PDA

View Full Version : how to contact Jerry's Artarama?

Phantelope
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi, I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it in acrylics, as that's what I ordered.
I got my order with one item missing and one item in there (and on the order) that I never ordered, no idea how that got on there and I did not see it when I got the confirmation.

I e-mailed them several times, jumped through their phone system, left a message, tried to call again and was advised of a 36 minute wait time! What kind of company is this?

No reply to any of my e-mails or messages, I doubt I'll ever order from them again but I want my missing paint and a credit for the item I never ordered, some coarse alumina that I have no use for.

Does anybody have a direct phone number or an e-mail address that actually will get a reply? This is frustrating, I need the paint on Tuesday.

Thanks so much!

Oliver

theonoe
05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I also had trouble contacting them, and when I was able to do so, they weren't very helpful, which is why I don't do business with them anymore. I'm sorry that I can't offer you more help!

Theo

Phantelope
05-08-2009, 07:46 PM
What a crappy store! Still no answer to any of my e-mails and voicemail. The most incredible thing: you call their 800 number and first you get a recording that they have such a huge call volume that wait will be long and then you get transferred to their after hour phone system! Right, high call volume. after hours. when no one is there. What a joke. Voicemail box is full too.

All I can say is do NOT order from these people, seems like some business run out of a garage by a flaky teenager. I will never order from them again. If I don't hear back from them by Monday evening I'll contact my credit card company too and see what they can do.

Hard to believe that in these times you can still run a business with no customer service what so ever. Stay away from them, not worth the possible aggravation and Dick Blick (quick and always responsive) has the same prices anyway. I only ordered from them since I had a coupon code. Never again, not worth the trouble.

the crappy website should have been an indication of things to come.....

Shirl Parker
05-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Oliver, hopefully you ordered with a credit card. contact your card company and ask for a credit. I had a similar problem with Jerry's and finally got it resolved, but it took four months. I'll never order from them again.

Rose Queen
05-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I second Shirl's advice. Call your credit card holder and dispute the charges for the missing item, plus a portion of tax and shipping, if any. You're not responsible for the item you go that you didn't order. Just focus on what they owe you and forget about trying to deal with them -- you've already tried that. It's time to get the credit card carrier involved.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

BeeCeeEss
05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Oliver,

I have had a recent order with Jerry's seriously messed up and went through the same frustrations you have in trying to get hold of a live human there to deal with my problem.

Here is a link to my original post about this matter:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7826948#post7826948

I hope that works. If not, it's posted over at the Oil painting forum under the place where Jerry's Artarama is being welcomed as a new Wet Canvas partner.

The bottom line is this: I was advised by a Wet Canvas member named Gaye to just call Jerry's toll free number: 800-827-8478 and when they ask if you are going to place an order to please remain on the line, STAY ON THE LINE. Don't let their automated system shuttle you over to where they run you through the menu system and all you can do is leave a voice mail message and hope they'll call back. Just stay on the line as though you are going to place a new order and someone will eventually answer and you can get them to deal with your problem. There will probably be a long wait with many others in the queue ahead of you, but it's the only way to get to talk to a live person in customer service.

When I finally got through to someone at Jerry's, a nice lady named Erin, she explained that the reason they have been having so many problems lately is twofold:

1. They recently moved to another shipping facility and things are still very much unsettled.

2. They were also trying a new automated order fulfillment and shipping system and they are having MAJOR PROBLEMS with it. It has caused a huge increase in orders that are being filled incorrectly. That is why they are experiencing a corresponding increase in people trying to call and get their orders straightened out.

I had been calling and leaving voice messages and requesting call backs for nearly 2 weeks. I was also sending e-mails and even trying the "contact us" option from within Jerry's own web site. No one ever called back. They are overwhelmed with this huge SNAFU.

If you can stay on the line, listening to canned music, until you finally get to talk with a real person, hopefully they can straighten it all up for you.

I was very angry initially, but Erin, who is a shipping manager, was very, very nice and apologized repeatedly. She said my order would be shipped immediately and I confirmed with UPS that it is to arrive on Monday.

It will, however, be quite a while before I consider placing an order with Jerry's again. I will wait and see if they get this mess cleared up. It looks like I got in on the front wave of it. It's only going to get bigger for a while.

Good luck.

Beverly

Aires
05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm glad to read this post as in the past I always had good service from Jerry's Artarama, even mistakes were taken care of quickly without any disputes. I haven't ordered from them in a long while so was not aware of their difficulties - will avoid any orders until I hear things have returned to normal. Perhaps not even then as they seem to have gone to a volume type system where you have to buy multiples of many items. I used to be able to switch back and forth between them and Dick Blick with equally good service - too bad when things have gone south as it takes a long time to regain confidence lost by long time customers. Fortunately I have been mostly ordering from Dick Blick and have thus avoided the problems being described. Thanks for the tip off!!

Andrew
05-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Oliver,

I have ordered from Jerry's several times, and only had an issue once. Someone messed up an item number, and I received an item I didn't order, and consequently missed an item I did. It was resolved rather quickly and without issue.

I called the customer service number from the catalog, gave the woman who answered my customer number (also on the catalog) and the invoice number from the packing slip. Due to shipping they let me keep the erroneous item and sent me the correct item at no extra charge. I received it in 4-7 days no problem. So I don't know what to say. I read on here people that have a problem with them and rant and rail, but I and nobody I know personally who has ordered from them have ever had a problem, or at least one that wasn't easily rectified.

True, I tend to order more from Blick, ASW, and Utrecht, but they have better coupons. I am a cheap ba$tard, what can I say.

Andrew

PattiLou
05-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't order from Art Supply Warehouse (ASW) I am having the same problem with them. Back in early April I placed an order for three items. A couple days later I received an email saying the order was released... it took forever to arrive. When I received it there were on two items even though I was billed for three and the Bill of Lading had all three listed. They sent them in two big boxes and both would have fit in one medium box. I called them, and called them never got anyone to talk to. Just "Please push #(whatever) for your department. After about the fourth time on the second day I did get transferred to another number when I pushed the #(whatever) and it was another recording that ask for name, order number, etc., and they would call back, so I left all the information and never received a return call. Started the circle all over again to no avail. Sent an email, no answer. Sent another email and finally got an answer with the excuse that they were out of stock due to a change in their process (sound familiar?) and it was currently in stock and would be shipped.

On April 23 I received an email that the remaining item had been released.
On April 30 I received an email that the item had been shipped.
As of today, May 9, I still have not received it.
If I track it through UPS they say they have no information.

The amount is small, it's just the principle and my credit card is the next step.

Just wanted to share my experience with ASW. On the other hand Cheap Joe's and Dick Blick have been great.

Shirl Parker
05-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Jerry's and ASW are related. I think they moved their warehouses together and this is when all the trouble started.

Andrew
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Don't order from Art Supply Warehouse (ASW) I am having the same problem with them.

Again, even with a recent order, I haven't ever had a problem. The last big order I had, one item was out of stock and they hadn't received a re-stock from the manufacturer, they sent me a free sample item and a letter letting me know what was going on.

Cheap Joes and Blick are good. No disagreement there.

Andrew

mseymour
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I've never had a problem with orders from Jerry's, although I haven't ordered in several months. (I don't order from Dick Blick any more, because they have stores here in Ohio and I get charged state sales tax.)

BeeCeeEss
05-11-2009, 01:22 PM
On April 23 I received an email that the remaining item had been released.
On April 30 I received an email that the item had been shipped.
As of today, May 9, I still have not received it.
If I track it through UPS they say they have no information.

Patti,

This is similar to the first part of my messed up order with Jerry's. I ordered in the first week of April (I think this is when the problems began happening).

I got the usual email saying that my items had been released, then the following email saying that they were shipped by UPS, but the tracking number they gave me was not a UPS number. It began with a C0... which is nothing like a UPS tracking number. Every time I checked with UPS to see what the status of my shipment was, it just said there was no information available. Finally the U.S. Postal Service delivered my small package with only 2 individual painting panels inside, not the 2 dozen I ordered. No wonder UPS had no information on this shipment. They never got it! This mistake is also part of the problems they are having with the automated shipping system. It is mistakenly identifying the means of shipment.

I agree that Jerry's and ASW are either related in some way, or just the same company operating under 2 different names. Their catalogs and product lines are virtually identical. Their sales usually mirror one another.

It makes sense that, if Jerry's is having these problems, ASW is suffering similar problems. I don't plan on ordering from either company for quite some time.

As to the sales tax issue, that may become moot all too soon if the so-called "Amazon Bill" is passed (referring to Amazon.com). Congress wants to force all mail-order companies to collect sales taxes and pass them on to the states in which the buyers live regardless of whether or not there are any actual "brick and mortar" stores within your state. Government types just can't stand it when we citizens exercise a little freedom -- from them! Enjoy it while you can. It may be OK for them to avoid paying their taxes (just a misunderstanding, you see), but we Pleebs certainly aren't allowed to get away with that. IMHO

Beverly

Bright Eyes
05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I've ordered a few times from Jerry's. Once I had something that I ordered and they forgot to put in the box. I called them up with no problems (I did have to wait on the line for a few minutes though) and got the item shipped to me with no problems. Never tried to e-mail them.

Shirl Parker
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
If you haven't ordered from Jerry's in the past 7 months, you probably haven't experienced the current problems.

Phantelope
05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Still no answer to 3 voice mails and 3 e-mails. I don't care if they moved to the moon and run their computers on diesel, if they don't have their act together they need to tell people there might be problems, shut down for a while or hire more help. Not even bothering to answer any message is rude and I don't deal with rude people.

I'll try to call again now and will update this thread. And then I'll never ever order from them again, I don't care how cheap they might be. Obviously they're cheap for a reason....

Oliver

Phantelope
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
well, finally talked to some lady after listening to half an hour of crazy free jazz (which I actually like, but suspect they play to make people hang up...).

So, my missing item - it was "automatically canceled by the system" as it was out of stock. Hm. I have an order confirmation that clearly lists it as in stock and available, so that's a lie or their system is crap. In any case, it would have been nice to know as I could have gone elsewhere to buy it by now! Just canceling line items without as much as a note is incredibly rude and shows how little business sense they have.

The item I never ordered - well - "since you (meaning me) ordered online there is nothing I can do about this" "but I never ordered it, all the other paints are 2 ox tubes, the only thing that fits in my box, I never order 4 oz tubs!" "yes, but I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do about that. You can send it back to us and we'll refund you the item"
Well, it would cost me more to pack and ship this than the tub costs, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Oh, and I was told that "we have people that deal with these things, I don't know why they did not answer you". Right. "people". Seems more like one guy in Timbuktu who's phone only works for 30 min per day or something.

So, miserable experience, not resolved at all to my content. I'd suggest to order elsewhere, Blick has much much better service and is actually interested in happy customers. I just fell for some stupid "take an extra 15% off your entire order" coupon, a trap I now know to avoid. I will have them remove me from their customer data base.

Enough Arta(d)rama for me, I learned my lesson and they lost a customer - not the first one either from what I read online.....

Andrew
05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't get the frustration. I have ordered form ASW and Jerry's many times. Most recently last February, and not an issue. Working in industry, I understand what comes up as In Stock isn't always so, and vice versa. Sadly we live in a day and age where inventories are kept to a dire minimum.

When there was issues with out-of-stock items, delayed shipments, or the wrong item shoved in a box, which has happened even from Blick (I got some great paper that way once - their goof my bonus), It has always gotten resolved quickly, either via phone or email (I always get a direct email address and never send to the general customer service email - I know what the backlog on that can be like). I don't do voice mail either, as I realize from my work that messages can sit there a bit before all the voice messages are gone through. And it can be worse if you are working with minimal staff.

When there has been out-of-stock issues, both entities have either replaced it with an equivalent item at a discounted price, or sent it when in stock for no additional cost. I don't understand why or how you have had the experience you have had. I have not had anything similar to view in comparison.

The only thing I can offer is what I know. When I am dealing with customer/technical service and I start getting a tad terse and short they get less and less helpful and more irresponsive. It happens to me everytime I contact my internet service provider. I have a simple question and I get the same run around and CYA spiel, which irks me everytime. I get this "Overlord" tone to my voice and start talking to the chucklehead on the other end like an irrate drill instructor speaks to a new recruit. It doesn't get me far, but in someways it is satisfying.

Andrew

BeeCeeEss
05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, my own saga with Jerry's continues.

Yesterday I received one package via UPS from Jerry's Artarama. I knew by it's size that it could not be my entire order of 24 Yes! canvas painting panels.

No, indeed, it was only half my order. The packing slip showed that only the 11 x 14 inch size was shipped (sold only in boxes of 12). The 12 x 16 inch size was not shipped.

Will the rest of my order arrive at a later date? Has it been canceled? Is it out of stock? Was I charged for the full order or only what has been shipped so far?

Who knows? Some follow-up communication from Jerry's would have been nice so I'm not left twisting in the breeze.

**Sigh!**

Beverly

Andrew
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, my own saga with Jerry's continues.

Yesterday I received one package via UPS from Jerry's Artarama. I knew by it's size that it could not be my entire order of 24 Yes! canvas painting panels.

No, indeed, it was only half my order. The packing slip showed that only the 11 x 14 inch size was shipped (sold only in boxes of 12). The 12 x 16 inch size was not shipped.

Will the rest of my order arrive at a later date? Has it been canceled? Is it out of stock? Was I charged for the full order or only what has been shipped so far?

Who knows? Some follow-up communication from Jerry's would have been nice so I'm not left twisting in the breeze.

**Sigh!**

Beverly

What does the packing slip say? The last really big order I had with Jerry's I had cases of canvas panels. My case of 6x8 arrived in my shipment from Jerry's regular ground shipping. My case of 11x14s was marked as backordered on the packing slip as to be drop shipped from the supplier. There also was a toll free number and a new order#.

If the missing panels are going to be shipped, either form another location or when restocked, I am sure you were charged for the full order. They just end up eating the additional shipping. If you want to cancel it and order later, that is up to you, but unless it isn't going to be stocked again, they don't typically make that choice for you.

Andrew

Phantelope
05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
well, as I said, one item was missing (automatically canceled by the system) one was something I never ordered. The missing item was listed on the packing slip though! and I get no credit for something I did not order.

Nor did I get a reply to 3 nice voicemails stating what's missing and wrong, my name, order number and phone number, I sure did not get terse with them. I also sent three e-mails, through their contact page as well as direct.

I received no answer. And I waited for several days.

Canceling an item and not telling me (but listing it as included on the packing slip) is bad enough. Not getting back to me after I tried several times to contact them is rude.

I spend quite some money on art supplies, non will be spent at Artadrama anymore.

Anyway, just my story, I won't order from them anymore, I'll go to Blick where you can actually reach somebody quickly and always get a reply and help. That's where my money goes and some others might consider my (and several other people's) experience when deciding where to buy.

Mistakes can happen. I have no problem with that. Showing no interest in fixing them is not acceptable. That I have to sit through 30 min of music on their order line (which is not where the phone system wants you to go, it sends you to the voicemail box) is bad. That they don't answer repeated requests is bad. They must be doing a crazy amount of business if they can afford to loose customers this quickly.

Just my 2ct, but I'm obviously not the only one that has problems with them canceling items without notice and being unresponsive.

BeeCeeEss
05-12-2009, 03:14 PM
What does the packing slip say? The last really big order I had with Jerry's I had cases of canvas panels. My case of 6x8 arrived in my shipment from Jerry's regular ground shipping. My case of 11x14s was marked as backordered on the packing slip as to be drop shipped from the supplier. There also was a toll free number and a new order#.

I wish there was more info on the packing slip, such as codes to show that the item was backordered or to be shipped separately, but not so. It has a line of information for each item number. Under a header "Qty Ordered" and "Qty Shipped" directly below that is a 1.00 showing one item ordered, and 1.00 showing one item shipped, followed by the item number for the 11 x 14 inch size. On the second line, for "Qty Ordered" it shows 1.00, for "Qty Shipped" it shows 0.00 for the 12 x 16 inch size. I can interpret that only to mean that one of my ordered items was not shipped. There is nothing to indicate if the item is in transit, backordered, etc. There is also nothing to indicate how much was actually charged to my credit card.

If the missing panels are going to be shipped, either form another location or when restocked, I am sure you were charged for the full order. They just end up eating the additional shipping. ...

That is not generally the case. My past experiences with both Jerry's and ASW has been that they hit me twice for shipping items either from different locations or later after a restocking and later shipping. That's why I so rarely order from them any longer. But there are times when they have something I can't find anywhere else. I order with trepidation. They always list the items as "in stock" and my later e-mail saying that (all) my merchandise has been released and will be shipped shortly also shows that all the items are in stock. This is followed by another e-mail in a couple of days saying that the entire order has been shipped. But the reality turns out very different. I receive partial orders. When the remainder of the order falls below their cut-off limit for backordering something and their policy is to simply cancel the rest of the order, I have often been surprised to receive the balance of the order (even if it's one single paint brush that costs less than $10) and, guess what? Another shipping charge for sending it to me when they should have canceled the order according to their own policy.

Other times, they have canceled the remainder of an order because it fell below their cut-off limit. I never know which it will be. They seem to be all over the place.

Anyway, enough on Jerry's. I took a chance on them and it turned out badly. I won't take another.

Beverly

PattiLou
05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Andrew... on my order from ASW the packing slip did not state that the item was out of stock or otherwise, it just was not in the box delivered, however, the confirmation email showed a charge for the complete order.

I have ordered from both ASW and Jerry's in the past years and no problems. This order was recent and things have changed.

A tollfree number does no good if nobody answers the phone.

I was trying to follow the tracking number they gave me to UPS and it continually said 'no information'. This morning I called UPS and they said it was not their number, but the confirmation email gave a direct link to UPS. :confused:

This afternoon my package shows up by priority mail, remember the confirmation said it was mailed April 30, so I guess it was 'low' priority. :D I can drive from Florida to the warehouse in less than 12-days, a lot less!

I now have my complete order but will not buy from them again.

Raymo
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I've ordered from Dick Blick and Rexart....no problemos

and I always get the stuff fast. I will avoid Jerrys.

Andrew
05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I do order mostly from Blick. They are close, so the orders come exceedingly fast. But there are some items that I love that Blick doesn't carry. I happen to love Lukas oils paints, both the Studio and the Master (1862) line. I find the consistency and opacity perfect for how I work and the price stays within my budget.

I also like the Shin Han Korean watercolours. They have a glue base as opposed to a gum base. The colours are more intense than traditional watercolours, and once dry the colours are more permanent, so I can size over the top, in traditional oriental style, to preserve the painting or sketch.

Blick has added the Shin Han Premiere Watercolours to their lineup. Which means, I hope, they will soon be adding the Korean watercolours and Shin Han Oil colours and markers. The latter two are also brilliant.

Andrew

scottsart
05-13-2009, 09:53 AM
For those of you that were having issues with Jerry's did you try talking to a supervisor? I would recommend that, and also write a letter of complaint. They usually respond to comments stating that you will never buy from them again and that you are going to let everyone you know that you have had such difficulty and it was not resolved as well.

Word of mouth can do a lot of damage, even to big corporations.

theonoe
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm in full agreement with Oliver's and Beverly's assessment of Jerry's.

I let Jerry's know that I would not order from them again after my last fiasco with three defective bottles (large in size) of Binder Medium, and I received no response. If they cared that I would no longer do business with them, they didn't act like it.

Theo

Lust for life
05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Jerry's and ASW are owned by the same people. I have had many problems with them. Dick Blick's cutomer service has been superb!

I order only from Blick now, even though I have to pay state tax.

Phantelope
05-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Ha, the story continues! Once I finally talked to somebody she told me that one color was out of stock, thus canceled (without notice to me). Foolishly I agreed to have it sent, as it now is in stock. And I added one tube of pyrrole red as the lady was somewhat nice.

Now what do I get? I get ONE tube of golden OPEN acrylics, which I don't use and my Aureloin is still missing!

I will try to do the supervisor talk next, if that does not work I'll talk to my credit card company.

And as I said before

DO NOT ORDER FROM JERRY'S ARTARAMA! They have no clue what they're doing, this is beyond incompetent.

Oh, and they sent this one WRONG tube in a 1x1x1ft box! For ONE tube of paint!

What a bunch of complete idiots. Stay away from them.

Now I have to spend an other hour on the phone with some moron and see if I can get my money back for the wrong stuff sent. Outrageous.

Spend your money with a company that cares, go to Blick.

Phantelope
05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Finally talked to a nice person (after the 4min wait time of 20+ real world minutes). Turns out that I was also charged for shipping for the Open tube! No note of that on the pack slip of course. No mention of the missing Aureolin at all on the pack slip, he said they might get it back in this week. So, now I'm hoping to actually see my Pyrolle red, the open version I can keep for free (not that I have use for it) and the Aureolin might come.

Same story about the new system in the warehouse too, which is all fine but not answering e-mails and voicemails is not. Nor is canceling items without telling the customer. I'd have long ordered those from Blick instead, heck, I could have driven to Blick from California and picked it up in person faster than this.

So, we'll see what I might find in a week or so and then I can hopefully lay this nonsense to rest. I know where I'll be shopping from now on......

Phantelope
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Finally talked to a nice person (after the 4min wait time of 20+ real world minutes). Turns out that I was also charged for shipping for the Open tube! No note of that on the pack slip of course. No mention of the missing Aureolin at all on the pack slip, he said they might get it back in this week. So, now I'm hoping to actually see my Pyrolle red, the open version I can keep for free (not that I have use for it) and the Aureolin might come.

Same story about the new system in the warehouse too, which is all fine but not answering e-mails and voicemails is not. Nor is canceling items without telling the customer. I'd have long ordered those from Blick instead, heck, I could have driven to Blick from California and picked it up in person faster than this.

So, we'll see what I might find in a week or so and then I can hopefully lay this nonsense to rest. I know where I'll be shopping from now on......

Andrew
05-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Ha, the story continues! Once I finally talked to somebody she told me that one color was out of stock, thus canceled (without notice to me). Foolishly I agreed to have it sent, as it now is in stock. And I added one tube of pyrrole red as the lady was somewhat nice.

Now what do I get? I get ONE tube of golden OPEN acrylics, which I don't use and my Aureloin is still missing!

I will try to do the supervisor talk next, if that does not work I'll talk to my credit card company.

And as I said before

DO NOT ORDER FROM JERRY'S ARTARAMA! They have no clue what they're doing, this is beyond incompetent.

Now I have to spend an other hour on the phone with some moron and see if I can get my money back for the wrong stuff sent. Outrageous.

Careful, you are treading on thin ice here. You can state your dissatisfaction. You can make recommendations, and you can, if you feel the need, contact the Better Business Bureau. But the minute you start insulting the company and its employees and telling people with a rallying cry not to order from them, you are leaving yourself open to lawsuit. And on this board, where Jerry's is a partner and probably checks back occasionally, it is even more unwise.

Perhaps they will take it in stride. But they may not. You are dissatisfied. I get that, and I understand. I have been there with other companies. But you know what, you can walk away. If your attitude towards them on the phone was even a fraction as antagonistic as your posts here, that may explain why they have been less than forthcoming with assistance. Yes that is unprofessional, but it would be human nature.

Without a doubt there was a mess up here, and there are others who have had troubles too. But many of us haven't had a problem, ever. Yes, Blick is marvelous. But I have had problems with them in the past. Have I ever ranted about "Don't Order from Blick!". No I haven't. Just like any customer issue I have had with any supplier, for art supplies anyway, it has been handled pleasantly and quickly without fuss.

Andrew

idylbrush
05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Oliver, unfortunately, with the new shipping policies of some suppliers, none of these places have much advantage anymore. I ordered some paints from my local mom and pop shop and ended up paying less than if I ordered from the big store art suppliers.

Phantelope
05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I wish there was a mom and pop store, they're all long gone in my area. Closest is a Blick, that's excellent, but has higher prices than online for many things - well, they have to pay rent. ;-)

And Andrew, thanks for your note, I see your point, but I'm certainly not afraid of Jerry's and the moderators here are at liberty to delete or edit what they find inappropriate. I don't think my story qualifies, I did not mention any names, and I was always friendly to those I talked to. If they even dream about sending their lawyers after me for telling a true story, be my guest. This is a free country and I'm just stating facts, not fiction and made up stories. I have it all well documented and I live in America, not Russia :-) Could I word things differently? Sure. Could they do a better job and not make me angry and waste my valuable time? Most certainly. I've spent way over an hour on hold (!) just to finally talk to somebody.

No worries on my side and hopefully they finally get their act together now, I just got my shipment notification. Of course, w/o telling me what exactly shipped, but at least I can track my mystery package online.

A link to this thread has been sent to Jerry's already, to my satisfaction. I would love to hear from them! Really! So far they have not answered any of my voicemails or e-mails that I sent to them directly. An explanation (and apology) is long overdue.

Jerry's should take the criticism to heart and fix what ever is wrong. The ball is in their hands, they have the option to finally (after 3 weeks of no-communication) make this right and I'll be happy to report. Simply not responding to customer service voicemails and e-mails is rude. And if I'm treated rude my friendliness supply dwindles fast. I'm always nice to who ever picks up the phone (unless they are rude) though, as these things are usually not their fault.

It's just my story, nobody has to read it, believe it, like it or dislike it. Maybe I could word things different, maybe they could do a better job to avoid having upset customers to begin with.

Just my two paint strokes and if Wet Canvas is afraid of their lawyers, feel free to delete this thread anytime. Though I'd be very surprised :-D

So far I've only heard of people with the same experience if they ordered within the last couple of months. I WAS a happy customer before, which is why I ordered again. They screwed up and showed no action on their side to remedy things until I finally sat through their hold time. Not how you run a business in 2009.

Now I'm looking forward to my box, hopefully it'll be a 2x2x2ft box this time, as I expect two tubes of paint - - -

BeeCeeEss
05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, Jerry's finally came through for me and sent the remainder of my order. It arrived yesterday, so I will consider the case closed.

I wanted to add this update to my own story about Jerry's Artarama in fairness. Yes, they sure have a mess on their hands and it's going to take a lot of work to get it squared away. There are going to be a lot of unhappy customers. I can't honestly say at this point if I will order from Jerry's again. I think it's only natural that I'm feeling "gun shy" just now and will wait to see if they manage to get their act together.

For what it's worth, I tried to be pleasant with the lady I spoke with at Jerry's who took care of my problem and she was very nice in response. As one who worked as a department store cashier when I was working my way through college many years back, I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of a customer's wrath when it was something I had nothing to do with and no control over. I was just convenient and some people got really ugly at times. I always vowed that I would never allow myself to treat those in similar jobs the same way. I vented some steam here, but I did not vent at the nice lady at Jerry's. She had a tough enough job to do but she kept her word to me. For that, I'm thankful.

Beverly

howyadoin
05-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Careful, you are treading on thin ice here. You can state your dissatisfaction. You can make recommendations, and you can, if you feel the need, contact the Better Business Bureau. But the minute you start insulting the company and its employees and telling people with a rallying cry not to order from them, you are leaving yourself open to lawsuit.Really? On what grounds? People circulate petitions against companies and encourage boycotts all the time; this isn't much different.

Andrew
05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Really? On what grounds? People circulate petitions against companies and encourage boycotts all the time; this isn't much different.

Potentially Slander. Not necessarily likely, but depending on the company management, and state of mind possible. Especially if they view it unduly injurious to their business or reputation. And petitions are legally subject to suits of libel or slander as well. That is why wording is so crucial in a petition, otherwise they are counter productive. And even if the company doesn't choose to pursue a suit, employees implicated in the statements, if they can infer there connection to the situation can do so privately. And since this is a relatively public forum with thousands of members, and visitors, the possibility exists.

slander
noun

1. a false, malicious statement (spoken or published), especially one which is injurious to a person's reputation; the making of such a statement

verb

1. to utter a slanderous statement

libel
noun

1. A written or pictorial statement which unjustly seeks to damage someone's reputation.
2. (uncountable) The act or crime of displaying such a statement publicly

Andrew

howyadoin
05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm aware of what slander is. But in order to prove it they'd have to demonstrate that his statements are false.

~~Kathleen
05-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Have to agree with Bret here.
"Jerrys" doesn't have a leg to stand on!
They were in the wrong, the individual traveled every avenue to rectify the situation and all to no resolution/response from the company.

The company took money offered in good faith for services that they offered, and they did not live up to the implied contract.

The company refused to respond to any queries made by the client.
actually, the one with the potential to sue would be the client, as they honoured the agreement by submitting monies with the desired purchase order.
The company took money with no implied restitution to the client when part of the contract failed. (they failed to complete the order and kept the money without explanation and or the service pre paid for.)

as implied in the business statement on Jerrys arteramas front page.
Our promise to both accomplished and beginning artists is to treat you as a person, not merely an account. Jerry's is a family business without the layers upon layers of upper management found at many other businesses.
Our friendly and efficient customer service team is at your disposal, and if you want to speak to Ira or David, they are both available to you no matter what the issue.

Your voice is important to us and our fantastic team, and we truly want to know if for any reason you don't feel that you have been serviced with speed, efficiency, and total hospitality. We always want your feedback on how we're doing, especially when it comes to the value and selection of art supplies we offer every day.

~~Kathleen

Andrew
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I never said they weren't at some level in the wrong. I don't question that. I also can state that in the years of doing business with them and ASW I have never had a problem.

But there is a line that you can cross in ranting and raving in public that goes beyond expressing discontent. And calling them idiots and incompetents and so on is potentially edging close to that line. If not for the company, for the individuals implicated. And if the whole business is documented, they most likely will know who is involved.

They don't have to prove that the claims are false. All they would have to do in court is demonstrate there was no malicious intent. That there was no premeditation or fraud. And to display in to the court's satisfaction that the statements were overly injurious to the company and/or the individuals involved. On a forum such as this, they most likely will say nothing as a company. But the potential is there, and if you cross that line here, that also places WC into the line of fire. It has nothing to do with truth, relative or otherwise. It has to do with ethical conduct and professionalism.

Andrew

~~Kathleen
05-20-2009, 01:57 AM
All they would have to do in court is demonstrate there was no malicious intent. That there was no premeditation or fraud. Sorry Andrew, I do disagree with you and I do know what I am speaking about here.
The above statement that you made is telling in that the initial consumer had no way of contacting them, as they did not return numerous emails, responded to no phone calls that the person made, and the company made nothing available for recourse to the consumer in any manner so as to retrieve monies owing and or the product ordered.
BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT BE CONTACTED.
It took advise from a stranger on line to enable the poster to finally speak with a real person.
A statement of claim has the right to be investigated, especially when money passes hands in good faith for presumed returns.
If the recipient of said monies does not allow the consumer any contact, the consumer has the right to feel that their money was taken in a fraudulent manner. One would naturally assume that the company kept the money in a manner that was devious to say the least because of the inability to receive any reassurances from the company that the claim was being looked into.

While you might have a good working relationship with this company, the poster did not, and I assume that this was not a company that they had frequented before.

One expects value for money, and prompt service.
If the company is having problems, and has a good customer base, a statement on their web page explaining the issues would alleviate intense frustration to all who order in the future.
Word of mouth advertising is worth more than anything that any company can pay.
The onus is on them to prove that they stand behind their product and services offered at point of sale.
~~Kathleen

Andrew
05-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Sorry Andrew, I do disagree with you and I do know what I am speaking about here.
The above statement that you made is telling in that the initial consumer had no way of contacting them, as they did not return numerous emails, responded to no phone calls that the person made, and the company made nothing available for recourse to the consumer in any manner so as to retrieve monies owing and or the product ordered.
BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT BE CONTACTED.
It took advise from a stranger on line to enable the poster to finally speak with a real person.
A statement of claim has the right to be investigated, especially when money passes hands in good faith for presumed returns.
If the recipient of said monies does not allow the consumer any contact, the consumer has the right to feel that their money was taken in a fraudulent manner. One would naturally assume that the company kept the money in a manner that was devious to say the least because of the inability to receive any reassurances from the company that the claim was being looked into.

While you might have a good working relationship with this company, the poster did not, and I assume that this was not a company that they had frequented before.

One expects value for money, and prompt service.
If the company is having problems, and has a good customer base, a statement on their web page explaining the issues would alleviate intense frustration to all who order in the future.
Word of mouth advertising is worth more than anything that any company can pay.
The onus is on them to prove that they stand behind their product and services offered at point of sale.
~~Kathleen

Disagree as you will. I am merely going by what I have see courts do. But as I said, it is doubtful that anything would be done by Jerry's, if they are having issues they are undoubtedly aware of them and trying to correct them to the best of their resources. Sometimes it works other times not so well. I have had an order recently, and my order arrived, intact and complete, within a few days. But the comments had strayed from bemoaning a mucked up order to insults directed at the employees. This is where it get grey. And this is also where the courts tend to favor the business over the consumer.

And whether or not they choose legal action is irrelevent. You can be mad as hell and not going to take it anymore, without hurlling insults or casting aspersions. You can personally boycott the instituition or you could petition a boycott with provisions (that they clean up there process and better train there staff for example). That is ethical, professional and mature.

Andrew

Phantelope
05-20-2009, 12:49 PM
this is just getting silly now! Jerry's would be very unwise to make anything more than "oh, unhappy customer, what can we do to make him happy?" out of this. Going after people they made unhappy who then voiced their dissatisfaction sure would be a rather dumb PR move. And I'm by far not the only one who's having problems, even the brick and mortar stores have problems getting their orders. They need to do some serious tweaking on their system to get things right.

I'll never know if they do, as I won't order from them again, but I'm not stopping anybody from doing so. I'm just telling my story, that's all.

I'm still waiting to hear back on any of my futile attempts to contact them, I had to spend over an hour of my valuable time (I should charge them for that, at my hourly rate that would hurt them much more) just sitting there on hold after somebody here told me to NOT follow the directions on the phone system and leave a message, but stay on the phone as if I wanted to PLACE and order, not talk about a past one. Makes no sense, but that's the only way I could finally reach somebody, who then sent me wrong stuff and not all I ordered (again). Finally I spoke to a nice guy (who seemed rather stressed about the new system they have since April) and he tried to help getting this right. We'll see what's in the box when it gets here next week.

If Jerry's wants to drag this into court and have it all documented in public record, LOL, be my guest. I'd think they're smarter than that.

Let's just let this rest, I doubt any of us here are attorneys (not that I'd care one way or an other) and Jerry's still has the option to answer to my (and other people's) concerns. This thread was sent to the corporate office, and I'm anxiously waiting to hear their side of the story. A faulty system is one thing and can happen, I've been there myself. Not answering customers with problems can NOT happen in a well run business.

Just my opinion of course, so let's stop litigating each other in cyberspace and see if they finally got it right, I shall report next week.

Now y'all go out and paint! I'm still peeling paint off my fingers from last night's session :-D

Rose Queen
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
...heck, I could have driven to Blick from California and picked it up in person faster than this.
Walnut Creek's not so awfully far from either Berkeley or Oakland, both of which have Blick stores... :cat:

Phantelope
05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh, I know, been there many times, as my wallet can tell :-) They don't have the same prices though, which makes a difference with larger orders. Other than that, they are great stores, and the Oakland one is just 20 min away w/o traffic. Helpful and knowledgeable staff too, as it seems to be staffed by students from the art school across the street. Art store next to art school = gold mine :-)

Andrew
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
this is just getting silly now! Jerry's would be very unwise to make anything more than "oh, unhappy customer, what can we do to make him happy?" out of this. Going after people they made unhappy who then voiced their dissatisfaction sure would be a rather dumb PR move. And I'm by far not the only one who's having problems, even the brick and mortar stores have problems getting their orders. They need to do some serious tweaking on their system to get things right.

I'll never know if they do, as I won't order from them again, but I'm not stopping anybody from doing so. I'm just telling my story, that's all.

That isn't what you implied in entry #29.

And as I said before

This is where your complaint went awry. So you had a bad stretch. Somewhere I think you mentioned that you had ordered from them in the past with out this drama. If you get bad service on a visit to your favorite restaurant, do you shrug it off or never go back? You don't know what the situation is there. Perhaps under this tough economic time they had to lay off a percentage of their force. So you have each person doing the work of 2 or 3 and the are treading into departments where they have little or no experience. Mass layoffs can cause a great deal of problems.

I'm still waiting to hear back on any of my futile attempts to contact them, I had to spend over an hour of my valuable time (I should charge them for that, at my hourly rate that would hurt them much more) just sitting there on hold after somebody here told me to NOT follow the directions on the phone system and leave a message, but stay on the phone as if I wanted to PLACE and order, not talk about a past one. Makes no sense, but that's the only way I could finally reach somebody, who then sent me wrong stuff and not all I ordered (again). Finally I spoke to a nice guy (who seemed rather stressed about the new system they have since April) and he tried to help getting this right. We'll see what's in the box when it gets here next week.

If it is finally resolved with the corrected shipment, all will most likely be check off and let lie. That is usually how it works. I have only ever gotten a follow up call from Blicks and Cheap Joes.

If Jerry's wants to drag this into court and have it all documented in public record, LOL, be my guest. I'd think they're smarter than that.

Let's just let this rest, I doubt any of us here are attorneys (not that I'd care one way or an other) and Jerry's still has the option to answer to my (and other people's) concerns. This thread was sent to the corporate office, and I'm anxiously waiting to hear their side of the story. A faulty system is one thing and can happen, I've been there myself. Not answering customers with problems can NOT happen in a well run business.

Just my opinion of course, so let's stop litigating each other in cyberspace and see if they finally got it right, I shall report next week.

Now y'all go out and paint! I'm still peeling paint off my fingers from last night's session :-D

It is doubtful that any legal action would be pursued, but I have seen it happen, over far less than what was stated in your earlier posts. And honestly I have found Jerry's to be pleasant and professional in the past, and capable to let complaints roll off. But, some states have assinine laws governing online rants and insults. There was one on the news (in MO iirc) where the family of a woman sued an online poster who complained about her service as a waitress. They succuessfully got a large sum for pain and suffering. I think it is still in appeal. Sadly we live in litigious times.

Good luck with the painting. I find Lava (tm) helps with the whole paint on hands bit.

Andrew

Phantelope
05-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Approx 1x1ft box recieved.

Content:

Pyrrole Red 1 (this time the correct one)

Items mentioned on pack slip: 1

No other information, no other paperwork, no mention of my 3 times ordered and confirmed and twice promised in person on the phone (!) Aureolin.

Make up your own mind what I think right now. Can't wait for yet an other half hour on hold - - -

Phantelope
05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
finally got a supervisor who also gave me his extension (which will be mostly busy but he promised to return my call). He said they finally got the bugs out of the system (was a rough couple of months he said) and he's going through my order, trying to order the Aureolin again for me and trying to keep track and see if the system auto cancels it yet again.

I see a glimmer of hope on the horizon...

Still, they should communicate these problems to their customers. All I ever get from them are "by more stuff from us" e-mails, something they should probably not do while the system can't handle the orders (yet?).

We'll see what's in the next box....

Oh, and he finally agreed to credit me for the Alumina tub I never ordered. That's a better answer than the last two "I'm sorry but you ordered this online and I can't do anything about that". I wasn't even on a page with those gels and things and if I ever use them I only order the large tubs as I work on large canvas and that tiny (but not cheap at $10) tub would not get me far.

We shall see what the postman brings next - - -

Oh, and don't believe the phone system if it tells you that your call will be answered in 4 minutes, took a bit over 20 min. Maybe time is slower where ever they are?

pumkin54
06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Currently having a horrible time with Jerry's right now. They've definitely lost their spot on my "go to" list for art supplies. There was an awesome sale going on for some pastels, so I ordered two sets. My receipt only showed one. I immediately sent an email asking if I could add the second set. I received a response saying I could and that my shipping would be waived. Awesome, I thought. I quickly sent a reply saying I would like the second set and asking what do I have to do? No response. Over a week and two voicemails and five emails later, still no response. Since then, the sale that was going on ended two days ago.

After 30 minutes on hold and being hung up on once before I'd even said a word, I have finally gotten somebody on the phone and they're saying, sorry, that sale's no longer going on. You have to pay full price, but we'll still waive shipping. As if I'm supposed to be grateful. I almost think they dawdled just so the sale would end so they could charge me full price. I'm completely irate.

Edit: You know what makes me mad? Even though I snapped into the phone, "You just lost another Jerry's customer!" they probably really haven't. They're the only ones who sell that brand of pastels. >.> Grr. I've ordered from Jerry's in the past and, when there's no problem with your order, it really goes smoothly. So I only had good experiences previously. It's not even the fact that I'm not getting my second set. That could have been user error--maybe I actually ordered one, maybe it was some glitch on their end. What upsets me is the struggle to actually speak to somebody and get issues resolved when there is one. It makes you lose your faith in the company.