PDA

View Full Version : 'Going to the River'

totsy
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-14-2009/158729_.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-14-2009/158729_Going_to_the_River.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-14-2009/158729_Going_to_the_River_3.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 'Going to the River'
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14X12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted this when I was merely visiting WC and not paying much attention to the C&Cs (i.e. painting sky, trees, foreground, etc.) I am not sure that I can make changes to this now since I've already applied acrylic matt va<br>ish. Can I?? However, I want to paint these kyaks again, but I want to do a much, much better job this time. And I think I will because you guys are arming me with all this great knowledge!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please tell me if this one can be improved in its present condition? Also any suggestions/recommendations how I can do better with the next one would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>The other two images are provided so you can see better what's going on.<br><br><br>'One Love'<br><br>Totsy

Spyderbabe
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I dont think you should try to paint over these. The original will only get murky. And this has a nice jaunty feel to it.
Its much better to do another one. Why not start it and post it in the WIP forum (works in progress forum at the top of this form) you'll get lots of help along the way.

tgsloth
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Kathleen's right, I think, in a way. But you're in a heavy learning phase and part of the learning process, an integral part, is to figure how to improve paintings which are "done", maybe after getting comments. One professional artist wrote that when a painting is "done", he hangs it on the wall and over a couple of weeks keeps touching it until "it no longer annoys".

Anyhow, the point of varnish is that it's removable. It's there to protect the painting and give it an even veneer but it can be easily stripped with the right solvent without bothering the painting. I'd suggest removing varnish could be part of your learning. The varnish maker will have a spec on how to remove the varnish.

I further agree with Kathleen that you've got a good jaunty painting with a few issues. I think the kayaks are well and loosely painted. And you've got a great technique going on the trees. I think your fixes should be:

Don't show the butt of the Jeep leaving the painting. Overpaint it with more foliage which would leave the trailer and kayaks sitting there parked. Simpler, better.

The ground doesn't look right. Puffy, color shapes. I'd go with a beige dirt road treatment (or red if we're still in Georgia). And you've brought these puffy shapes up and around the kayaks in a kind of halo. We should be able to see the beautiful foliage between the kayaks.

Whether you repaint or repair, I look forward to your next post.

totsy
05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Spiderbabe, thanks.

TG, there is indeed a remover. Only snag...I've got to buy it! Maybe. Challenges like this cannot but cause me to grow and improve I hope.

Thanks to you both.

Totsy

Sam_I_Am
05-14-2009, 11:56 PM
If you do buy the remover, I might suggest removing the 'halo' effect you have around the kayaks. Its the way the lighter grass traces all the way around the boats in a "too perfect" way. I would extend the bushes to the edge of the boat at the top, and the sides. It might even help improve the depth of the painting.

Good job - Hope you work something out with the varnish.

tony1
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Just wanted to say that you can paint over the varnish.

I've used a technique where you apply paint and then apply a gloss varnish and then apply paint over the gloss varnish which allows very whispy types of brush strokes and you can do this in layers (I believe the technique is called Parrish). I modified it for my purposes by using damp papertowels in conjunction with the brushes. I was able to get very soft textures and depth of layers as shown here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377277
The fog was created by this process of painting then gloss varnishing several times. The last coat of varnish is matt so I don't get the shiny effect.

The point of this whole story is I've painted over varnish (with acrylics, I can't speak to oils) and not had any problems.

That being said, I would leave this one be and start a new one. That's a personal preference if there's things I don't like about a painting I'll just start over. Sometimes the paint will get an overworked look (clumps and unwanted textures) if you work the acrylic too much, in my limited experience.

Nice painting, hang it and move on.

totsy
05-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Ditto that Tony1. At my painting rate, to repair this is going to take another unlimited months. I'll just start a new one because I had done some overworking on the trees already anyway.

Thanks all for the suggestions and recommendations. TGsloth, I'm not copping out on learning, but I went to one of the biggest art store in Atlanta and they did'nt have the acrylic varnish remover anyway. So that cinches that.

Totsy