PDA

View Full Version : Pecking Order Finale

dgford
05-14-2009, 06:57 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-14-2009/104792_pecking_order_finale.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pecking Order Finale
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: abt 25 x 40cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was experimenting by using acrylics as watercolours when I did this a few years ago. Then I concentrated on Calligraphy and Heraldic Art and just recently retu<br>ed to real watercolours.<br><br>The subject is gruesome but came as a result of seeing a small flock of birds suddenly tu<br> on one of them and actually killed it by continuous pecking !!! The three to the left were an additon of mine portraying young birds, not yet knowing what was going on but obviously disturbed by the activity.<br><br>It was sold within a week to a visitor in my office who saw it hanging on the wall.<br><br>I have already displayed this on another forum --- but I think this one will be more valuable.<br><br>Geoff

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this composition hone in on the event? Does it convey the callous nature of the happening? Anything and everything, please.

tgsloth
05-14-2009, 08:54 AM
This is remarkable, Geoff. Birds do Julius Caesar. The sense of movement, colors and jarring narrative put it way ahead of anything I've ever done. I can find no ideas for improvement.

allanom
05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Brilliantly realized. The addition of the young birds watching is hugely poignant -- ensuring the continuation of the macabre instinct of turning on one's own weaklings. An extraordinary piece on many levels.

mozapony
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
QUOTE:
"MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this composition hone in on the event? Does it convey the callous nature of the happening? Anything and everything, please."

geesh, Geoff, you're making me cry to see this captured and in the colours of life that are rich with bloodsport.

I've no nits on this one. All the emotional elements are there from the gangland bullying, revenge, over crowding, desperation, red with embarrassment/helplessness, watchful eyes, etc. etc. ... so visceral. The black in the heart of this speaks volumes and the surreal aspects adds further to the getting on with business and frenzy. waaaay good stuff.

The most important feature of impact is: an extremely high quality for its portrayal of metaphor.

Love the work, hate the sadness in regards to the life cycle, reality really sucks sometimes. Real emotive art, the best kind. Bravo.
regards
Sandee

Corby
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
The abstracted way in which the beaks have been dealt with...combining them all to a degree where they almost visually fuse and constitute a funnel of death as it were, directing the emotion seen in the eyes...it really imprints the action and meaning on our senses...

dgford
05-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I must apologise for not responding to your great comments before now. No excuses !!

How is it that other viewers can delve into our works and see more than the artist can --- yet be so often so accurate. Your responses have really opened my eyes !!! It seems as though much of this painting was quite instinctive. I don't remember consciously including this or that for any over-riding reason. It just developed on its own.

Bob. what a great choice of words -- "jarring narrative" -- and why didn't I think of that !! It really hits the nail on the head.

"-- ensuring the continuation of the macabre instinct of turning on one's own weaklings --" Allan, at the time it just seemed the right thing to do --- to show how the whole scene was upsetting for young ones. Yet you have put your finger right on the spot by making your observation. The frightening observation of the act had to be indelibly seared into their memories as a possible means of survival one day. That insight, as far as I can remember, never consciously entered my thoughts on the day of the painting.

Mozapony (goodness only knows what there is behind that great name!),
".. the black in the heart ..." wasn't something that I designed to be there as it is ! Looking at it now, it appears to be a bottomless, inevitable receiver of doom. No escape. A sort of macabre (surreal?) black hole waiting to suck in the victim at the final moment. You have made many really telling comments. Thank you.

Corby, I really like that about the beaks "..almost visually fuse and constitute a funnel of death .." . I consciously (at last, they say!!)portrayed the beaks in the simple, long, rapier-like killing instruments but the idea of clustering them like "a funnel of death ... to direct the emotion" must have emerged from the subconscious in me. I intentionally portrayed the birds as being quite impersonal about the activity, standing and darting their beaks like the pistons in an engine, not wanting or being able to stop --- there's a job to be done, so do it !!!.

Thank you all for contributing to my better understanding of what I achieved. And now, Allan, I will accept your "brilliantly realized" because
(a) I have only ever dreamt of being brilliant and (b) obviously, I must think less and just "let it come out" more often !!!

Geoff