PDA

View Full Version : White Heron

laudesan
05-11-2009, 05:31 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-11-2009/22284_white_heron_400.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: White Heron
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12"x16"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I deliberately left the branch almost kissing the birds head, as I love the intimacy this gives. I moved the second branch closer to the first one, as I didn't like it in the middle of the picture, like it was in the reference.

I also omitted to paint in the grasses the log, and twigs which were in the reference photo.

I left out the birds shadow too, on purpose.

Maybe I should have called the painting the sentinel.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything.

thomas w
05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I like the brilliant colors and simple composition.

Dana Design
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
JJ, those blues are scrumptious! Love the sand as well along with the shadows on the bird and especially his beak!

billmahler
05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
This is loaded with feeling and atmosphere.
Bingo!

mooz49
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I love this one JJ .....it is much better than mine is!!! ....Your colours are so alive!!

laudesan
05-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Thomas, thanks for commenting. I can't take credit for the composition really, the photo was taken by an excellent photographer. I did choose to leave some things out to simplify it though.

Dana, good to see you back. Yes I love that pthalo blue. I substituted it from my ultra blue about a year ago, at the advice of a friend of ours. Good decision.

Bill, thank you, I am glad you get such a positive feeling from this pain ting.

Anne. NO! Not better at all, just different. Do you think I see the colours more vibrant than you do hey? No, not at all, I just adjusted them up in paint shop pro. I had a ball playing with the reference before I painted it, to see what colours and how many I could find in the birds shadows. There were all sorts of sienna's in there and blues, when they mixed they made the most delicious purples. Yellow and purple are complimentaries, so they really shine when put together.

MRSBB
05-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Hi JJ. Gosh you have some delicate colors in this heron. Looks really good. Hey, read today of all the sales, congratulations. You go girl...........Lenore