PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on modeling paste mixed with paint

ZanBarrage
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Folks,

OK so I have been experimenting with different ways to work with Acrylics after my short divorce from the medium. I like my paint to be heavy and for the brush marks to show. I want to be able to lay it thin when I want to and thick and expressive at will. I was told to try using modeling paste mixed with the colours and today I went out and bought a tub to try it out.

I didn't have much time to play with it, hopefully tomorrow I will, but the little that I did was very promising. I think I am going to enjoy it a lot.

I was also told by some members here to just get the heavy body paints. I will certainly be switching to those as my present supply runs out. I think that is a great idea.

I just wanted to find out today if anyone else has used modeling paste for painting (not just for a ground) and what has been your experience?

idylbrush
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Looks good, works fine, lasts a long time.

Prizmetrix
05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I've tried this but didn't like the texture because the W&N stuff I used is mixed with marble dust which gives it the body and maybe that's what everyone uses. Anyway, the paint had a very grainy quality. I hope that helps.

~~Kathleen
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I just wanted to find out today if anyone else has used modeling paste for painting (not just for a ground) and what has been your experience?
I have never used modeling paste, but I (often) use Goldens Molding paste.
As they are two completely different products, I don't know if this will help at all.
One thing about the molding paste, is that it sucks up colour, and lightens it quite a bit. But it is a joy to work with.
As well, I have never considered mixing it with colour, I just compensate for the sinking in of colour by layering.

Shirl Parker
05-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought modeling paste was for applying first, forming the shapes that you want, and then painting over after the paste was dry. I do know you have to be careful what type you use and it's degree of flexibility depending on the firmness of your support.