PDA

View Full Version : Alone

laudesan
05-14-2009, 08:11 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-14-2009/22284_Alone_and_waiting.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Alone
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12"x16"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was asked to paint another dinghy on the waterfront. I would like your eyes please.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
...anything

LynnDigby
05-14-2009, 08:43 AM
I love this one! I don't think you need the little white birds at all, though.

tgsloth
05-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Well, if you wait long enough, the pelican is just gonna fly away. The boat is very well painted and compositionally sits perfect in the painting. My crits would be that I think the sky should be noticeably lighter than the water and similarly, the beach puddles are not convincing. They would never be the intense blue you've selected but would reflect a light sky. Sometimes, depending on the angle, puddles look dark.

I live 300 mi from the beach. Phooey.

Mikey
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Beautiful colours to make a sure seller in my opinion. Could the far side of the boats transom be a fraction smaller due to perspective?

Corby
05-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice JJ.! And yes, I too expected mr. pelican to come soaring back into the picture! TG's point about the sky is good to note.

laudesan
05-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I will look at those sky colours again, maybe get rid of the seagulls on the beach?

The transom reads alright in person, but I will double check..

Thank you for your observations folks. :-)

MRSBB
05-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi JJ. I like this one also, but do miss the pelican. I think if the water was closer to the boat then the puddles would read better, just a thought.....Lenore

mackb
05-15-2009, 01:22 AM
I like the birds there and the sky IS too blue, which is easy to fix. I might add some dry spots of sand for variety. But as I said before, I just love this pic.

thomas w
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I like the composition and limited palette.

laudesan
05-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Corby I think the pelican flew the coop. Maybe he has gone to look for a girlfriend.

The little birds have gone.

Lenore, I painted the water so far away, because that is how it is on Wynnum beach, a very long way out at low tide. It is a local scene and a popular one. The puddles left behind, are because this a a very muddy beach, it is mangrove mud. There were mangrove trees growing all along the coast, and they were removed for progress, the mud however stayed. It stinks too at low tide..

Bruce I lightened the sky a little on the horizon line. Dry sand is out, it is a local scene, and there is no dry sand in amongst that mud. :-)

Thomas thank you.