PDA

View Full Version : Boats and reflections

laudesan
05-13-2009, 01:29 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-12-2009/22284_Boats_and_refelctions_for_wc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Boats and reflections
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12"x16"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painting my favourite subject. I did this with no pre-drawing, which is how I always used to paint with acrylics. I see something I am going to change.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
........anything

MRSBB
05-13-2009, 03:09 AM
I like this a lot JJ. I especially like the ripples in the water, looks pretty convincing. I might take out the little red squiggle closest to the viewer. Not sure where it is coming from. Looks good............Lenore

mooz49
05-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Wow! JJ ....I do like the mood in this one ......it looks like a lovely warm sunny day and the boats are sitting peacefully bobbing about gently in the water.
I think that red, that Lenore is talking about, maybe there needs to be a little less of it and it could be toned down a little?
I love the blurred foliage in the distance.
Are the two front windows in the nearest boat meant to be straight across, like in the second boat, or are they meant to be sitting at a slant to each other? There is something about them that I just can't figure out .... sorry for being so vague and bad at putting into words what I mean ......I am trying to get better at critiquing and getting away from just saying it is lovely....... but having said all that I will now say ...... JJ this is lovely!! :thumbsup:

laudesan
05-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Are the two front windows in the nearest boat meant to be straight across, like in the second boat, or are they meant to be sitting at a slant to each other? There is something about them that I just can't figure out ....:-D I forgot to finish them, I am such a goose.. I was so busy with the reflections and painting all those little shapes, I totally forgot I hadn't finished of the windows. Good for you picking that up, you are doing very well with your critiquing.

Lenore thanks, and Anne, I will look at the red again when I go back down tot he studio. It is coming from the gunnell, (top railing part of the boat) but if it looks out of place, then it has to go..

greensyster
05-13-2009, 04:41 AM
First impression was 'This is more like that cat one' not in subject or style but in that 'grab ya!' sort of delight. Anyway - tho then I noticed the far boat was floating up hill :) You can don the Queen of Reflections after this one.

mooz49
05-13-2009, 04:54 AM
I will look at the red again when I go back down tot he studio. It is coming from the gunnell, (top railing part of the boat) but if it looks out of place, then it has to go..
I don't think it all needs to go JJ .....just maybe lessen it a bit ......:D

nethra
05-13-2009, 05:43 AM
I can feel the warmth of the sun and the breeze flowing ...
its looks very beautiful

ReesArt
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I like your cool palette, JJ
I do think the water reflections need some darker values next to the lighter values, as this will give a stronger 'glass' like reflection to the still water. Also, the values in the shadows areas of the boats, could be a little deeper IMO
The background area is nice and loosely painted, almost Impressionistic style and the overall light source is very good...well done JJ!

laudesan
05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Marie, thank you that is a real compliment!!! Yes you are right about the uphill look. I have fixed that, thanks for spotting it.

Anne, ok, I wont get rid of all of it..

nethra, thank you.

Ree, yes you are right the darks could be darker.

So I revamped the painting and here it is, what do you think now?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/22284-Boats_for_web.jpg

Corby
05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi JJ. I like the boats in many ways. I am impressed that the interiors read so nicely as interiors and the light in general is so constant and natural. If there were a question it would be the softness of the highlight side of the piling to the front left, might they be just very slightly brighter? A beautiful painting!

charliedawg
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi JJ - there is a nice sense of evening light bathing your painting - if you have an image manipulation program, such as Picasa, you might want to rotate the painting a smidgeon anti-clockwise to get the left-most boat to "sit" more naturally in the water.

olliewood0702
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
AMAZING job JJ! WOW.....lovely reflections and trees. LOVE harbor paintings!

laudesan
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Corby, yes I think you are quite right about that piling, I will tweak that.

Charliedawg, thanks for your advice. :-)

Darla thank you for your support, always.

allanom
05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Gotta love boats and water reflections! And you've done a very nice job here. Would suggest ensuring you make a bit more dramatic distinction in dark/light values between the background trees and the foreground boats/water, etc., otherwise it all looks flat and on the same plane -- see my alt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2009/4031-Boats_for_webX.jpg

mackb
05-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I love boats and water and you have done a terrific job on the reflections. I can't anything to the great crits. Nice job JJ.

laudesan
05-17-2009, 03:26 AM
I sold this painting today..

I had it hanging in my stall, at the Creative Market, where I go every Sunday to peddle, I mean sell my art. This man was riding his push-bike past. He came to a screeching halt, dropped his bike and ran into my stall, exclaiming I have to buy that painting!!!! Wow, thought I, I didn't think it was that good. He continues, it is my friends boat!! It is!!! He told me his friend was on holiday, and he was going to surprise him when he got back with it. His friends boat is the one on the left, with the red trim.

mooz49
05-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Woo Hoo!!! ....excellent news JJ .....you're on a roll now ....... selling painting every Sunday!!! .....Well Done!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: