PDA

View Full Version : Chasing my Rainbow - C & C please

nithya_swamy
05-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Just completed this portrait of my daughter playing with soap bubbles. I had to work from a hopeless photo, since it was shot indoors on an overcast day! Added the backdrop on my own. Something about this doesn't feel alright to me. Though I feel I have captured a decent likeness, I think it just lacks life. Any pointers to improve are greatly appreciated people. Thanks a bunch :)

My reference -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2009/12423-Copy_of_CIMG4472.jpg

My painting, completed but not at all happy!:(
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2091/3530662678_13a5842f40_o.jpg

Let me know if a higher res image of the reference would help. Thank you.

idylbrush
05-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Consider putting it away for a bit and then look at it again with a fresh eye.

Another thing might be to look at it in a mirror or turn the painting upside down and study it that way. This tends to confuse the mind and then you can see things a bit more clearly.

Very clever idea by the way. Worth trying again.
Also, there is nothing that says you can't stop here and start another of the same posture. Sometimes starting fresh will also help you see things in a different light.

noodle1
05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Love the concept, and I think you did a fine job. Backgrounds can be tough when you're pulling it out of nowhere, but just me would have probably have chosen a bit more stark and blurred one, you caught the feel just in her and the bubbles, think the background disrupts it a bit. Love the wonder in her face. Definitely worth pursuing!

Elaine

gaykir
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Darling! I love how you've captured the bubbles. I would soften the line on the front of her neck as it moves into the body. Right now it has a rather abrupt end as though her head and neck were just plopped onto a body. The back of her neck is great it's only the front that's a little discoincerting. Otherwise I just love this!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
i agreee - it does not suck -- ok
just take a break and work on it some more!!!!

LavenderFrost
05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Looks pretty good. I really love the bubbles!

susme48
05-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Nithya, this is truly charming!! I agree with Elaine on maybe toning the BG down just a bit, and I noticed the neck too, as Gayle said...just a little blending!! You have really captured wonderful look on her face!! She is adorable. IF you want to, the only two facial areas that I see that are a touch off is her eye closest to us is a bit longer...I think there is some shadow in the pic that is misleading; and her nose is a bit less defined on the side away from us, with less nostril showing. I cannot imagine not painting her constantly....she is a doll!! Are the colors on her face the same as her arm? it is hard to tell on my monitor...I seem to see more pink in her face?

Don't give up on this one...she will grow up sooooo fast!!! How big is it?

Eddie00
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I love this piece, I believe it was made from the heart.

Aires
05-14-2009, 07:22 PM
The concept is delightful! Wonderful use of colors and facial expression. Don't give up, this is well worth some effort and will be a treasure in years to come.