : El Mandela de las Mujeres

bairam
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks to Kathy and her MTM Class: Abstracts-Stretch Your Creativity, Feb. 15-25 for opening a whole new way of using acrylics to me.
I am not new to art but, I am new to Acrylics and what one can do with them. Kathy's approach in this class was using them as if they were watercolors, which I am very used to using.

Here is the result of that class. Thank you Kathy.
I dedicate this piece to women through the ages who where rarely recognized for their needlework.

Acrylic on Arches 300#HP, Liquitex Acrylics
Size 15 x 15

PattiLou
05-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Maria, Kathy had a good class didn't she? I don't know much (make that anything) about abstracts but I love the colors you used.

How nice to dedicate the piece to women who are rarely recognized. My grandmother would have been one of them, she was always very busy with all the neelework, raising a family, gardening, feeding the farm animals, canning, etc.

I need to get back to that class after I finish my trees for the "Trees and Foliage class. Maybe I will learn a little bit about abstract.

Hope to see more from you.

bairam
05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Thank you so much Patti for commenting and understanding my intent in the title.

What stong women our grandmothers were. I do believe we are still stong even though we don't have to tend the farm animals anylong, well at least I don't. LOL

I really appreciate your comments.

~~Kathleen
05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I so agree with the both of you.
I remember both my grandmothers, even when they were sitting, always having a darning needle and or a knitting needle in their hands. They worked so very hard and produced so much.
I do like the way you have almost "Boxed" this work. Like a frame of honour.
Lovely gentle but with a strong impact.
Well done.
~~Kathleen

OkeeKat
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Hiya Maria!!:wave:
This is Gorgeous! I love these kinda works that Kathy has taught, I'm not an abstract fan, but learning more and more about them and understanding them as well as appreciating them more since I've been here on this forum and seen all kinds of different styles.
This method is fascinating how you achive those colors in the background is amazing.
Pastel colors are my favorites, soft tones and you realy have that there.
Is the line around the border a gold leaf? its realy pretty.
I'm still trying to figure out the center, its quite unique but not distracting at all.
All in awe this is a great work of art, i admire those that can do this style.
Good Job!!:clap:

bairam
05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Thank you Kathleen and Kathy. I appreciate your taking a look at my work.

Kathy I have not done a lot of abstracts myself but this method lent itself very well to what I'm familular with, watercolors.

The center of this piece is a crochet ornament that I traced around and then covered that section with masking to keep it clean until the end. Then I put a light blue wash over it and indicated the holes.

The gold paint was a tube of Susie Shewee acrylic that someone gave me a long time ago. I never expected to use it, but it was perfect here.

Thank you again for your comments

loobyteacher
05-15-2009, 11:05 AM
very nice! I think it is always a good idea to push ourselves into new areas of growth, and you have done a great job on this!

OkeeKat
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks Maria, I can see that now in the center. appreciate you clarifying that for me. Great idea!!

Katwyld
05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Very nice... You've done well with this, and it almost has a little bit of an optical illusion effect to me, too.

noodle1
05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Well I'm not missing it now, great colors! I too am not too familiar with abstracts and fail miserably but you've done a good job on this. Ask Kathy she'll tell ya...LOL You're talking about needlework and I'm looking at it thinking how it would as well make a wonderful pattern for squares in a quilt, that's what my grandma use to do.

Well done!
Elaine

bairam
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks Colleen, Katlee and Elaine.

Yes it does have a optical elusion to it. I like to think of it as having depth. Quilting is one of those needle arts that, until recently, was not appreciated as art. Thanks to the women of Gees Bend, GA, all that changed.

I also do needle work, mostly sewing and knitting and have posted in the Fiber Arts forum. I'll have to stop by there and show them this piece.

biddlebeach
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Hello Maria! I am totally clueless when it comes to abstract art, but this is quite nice! Welcome to the acrylics forum. Hope to see more of you and your works.

susme48
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Maria...I really like this!! As some have said, I remember my one grandma, and other relatives doing things like this...they never just sat...not very often anyway. My other grandma, well, she just never did do grandma things, but everyone else in the family did; who knows why.

Bertoni
05-15-2009, 02:54 PM
El Mandela esta muy bueno!!! Fine looking work!:clap: :clap:

Bright Eyes
05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Looks great! I really like the background and how you have the square lines overlapping. Very nice effect:thumbsup: