PDA

View Full Version : "Vitiated" a double portrait

ErinEmily
05-14-2009, 08:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-14-2009/182870_Vitiated_May2009_EERobinson_inprogress_SM.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Vitiated" a double portrait
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I recently took a bunch of photos in sepia of a friend and I, this is a painting based off one of them. She really looked the corrupted matron or school teacher... or even mother and I tried to look the part of a child... ha ha not sure if I managed but hey it was fun! It's still in progress and I am trying VERY hard not to tighten up too much. Let me know what you think needs work. Thanks!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Let me know what you think needs work. Thanks!

Corby
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I think you succeeded beautifully in your characterizations! From my standpoint of limited knowledge it looks quite right! proceed!

Sam_I_Am
05-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I there, Erin :) I think you've captured to 'feel' you were looking for beautifully. You have a few anatomical problems. Look again at the 'mother's' midsection. Her torso is much too thin at the waist and almost appears to be turned in a completely different directin. Expand the back and a little bit in the stomach and it'll make more sense. I think the problem may have stemmed from the fact that her shoulder closest to us is a little shallow. There's also an odd 'bump' in her arm that's bothering me a bit. Lastly, I would darken the pillow on the left a little to help "pop" your figure.

This is on its way to being a really great little painting - just needs a little tweaking. The hard part its done :)

MRSBB
05-15-2009, 01:38 AM
I think it tells the story. Reminds me of my Mom who used to make my sister and I brush our hair 100 strokes a day, said a ladies hair is her crowning glory. So thanks, a nice memory.........Lenore

ErinEmily
05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments and suggestions! I do agree Steph that the back is too narrow, looking back at my photo it def needs expanding. The arm is still a bit in progress, but will soften that bump down. I guess it's the odd twist to her middle that had me confused :o I also think you are right about the pillow, will darken down, thought about it as I was working but then decided to leave it until further working the corset. There is a darker pattern on the cream pillow but I didn't think I should tighten that up much, keep the focus on the figures. Do you get a feeling they are on a bench at all?? I am trying to loosen up and not develop the whole scene which is a tendancy for me. Thanks again for the input, I will re-post after I do more work :wink2:

ErinEmily
05-15-2009, 09:30 PM
:) There, I think I am all done now without going overboard on the details. I took the advice and put it to good use and am now happy with the results! Boy am I ever happy to have found this site!! Finally some input and creative friends!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2009/182870-Vitiated_May2009_EERobinson_SM.jpg

LynnDigby
05-16-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2009/71979-182870-Vitiated_May2009_EERobinson_SM.jpg
I've managed to make the top of her head look like she's got a cat sleeping on it. But I was trying to illustrate the idea that perhaps her head wasn't tall enough. You painted the hair very well before I messed with it.

This is a nice painting. I think you have achieved your goals.