Dimension: 30 * 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Feel that this painting needs improvement. Could not figure out what is it

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything c&c most welcome

mooz49
05-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I am sure some of the experts will be along soon to give you valuable critique Nethra. For me I find it difficult to settle my eye on any particular part of this one. I do like the way you have the light hitting the front of the building ..... :thumbsup:

Sam_I_Am
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi, There :) This looks like its going well. I think the biggest bother I have with it is that the space is not real well identified, and therefore lacks depth. Starting from the back, you need to swipe out the details on the trees to set them into the background. You might also consider adding a few more hilights into the buildings to indicate more light shimmer. I would darken the reflections in the water closest to the building, then allow the water to lighten a little more at the edges. Add a few hilights to the surface of the water. Then, lastly, work some more details into the grass at the very forefront. Right now, it looks like a blob.

This is on its way - almost there :)

Ronni
05-09-2009, 03:59 PM
WOW!!! how I love it!!!! the fact it is so strange, and space becomes a riddle makes it sooo interesting to explore; I love to have to explore and study a painting to be able to get along with. The back only blue is marvelous! I prefer it as is, before it gets ruined to become too clear.

Corby
05-09-2009, 11:42 PM
There have been some good suggestions on how to bring this more fully to a conclusion. Here are the problems as I see them:

1. The background is much too bright in color and the value is much too dark. Lighten and cool the color as much as possible and get rid of all hard edges so it will all sink into the background.

2.The roof of the house is too much the color and value of the background. Because the background is so insistent I would saturate the color in the house and warm it up considerably. This way it will come forward and not let the background dominate it so that it disappears.

3. The figures of the people are too small, bring them closer by painting them larger and paint them simply so they are not lost to their surroundings but stand out as the focal point, or at least as points of interest.

4. Get rid of the awkward diagonal line. It does not add to the story and only busyfies the midground environment. To further simplify the midground dont try and reflect the details of the house in the water. Just reflect the general color of the house where the water changes in the foreground from shallow to deep.

5.Change that foreground by using verticle brush strokes to change the shrubs into a water surface. Vertical strokes of a mixture of your other colors and then some nice randomly placed horizontal strokes over them will re-establish the flat surface of water.

Here is the general change you should come up with. Its establishes a natural sense of depth, we can clearly see your wonderfully painted house and the figures now stand out and your excellent water surface is cleaned up, simplified and reads beautifully. Hope these suggestions can be adapted and found useful!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2009/70790-garden.jpg

nethra
05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Thank you Corby and Sam for all your valuable advices and for taking time to explain in detail. Appreciate all your suggestions very much...
Thankyou mooz49 for taking time to appreciate and comment :)
Thankyou Ronni for your time and accepting the painting as it is :D . I'm glad you liked it. :) I wish I could do a painting with such confidence that I dont have to change anything in that again.. :cool:

I've redone the changes and feel this to be a better version than the previous one. Please post your c&c regarding this .

Corby
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Nethra, that is sooooo beautiful! I have spent so much time in my painting life re-painting and correcting. I forget which 'old master' it was who said that " A successful painting is a series of corrected mistakes." Something to that effect. Perhaps that is why I live by the dictum that "the joy is in the doing" You should be quite proud of this! You are progressing nicely, like everyone else including myself who are fast on their way to making more sophisticated and learned mistakes!:wink2:

Sam_I_Am
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Excellent finish! You've done great, and improved it vastly. Great job!

nethra
05-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Thankyou Corby & Sam_I_Am once again. :)