PDA

View Full Version : This is just getting silly......

Roger Evans
05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
This is the winning entry for the latest Hunting Art Prize.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2009/89662-hunting_art_winner.jpg

Sorry to be so negative but I put this in the same group as drawings or paintings of a skull with a candle on top. Personally I feel this piece is incredibly underachieved and amateurish, both in concept and execution; the kind of stuff you see done by high school art students trying to be "edgy". :rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure what to think about the Hunting Art Prize, any more. It could have been such a great thing for local artists but so many of my colleagues in Texas just roll their eyes when Hunting comes up. No one seems to take it seriously these days. It's all about the money.

Oh well. Wave $50,000 in the air and everyone and their brother will submit a drawing of some kind.

Roger

stevenbg
05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Roger,
That's the WINNING entry?
I can't believe that this piece actually beat out one of yours.
Apparently this is an ongoing issue, but I'm just stunned at the lack of judgement shown by the "jury" in this instance.
Unfortunately, many of us have been in a similar boat at one time or another.
I haven't entered any competitions for quite a while now, because it gets very discouraging when you see things like this happening.

Roger Evans
05-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Roger,
That's the WINNING entry?
I can't believe that this piece actually beat out one of yours.

Thanks but, honestly, I never really expected to win because I don't feel I am good enough. But I sort of figured I was good enough to be accepted. To have something like this actually win when I've seen better pieces rejected altogether is just too much to comprehend. I just don't get it.

Apparently this is an ongoing issue......

Apparently so, according to others that I have talked to here in Texas.

Roger

pinkpetunia
05-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, what can I say. Your right about this painting being garbage. I've seen your work and can't believe that anything of yours wouldn't have been accepted. The judges must be trying to be trendy or cutting edge or something. To bad they don't know good art when they see it.

ZanBarrage
05-12-2009, 12:07 AM
ok, so who's son or student was the winner? Judges should be made to sign a contract that says that they will not accept to judge work by students or former students or family members or members of frineds families!!

Mostly students though. This is probably a student of one of the judges. The more winners a judge has the more their workshops or courses will attract!!

It's all about the money.

susme48
05-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Roger, I looked at MANY of the finalists. There actually were a few that were pretty good! I have to admit, the winner, and many of the others were definitely not my idea of 'good art'. And yet, with research, I found she is quite well known. Looking at the first 30 or so finalists, I had become convinced that all they were gonna have was, umm, unusual art....but then towards the end, there were some that were intriguing. It is definitely NOT a contest for you! Your art is in such a different, and to me, more wonderful style.

Einion
05-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Sorry to be so negative but I put this in the same group as drawings or paintings of a skull with a candle on top. Personally I feel this piece is incredibly underachieved and amateurish, both in concept and execution; the kind of stuff you see done by high school art students trying to be "edgy". :rolleyes:
I think that's a good summary Roger! Oi vey, who the heck judged this?!

Einion

dances_with_oils
05-12-2009, 03:11 AM
This drawing reminds me of the class assignment in grade 11. We were to draw a picture of what we thought was representative of an environmental disaster. Lots of beached whales and skull and cross bones stuff appeared.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for mentoring and helping young artists get a leg up but this piece is just rank amateur (says the rank amateur herself LOL). There is nothing original in this piece by way of technique, imagery, style or vision. The message is ambiguous, the perspective is making me nauseous as there is no viable horizon. The execution of the medium is ho-hum. I think in my humble opinion that the piece fails to invoke any sense of emotion on the viewer. I can't even feel the slightest bit of outrage at what I think the artist was trying to convey. It simply leaves me blank (more of a huh? than blank)

Roger, I love your work. It's vibrant, well researched and executed and is always a short story wrapped up within the boundaries of the canvas. I can almost smell the coffee, feel the muzzle of the horses and the sound of their hooves - you manage to capture a moment of life in your work. Even in that moment you still manage to convey that whatever your subject is doing it is continuing on in another frame. Your work affords the imagination to create a continuum to your story.

