PDA

View Full Version : Study for larger work

greensyster
05-13-2009, 01:52 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-12-2009/135872_1770study_lorikeets.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Study for larger work
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 12 ins
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have done a series of studies for my larger work titled '110' (and for which I again thank everyone for their valuable input). This one is of the lorikeet - seriously showy nectar eating bird that rarely travels alone.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Although the study compositions are not what I used in the main work, nevertheless I did use the COI. So I would like feed back on the viability of selling studies (etudes) for final paintings. I have five in total and am busy 'brushing them up' so to speak as the main [ainting goes on exhibition in less than a fortnight.<br><br>As always, C&C is most welcome on any aspect ( other than my shoe size)

MRSBB
05-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Hi Marie. This is sure a cheerful painting and I would love to see that lorikeet in person. It must be amazing as it is so colorful. There is no doubt he is the COI, but I feel he is too large in comparison to the tree. I don't have p/s, but maybe he would look better down at the level of the two smaller birds. Just my thoughts. Hope all is well in your world.........Lenore

La_
05-13-2009, 02:28 AM
reference study sources if necessary and sell sell sell ... i think it's legit to market them ... is that what you're asking?

quite a diff in size o' birds, did you moderate that a bit in the larger? just curious ... i think slightly tilted upward from rather than parallel with the horizon and a titch smaller would be cool for the large boid, who's gorgeous btw, and maybe a teeeeny titch larger on the couple?

just thinkin out loud

la

greensyster
05-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Lenore - first of all - I love your new Avatar! The children told me you were lovely in person, they were right :) I did the bird in a lot of detail cos it is up close to the viewer's eye in comparison to the tree which has little or no detail thinking (in my hermit like way) that that would provide the perspective. Not so, I see! Is one allowed to say buggar on WC! ? Thank you as always.

La - think out load as often as you wish - I eavesdrop and learn much :) Yes that is what I was asking - Obviously they are not as 'finished' as the final product and the COI is repeated in the main picture therefore I was a bit worried it was like 'copying' one's own work so not original. Phew - thank goodness I am a pedant. Bird upward would have been better - I had in my thinking she was swooping down on some flowers but for symetry upwards would have been better. Why didn't you tell me earlier - what kinda friend are you????? :lol: I am going to try bringing forward the dead tree in the front so Lorikeet can be about to land on it. If I stuff this up, it is all your fault - OK? :evil:

Corby
05-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Greensys...this is lovely, I recognized it immediately. However it seems to me that the large bird being fitted into the slot with such calculation makes it look contrived. If you pull the greenery part way in behind him he looks more like he is air born in the foreground instead of a flat piece of a puzzle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2009/70790-lorikeets.jpg

greensyster
05-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Corby - I did a fast edit on my earlier reply to Elenore and la cos I worked out what I might do to 'save' the study (hopefully) I will repost when done and thank you for your input as comes to the same concept to improve the piece.

laudesan
05-13-2009, 04:06 AM
YES!!!!!!! Sell the studies, and for a darn high price too, they are valuable.. Don't alter them in any way, shape, or form, they are studies. You go for it and good luck..

greensyster
05-13-2009, 04:38 AM
JJ - thank you for that. I have 'tweaked' three so far as were a bit rough - but if you don't tell anyone, I wont. :)

billmahler
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
the viability of selling studies (etudes) for final paintings
You really don't have a clue as what people will or will not buy, or why, till you ask them.
I once put what I thought was an excellent portrait of a young man in an outdoor show and some guy loved it because it reminded him of Queen Elizabeth!!!

I love the vitality of this little study. I don't think the bird is too large, rather I think the warmth and intensity of the background is making the bird seem part of it, and therefore too large.
Graying down the background a bit will make the bird's size more logical, I think.
Or.. just leave it alone.. it hums the way it is.

Spyderbabe
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Sell 'em! As the supporting cast members in the larger production they should have added value!
Check the horizon line on this..seems to be right in the middle?

tgsloth
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Sure sell studies. Folks sell prints. But maintain some integrity. Restrict sales to air breathing mammels.

greensyster
05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Bill - thank you for that input. I did more than tweak with the lorikeet prior to reading JJ's advise not to change a study. Made the bird a tad smaller and added a bit of bush. Can grey down background since I have already mucked up the image I guess to technically still be a 'study' - thank you.

Bob - Such sound advise as always - right then - 'Limited Original (Almost) Etudes of Air Breathing Mammals Only' - makes a snappy title for an exhibition :)

michelle021
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Beautiful work! The colors really grab the attention of the viewer. Great use of warm and cool.

allanom
05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Lots of great stuff happening in this piece. Agree with Corby's suggestion about the contrived placement of the bird.

greensyster
05-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Allan - thank you. I also agreed with Corby et al and have greyed out a bit of the background, shrunk the lorikeet and rearranged a bush or two and now I am happy with it. I have 6 studies for the main painting and am now happy with four of them (see below) but still getting splinters deciding about the other two... Still four to be happy with is no mean feat for moi! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/135872-studies.jpg

mooz49
05-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Beautiful bird .....beautiful studies .....I love the warmth in your paintings Marie .....it tells me you must have a lot of warmth in your heart :heart:

Corby
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Greensys! glad to have seen these I just love the warm glow that permeates them. Very much like here at home. I understand that the southern coastline of California is quite similar to Australia...

greensyster
05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Anne - thank you and I think you are right as I have had a lot of love in my life since birth.

Corby - Glad you [popped back in :) Yes - I have travelled from San Francisco down to La Jolla and thought the same thing - well aside from those ridiculously large gorgeous snow capped mountains you have! Though of course we do have something you dont.... these come around our house late afternoon to discuss the days events and wink at our dogs. Pretty Faced wallabies they are called. And of course there are the King Parrots that take position on one of our old trees so they can taunt the earth bound animals :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2009/135872-prettyface.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2009/135872-king_parrot.jpg