PDA

View Full Version : Lunch in the Shade

Roun2it
05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi, I am normally over in the Watercolour Forums but have decided to give my Acrylics another run out. This is my second acrylic, the first one about 4 years ago ........:eek: I didn't make it easy for myself either as this is the largest painting I have ever done. It is 34.5 x 25 inches (860 x 640 mm) and has taken me ages to complete.

It is from this photo which I took on a river walk near Betws-y-Coed (pronounced - Betsy Coid) in North Wales last year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/23314-cows.jpg

The painting is on 6mm MDF board which was sealed and treated to 3 coats of Gesso before I painted a tonal under painting. Now this to me as a watercolourist is totally foreign and learning to work from dark to light and just being able to over paint your mistakes is something I found difficult to get used to. :D

I did change the cows from young heifers to black and white Friesians as I thought they were more painterly .......:)

The thing I did find out about using acrylics is it is even more difficult to say when you have done enough ....... I found I could fiddle forever then find something that was wrong then rectify it ............. then fiddle ............

I enjoyed the excursion ......... and this is what I did ......... C&C welcome. Still haven't decided about the fence in the b/g .... should it go in or not.

Lunch In The Shade
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/23314-Acrylic-Cows.jpg

idylbrush
05-13-2009, 05:00 PM
lovely, great shadows and terrific changes to content.

gaykir
05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Kev - I 'm so pleased you gave acrylics another shot! This is quite lovely and cows are pretty popular in this forum! I love the textures you've created with color. Nice work indeed!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
05-13-2009, 07:51 PM
i luv your interpretation!

Lulu
05-14-2009, 03:45 AM
they certainly are enjoying their lunch in the shade Kev! very nice interpretation of the photo - great to see you in the acrylic forum too! I wouldn't add the fence, I don't think it needs it, but what is bothering me a bit is that cloud column on the viewer's right which takes the eye off the painting.

Yorky
05-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Good for you Kev. I have Schminke acrylics but I haven't opened them yet.

Nice work, I like your description of the difference between watercolour and acrylics.

I took a very similar photo on Sunday at Newby Hall.

Doug

shipbroker
05-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Kev...nice detail....you'll do well with acrylics!

rgds
geoff

laudesan
05-14-2009, 04:31 AM
I would leave out the fence too. Did you bump up the colour saturation before posting? Your cows look a little, harsh? for want of a better word.

Love those shadows and the added colour you put into this painting.

nithya_swamy
05-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Awesome. Lovely shadows, great interpretation of the reference.

noodle1
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
You seem to do quite nicely with the acrylics, great interprutation!
Well done, great use of colors, very vibrant and clean.

Elaine

olliewood0702
05-14-2009, 09:19 AM
WONDERFUL ACRYLIC painting Kev!! WOW.....your painting looks incredible and like you've painted in acrylic for years and years ;) I like it just the way it is....although if you add the fence I'm sure it would look nice. Glad you enjoyed doing this. I've just purchased some acrylic's and am about to take the plunge. :D

arl
05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Wonderful colours, light and shadow.

CharM
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Kev... always the colourist, it doesn't matter what medium you work in... this is HUGE and you really did set the bar very high for yourself... you certainly excelled in your first attempt and this is just beautiful! :clap:

Strawberry Wine
05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Kev,

Extremely well done.. Your tree is excellent... Love the foreground too.. I do agree with Lulu about the cloud bank. Perhaps add some of the sky blue back into the upper corner.

I have some acrylics too and tried a couple of small paintings and couldn't get a handle on them.

I think maybe part of the problem is they are Liquitex Basics... Student grade ???

Cheers,

Gail

LavenderFrost
05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Nice work, I see you are not shy about using colour. I think the fence would be a nice touch.

The cloud on the right side is distracting though.

Roun2it
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
HLC, thanks, when I first put the shadow colour down it filled the right corner and was quite intimidating.

Gayle, I'm glad also that I gave acrylics another go, also that you guys like cows ... :)

Ms SP Thanks.

Lulu, I wanted to take the cloud out, but got used to it, but you are right it is a bit distracting.

Doug, I've just been reading that you can use a Ruling Pen with acrylics too. So who knows you may need to give them a go some day .....

Geoff, thanks for the confidence boost ...

JJ, I took this shot with the flash last evening. It was so dull here, and uploaded it on the old computer so you may be right about saturation. I have taken another shot of it with the good camera so I'll put it in at the end of this post. The cows are darker, but I think they will need to go even darker still ........... see you just can't stop fiddling with this stuff ........:lol:

Nithya, Thanks.

Elaine, I love colour and ramping it up a little.

Darla, Thanks I have a lot to learn ..... you should have a go, they are very forgiving.

Arl, thanks.

Char, I know I just can't get away from the colour thing ...... but hey maybe I don't want to ......... :thumsup: and yes it is huge for me ......

Gail, I think I will play with the sky a little.

Lavender, you are right I love to push the colours. Jury still out on the fence though.

Thank you for looking and commenting ..............:clap: :clap:

I haven't touched this yet it is just taken with a different camera to see if the saturation is different.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2009/23314-Lunch-in-the-Shade.jpg

AndyMcC
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Very nice, I like the colour of the shadows and the trees...it's all really good :D

objectivistartist
05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes - that cloud is VERY distracting... and, too, would dull the rear right trees to match the left one, so the main tree stands out more... otherwise, terrific rendering, with great shadowing...:thumbsup:

laudesan
05-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Cows look better now.

gmarie
05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Kev, this is amazing. It's gorgeous. I love it.
It looks like pastels. It's wonderful.
I love what some say is "exaggerated".
For me it's the real thing.
The shading in the field especially.
No limits.
Rich.
Great job!

OkeeKat
05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Looks Great Kev!! awesome folage and grass!

Roun2it
05-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks again for your comments.

Kathie, Gladys Marie, Andy.

JJ glad the cows now please you ........ I think I will put them back a little more though.

Robert, you may be right about the trees to the right, I will look to bluing them off a little when I sort out the cows ......... :thumbsup:

Lady Carol
05-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Wonderfully done. The colours are terrific and your interpretation excellent. I am glad that you did not put the fence in. It would not have added anything

objectivistartist
05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Very true - adding the fence would have just 'fenced things in' :rolleyes:...