lodestar
05-12-2009, 03:39 AM
It does have the saving grace of being sincere albeit amateurish. As often is the case with younger folks with lesser maturity or less formidable life experience. Perhaps the Artist in question is being played a pawn to provoke other more formidable Artists, perhaps, mayhaps the sky is falling or politics is what is happening there. In any event I concur that it isn't much of a thought yet in contrast to pure absract for some it may be more than enough or more than adequate. I submit this post for your good consideration.

chammi kaiser
05-12-2009, 03:45 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: I am totally confused. How on earth could such a ''painting'' be chosen and yours rejected.

Foxyheart2002
05-12-2009, 03:52 AM
My gosh, Roger, this is crap! I would have loved to see you win, I try to achieve your talent in western art. You are my hero....well, not really, but I strive to do your quality of work in all I do. This stuff is just disgusting.

bertschikon
05-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi Roger, Whilst I agree with your sentiments it is possible that there may be method in this artist's madness.

A great many years ago I visited the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy in London. In one of the larger halls there was an enormous painting, about 6 or 7 feet square, that used only two colours - pillar box red and battleship grey. The painting was divided horizontally into two. Beneath the divide it was red and above it was grey. About a third of the way into the painting from the left hand side (Rule of Thirds?) was a long, thin, vertical rectangle. It was painted grey in the lower half and red in the upper. A third of the way in from the right hand side and trotting along the "horizon" was the red silhouette of a dog heading towards the vertical rectangle.

You get the picture? In the catalogue it was priced at £10000 and this was about thirty years ago.

I was outraged and, back home, I was sounding off about this travesty to an art teacher at a local college and he said "Look, the principal aim of most artists (whether they admit to it or not) is for people to see their work and to remember it. The fact that you are able to remember the work in such detail means that he has succeeded as far as you are concerned and there are probably many others like you."

I think that he has a point - although that does not explain why the painting that you have described above won the Hunting competition.

Roger Evans
05-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I was outraged and, back home, I was sounding off about this travesty to an art teacher at a local college and he said "Look, the principal aim of most artists (whether they admit to it or not) is for people to see their work and to remember it. The fact that you are able to remember the work in such detail means that he has succeeded as far as you are concerned and there are probably many others like you."

True but, then again, I might remember if someone wore a clown suit to a funeral.

I think that he has a point - although that does not explain why the painting that you have described above won the Hunting competition.

It might if it were one clown judging another.

Roger

Roger Evans
05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Roger, I love your work. It's vibrant, well researched and executed and is always a short story wrapped up within the boundaries of the canvas. I can almost smell the coffee, feel the muzzle of the horses and the sound of their hooves - you manage to capture a moment of life in your work. Even in that moment you still manage to convey that whatever your subject is doing it is continuing on in another frame. Your work affords the imagination to create a continuum to your story.

I am humbled by your kind words. In fact, I appreciate the support that everyone has shown to me on this forum. You guys are nice people! :)

Again, I feel like I am still a struggling artist with a long way to go but I also think that something as disingenuous as the Hunting Art Prize does more to harm the local art community than to support it. Why present the charade of a two-tiered "selection process" when they might as well put everyone's names on a wall and throw a dart?

It boggles the mind. Really, it does.

Roger

idylbrush
05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
.....and yet you keep going back for the same disappointment year after year after year.

jocelynsart
05-12-2009, 09:37 AM
There will always be questions, and disappointments like this. I think the best thing to do is know who you are and what you want to achieve as an artist, and continue to work, and pursue that. It can become depressing if allowed to, for sure, which then can interfere with one's own artistic pursuits. My thoughts are: Don't enter competitions that you question, after personal experience with them. Or, enter them and just move on from the decisions made by the juror of that year.
Jocelyn

Flattwo
05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
This is the problem with judging art, it cannot be judged, only observed!

Henry

Flopka
05-12-2009, 09:49 AM
While I don't much like the winning painting either, I looked at the gallery of past winners - and another gallery (not sure if it is winners or entries) on the Hunting Art Prize website. It's clear they are looking for "conceptual" art along the same lines as the work they chose. They don't seem to be looking for Western-themed or realism, which is what Roger's work seems to be about (and which he does very well).

I guess, if it were me, I would look over the past winners and see if my work was a good fit. Awards are so subjective anyway, and usually have an agenda attached.

Flattwo
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
If paintings do have to be judged, then conceptual art is the way forward, surely we are striving for innovtion and not the recylcing of the same old familiar stuff

Henry

Roger Evans
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
.....and yet you keep going back for the same disappointment year after year after year.

Oh, I know. Pretty pathetic, eh? :o

Roger

idylbrush
05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh, I know. Pretty pathetic, eh? :o

Roger

A choice you make I guess.

Artchrispy
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Roger- you are like a modern Sisyphus. Next year, if you have any failed paintings or discarded sketches or color studies, consider entering them as conceptual pieces.

Roger Evans
05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Roger- you are like a modern Sisyphus.

And that boulder doesn't get any lighter! ;)

Next year, if you have any failed paintings or discarded sketches or color studies, consider entering them as conceptual pieces.

It has, indeed, occurred to me.

Roger

Einion
05-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Next year, if you have any failed paintings or discarded sketches or color studies, consider entering them as conceptual pieces.
It has, indeed, occurred to me.
:D

Einion

objectivistartist
05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Ahh - but then see the irony of winning.......:eek::rolleyes::lol::lol:

Roger Evans
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Ahh - but then see the irony of winning.......:eek::rolleyes::lol::lol:
Tell me about it.

When interviewed about her entry, the artist Robyn O'Neil stated: " I actually strategized by making a piece specifically for this competition."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/features/6419004.html

So much for the judges getting a sense on continuity in an artist's work. The piece that won wasn't representative of the artist but, rather, an attempt to win a specific competition by looking at past winners and catering to the whims of the event. I give O'Neil credit for being more honest than the Hunting organization.

This reminds me of when Garry Kasparov was beaten by Deep Blue, the IBM chess playing computer. IBM then touted that they had built a computer capable of beating the best chess player in the world when, in reality, they had built a computer capable of specifically beating Garry Kasparov. ;)

Roger

howyadoin
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
True but, then again, I might remember if someone wore a clown suit to a funeral.Hah. That about sums it up.

Artchrispy
05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Ahh, the art world. Where else can twelve cents worth of graphite and two and a half hours garner 50k.

howyadoin
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I could really use 50 grand. Maybe I need to stop this "painting" stuff and start pandering to judges.

Roger Evans
05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I could really use 50 grand. Maybe I need to stop this "painting" stuff and start pandering to judges.

Shhhhhh.....!

You'll give the other 2000+ entrants the same idea!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ZanBarrage
05-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Its like entering a still life painting in a landscape exhibit and hoping to win! Makes no sense. I have a friend who paints along these lines, I will make sure to let him know about the 50K. He will be very happy I am sure. meanwhile I am looking for a competition in Ontario where landscapes are past winners. I would like to enter that!!

objectivistartist
05-13-2009, 01:21 AM
On that basis, maybe I should enter next year with my "Stoned Wall" rendering :evil::eek::lol::lol::rolleyes:

scottsart
05-13-2009, 01:56 AM

maybe I am still naieve in my approach, but I think I would rather do without the 50K than modify my art for the sake of winning a competition. Instead I would rather my art be appreciated for what it is...

there is an old expression I picked up a long time ago, and I don't remember where from, but I still stick by it... "Conform, and be dull"

I'd rather be interesting, than conform and be dull :)

This reminds me of when Garry Kasparov was beaten by Deep Blue, the IBM chess playing computer. IBM then touted that they had built a computer capable of beating the best chess player in the world when, in reality, they had built a computer capable of specifically beating Garry Kasparov. ;)

Not to deviate from the topic... but.... I work for IBM. Howevere, I am going to refrain from comment, cause like my mother always told me... "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all" So as much as I would love to bash my current employer, I will refrain :D

howyadoin
05-13-2009, 03:12 AM
maybe I am still naieve in my approach, but I think I would rather do without the 50K than modify my art for the sake of winning a competition. Instead I would rather my art be appreciated for what it is...Me too. I was being sarcastic.

