PDA

View Full Version : "Sherman's Alley, New Haven"

fams
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-11-2009/156450_New_Haven_Street_Scene_med.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Sherman's Alley, New Haven"
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11" x 14"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This a WIP but substantially complete. It is from a photo I took while visiting New Haven, CT.
My first city scape.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Sam_I_Am
05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
This looks really great! I like the sense of depth you've got going, and you've done a good job modeling the buildings. Your shadows are well-placed and accurate, but I think I'd like to see you push them just a little darker, and maybe a little warmer. I'd like to see the contrast since you've got very bright sun lighting the scene.

Great Job :)

Ladyred
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Fams, I have to tell you, this is pretty good in my book. I would suggest that you bring down the orange glow on to the table from the orange umbrella. There is a lot of detail for an "impres. painting". The lines on the buildings and windows are very detailed but the rest makes you feel like you have blurred vision. I am sure some of the others can describe it better than I seem to be doing,lol. I am looking forward to seeing other paintings. Thanks for sharing.

Corby
05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
yes your beautiful darks on the right flow to the front and push everything else back which gives a visual sense of depth, darkening forground shadows and the building in shadow on the left would be marvelous!

The demo is not meant to show a choice of color, nor the manner of the painting to be done, it is only to show how the shadows make the sunlight and that wonderful orange umbrella stand out even more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2009/70790-StreetScene.jpg

billmahler
05-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Nicely done, Fams.
Good colors, drawing and values.
Here are a couple of thoughts to ponder, all about edges:
Look at those dark lines on the top edge of the far building where it joins the clouds. I think you should let them almost disappear. Speaking of clouds, soften the edges where they meet the sky.
Get rid of that dark line around that vehicle. Let it be one with its surroundings. Look at how nicely you lost the edges on the head of that walking figure, and yet we see it clearly. Do that with the vehicle.

ImTheOne
05-12-2009, 01:27 AM
I love cityscape pictures. This one is wonderful. That orange umbrella is the star, what a great color to pick.