PDA

View Full Version : Sennelier fixed the hardness problem?

Rick R
08-21-2002, 09:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows whether Sennelier has resolved the problem with some colors be super hard? I was thinking that I'd like to pick up the Sennelier 80 half-stick set, but that last thing I read here about them was that some were so hard as to be un-usable.

Thanks for any information!

- Rick

CarlyHardy
08-21-2002, 11:55 PM
I just bought that set on sale at Dick Blicks! Haven't noticed any colors that were super hard...but I haven't tried all of them either.

I read recently that pastels can harden with time...anyone have any experience with that happening?
carly

gmc
08-22-2002, 09:56 AM
Rick

I, too, purchased the 80 half stick. AAAAAnd half of the half sticks are hard and I have shaved most of the stick to try to find a soft spot and could not.

I also purchased a full stick set of Sennelier and wish now that I took that same money and put it into either Schmicke or a Unison set. Especially after what Virgil is writing. Their full sticks are very thin and crumbly. (is that a word?)

I will look this evening and give you the numbers in Sennelier 80 half stick that are hard. Right now it's that work thingy.

geri

Just to add this, at least 5 of the sticks came so crumbled that they are beyond repair unless I pulverize them, add a little water and dry them. If someone else has a solution for this please share. Thanks

jackiesimmonds
08-22-2002, 01:37 PM
I have never personally had a "hardness" problem with Sennelier, although some of the sticks have crumbled as soon as the wrapper has come off. Unison are uniform in texture, as are Schminke, and you shouldn't have any probs with those. I have come across some very hard pastels in the Rembrandt range, it is always the darkest colours. Anyway - the main point of this reply is to say that you should find out (from where you bought the pastel - or see if Sennelier have a website perhaps), who to write to to complain. I believe that manufacturers should always be taken to task over the quality of their materials, if they deteriorate. I have, in the past, complained (here in the UK) to Winsor and Newton about their fixative, and they have listened, and also have replaced the item. I think that Sennelier ought to replace your hard pastels - test each of your half sticks, and set aside the ones which are horribly hard. Send them back - either to Sennelier direct, or to whoever in the US distributes them. Suggest to them that there is something wrong with those sticks, which are not supposed to be really hard, and say you would like replacements. Say that you only bought Sennelier because you had heard that their quality was very high, and you thought you were paying for the best. Instead, you have ended up with pastels which are so hard that you have to shave them to find soft spots! This is ridiculous. Also, tell them it is not possible to work with pastels which vary so much - you cannot work hard over soft. Say how very upset you are, and feel you have wasted your money. You never know, you might be sent a completely new box!! It is certainly worth a try. Good luck.

Rick R
08-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Gloria, are you saying that some of the half-sticks you purchased are crumbled, or were those full length ones? As far as Virgil's information goes, I think he only specifically mentioned one Sennelier that had lightfastness problems, unless I misread that.

I'm very fond of the few full length Senneliers I have. I have some Schminkes that are even softer, but I have a hard time controlling them.

Anyway, thanks again!

- Rick

mmdm
08-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Rick R
Thanks for the replies!

Gloria, are you saying that some of the half-sticks you purchased are crumbled, or were those full length ones? As far as Virgil's information goes, I think he only specifically mentioned one Sennelier that had lightfastness problems, unless I misread that.

I'm very fond of the few full length Senneliers I have. I have some Schminkes that are even softer, but I have a hard time controlling them.

Anyway, thanks again!

- Rick

I just bought a box of 50 full lengths. I haven't used all of them yet. Although most of them are very soft, one of the greens actually scratched my paper when I tried to use it! I couldn't get any of the color to come off on the paper at all! Very disappointing for what they costs.

gmc
08-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Rick,

Ok, out of the 80 half sticks, 5 are so crushed they can't be used.
13 are so hard they can't be used. These are the ones I keep trying to shave down to get to a soft spot, which I can't find. So maybe the entire stick is bad. Several others will not cover even strokes made by Nu-pastel. But, will go on the virgin paper. They are harder than a Rembrandt and some scratching occurs.

So I would say about 25 of the 80 I am real unhappy with. The shame is I also, at the same time, ordered a full 172 set of Sennelier. Full Sticks. They are thin and crumble very easily. I like to index colors and when I took the paper off, the pastel crumbled in my hand.

mmdm, I too had a few sticks of Sennelier purchased from open stock. I was very pleased with these. Soft, smooth and a fatter stick than I got in the set. That's what spurred me on to order a full set.

Ironically, when I went to post the Sennelier numbers, matching the number to the color, all of these numbers "did not" appear on Senneliers color chart. The spoiled Senneliers are all 900 numbers, or 700 numbers. The Sennelier color chart only goes into the 500's. Maybe this has something to do with it. So the only thing colorwise I can tell you is that it effected the blues, greens, 2 reds and a Greyed purple.

Hoping this helps..........geri

jackiesimmonds
08-23-2002, 03:35 PM
I do hope all you unhappy people will complain to Sennelier. Their pastels are very expensive, and you shouldn't have ANY bad ones when you buy. I have never, ever, had a bad Schminke, and Unison are excellent too, absolutely all the same quality of softness. Terry Ludwig pastels are terrific too.

If you don't complain to the manufacturer, you will just have to put up with bad service. Be brave - COMPLAIN! What have you got to lose?

arizona
08-24-2002, 07:18 PM
Thank you all!
I have used W&N and Rembrandts and found hardness problems with both and wondered if if was just bum sets I received.
I ordered some Scminckes from a supplier in Edmonton and this is what he told me.

"What you describe happening is a very common thing with MOST brands. We have tested and rejected many brands of pastel,mainly for the reason of hard spots, some hard colours, or crustiness. The brands we have chosen, Schmincke, Sennelier, Holbein (2 lines), (and CretaColor is yet to be tested) are not like this. Can I include a free sample of Schmincke for you? You will be verrrry impressed. "

They are calling both Schmincke and Sennelier their best pastels.

Unfortunately the Schminckes arrived crushed and broken due to poor packing but they are sending new ones. I can't wait to try the darks, as these were the ones I had the most problem with.