Flattwo
05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Can someone explain to me the point of painting competitions?

Henry

Roger Evans
05-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Can someone explain to me the point of painting competitions?

To make $50,000! ;)

Seriously, though, I think that art contests should really be run as art festivals, like the way film festivals are run. It isn't a contest, exactly, but there are awards given out to recognize creativity and skill. Many film festivals have no first, second or third place but, rather, awards for specific achievements such as composition, storyline, photography, etc. There may or may not be a "top award" for the most popular entry. Sometimes that entry may be technically underachieved but, because it was simply entertaining and a lot of people liked it, then it wins the popular vote. To me, this would be a good way to celebrate art and give out awards.

Roger

scottsart
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Me too. I was being sarcastic.

Howyadoin. I figured you were being sarcastic. I was echoing your statement. I feel for Roger, this is in fact quite ridiculous!

Sherry Pettey
05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I rarely ever participate in art contests only because I know that I'm not going to lose very easily...hahahahaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Sherry

Roger Evans
05-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I feel for Roger, this is in fact quite ridiculous!

Thanks. My main concern, though, is for the art community in general. Artists, by and large, have little disposable income and even less time to spend chasing wild gooses. Past research has shown that some people that spent money to have their work shipped to the event after they were accepted were then told they could not participate. Someone else apparently found that the judges had never even seen her work. I think it is dishonorable for Hunting to wave $50,000 in the air and then treat the entrants like cattle. And, to be clear, I would still feel this way even if I had won the prize. I would love to have the money but my feelings about how they run the event would not be changed. If anything, knowing that my skill level is not as good as it could be, a win would only validate the random nature of how they pick winners!

Roger

Tiasa
05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for posting this, Roger. It's always interesting to see who wins this thing. I personally think there is a little too much concept here--and not enough art. Even worse, I wasn't sure what the concept was until I googled the artist and read her explanation: A death, a fall, a march: toward a better world.

That pile on the right is a pile of dead bodies ó again, referencing the end, and then itís like these men were allowing their deaths to happen and giving way to it, because on the left is a crater, like they dug their own grave. The upper left-hand corner is perhaps my favorite part. Itís more similar to where my work is right now, which is sort of like another land thatís growing from the sky. Ö It really does look like thereís a new Earth being grown from those clouds.

Honestly, if you have to explain it in words, is it really art? Is it really communicating? I am pretty accepting of a wide variety of styles, but this just doesn't do it for me.

Both last year and this year, I felt like the judges were clueless. This year I think they chose someone that had sold quite a bit because they just didn't have the ability to make up their own minds. They are just too busy trying to look "cool" and "with it." I just view this bunch as total conformists. I am sure they think otherwise.

nurciuoli
05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Honestly, if you have to explain it in words, is it really art?
It's the old "Polar Bear eating vanilla ice cream in a snow storm" method of art.

I am pretty accepting of a wide variety of styles, but this just doesn't do it for me.
Ditto

Faded
05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Hard to imagine what criteria the jury used, having seen your work. This is grim and rather depressing, (especially after reading the explanation) I didn't go "DAMN, how'd he do that??" like I do when I see one of your pieces. I guess all you can do is keep at it.
-Dave

OkeeKat
05-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Unbelievable, I think the judges should be shot!! what in the heck were they thinking?? This isnt art.. its cartoons!!ya know like those stupid things they have in the newpapers about politics!! :rolleyes:
You deserve alot better Roger, I am in awe of your talent and love your work. Maybe someday you will come down and I can get lessons!!:lol:
/pats Roger on the back.. sorry I'd be dissapointed too.