GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pepper, apple, cucumber, tomato and strawberries
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 15 X 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this one before for Bob and Mackb's Paint Out 8.<br>At that time I painted it on board and as I thought it would be a hash of a painting I didn't bother to gesso the board first. As it tu<br>ed out I really liked that painting but now I think I can see the board coming through the paint .....<br>That is the reason I am painting another one .....<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything .....I need a critique .....

JudithAdene
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Hello Mooz,
I just came back from a walk in the woods. It great to see the fresh green leaves of Spring. The greens in you painting are just as spectacular. Love this work.

tgsloth
05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
OK, critique:
Compositionally, it looks like the veggies are all glued to the cucumber and are floating. Maybe that doesn't matter, you were just trying to paint the elements but it certainly limits the effectiveness of the painting as a painting.
The forms are all drafted well but not, I think, modeled well. You've got highlights, mid tones and shadows rather abruptly painted without good transitions. But then, you're using acrylics and they're hard to blend. Us lazy dogs use oils or Golden Open acrylics. And last point, you've got really hard edges against the dark background. Blur them and the elements won't look so cut-out.

MRSBB
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Mooz. I think you did a great job on the still life, much better than I could do. When I am trying new subjects and get my values set, sometimes I go google up paintings that I like and try to replicate how they applied the colors and blending and shadowing. I think you are advancing in leaps and bounds, just keep having fun...............Lenore

greensyster
05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
What Bob said - spot on. And yes, you are getting better and better with every image you post, Anne.

ponting
05-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Anne. Acrylics can be such a struggle but I think you have some good advice here. I would like to add to that by tagging on a few digital suggestions.

I have done the following.

changed the foreground which looks to be more in keeping with your set up as there appeared to be some reflected light on the backsides of your strawberries...great strawberries, by the way!
created shadows for all of the fruit especially on the cuke behind the tomato.
softened up your white highlights as various fruit surfaces show the shine differently. Tomatoes for instance, are duller and tend to have much softer edges on their shines than something hard like the apple or pepper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/34523-27632_Still_Life.jpg

I don't know if you had started to peel that cuke before you painted it but it kind of looks like that in the way you have depicted it. I can't stand the things so have never had a close association with one but I think they it might look more like this on the right end.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/34523-27632_Still_Life_cuke.jpg

In any event...you are doing great and I hope this is of some assistance.

Cheers, Di

laudesan
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Picture is nice and bright, this one is easy to go to dark with, I know :D

Your tomato looks a little too flat and the leaves look like a spider :-) Even though the leaves are thin, they still need shading top and bottom to make them look like leaves. Fatten your tomato up a little and and don't forget to add the shadow from the leaves of your fruit onto the fruit. I only see one, on the tomato. Also, deepen your shading to the same depth as the strawberry shadows.

Strawberries look delicious!!!

Don't use white, ever, for the highlights. It looks more natural if you use the base colour to tint the white. Where you want the white to look extra bright make it a very pale blue.

That apple looks super.

The capsicum looks really good too, just the stalk needs to be a little thicker, at the base.

I would have used more blue in your green for the cucumber, and tidy up that reflection on the end, it looks messy. You still have the photo of the first one you painted, go back and look how you painted that cucumber, it was great.

:-)

mooz49
05-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Wow! ....thank you all for taking the time to comment and advise ....you have given me lots to think about and you are helping me to understand a bit more about this painting lark!! ..... I do appreciate it!! :thumbsup: