PDA

View Full Version : Sketch of Lily

Nekoneko
05-08-2009, 01:01 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-07-2009/140683_lilysketchsmaller.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-07-2009/140683_IMG_0329small.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sketch of Lily
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8x7 maybe
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I didn't go into real detail with the hair, I know it doesn't look that great haha, I was mostly trying to get a good likeness. Took me 1 & 1/2 hours to do, people portraits are difficult for me right now.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm wondering if you think I've captured a likeness, I had trouble with the chin/jawline, making her cheeks look chubby, and her nose.

cbcarnell
05-08-2009, 01:59 AM
You got a great likeness of this little girl, and I actually like the way you did her hair. One thing I notice is that the bit of ear peeking out through the hair is lower in your drawing than it is in the photo.

pinkpetunia
05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Wonderful job, I think your doing great. I do agree about the ear though, but I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. Great job

mooz49
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
What a beautiful little girl and your portrait is just as gorgeous.....

LynnDigby
05-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I think you got close enough to the reference to have considered this a likeness, but there are still some slight inaccuracies. They are all minor ones. The trick is to measure using a 'unit' of measurement, such as an eye. You then make everything proportional to that 'unit.' For instance, how many 'eye' widths is her mouth? That kind of thing.

I think the roundness issue is due to your making the shadow on her face all one tone. As it goes from dark to light, the transition will be a fading one. if you soften the edge while paying close attention to the shape of the shadow, you will have it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2009/71979-ear.jpg
The ear location can be found by drawing parallel lines between her eyebrow and the top of the ear, and the bottom of her nose and the bottom of the ear. (blue lines)
Check it on yourself. Most people think ears are smaller than they are. While hers is partially covered by her hair, it is still this big.

To locate the ear within this passageway, if you're dealing with a profile, you can drop a line from the outside edge of the eye to the chin. (red line) Then at right angles, the same edge of the eye to the outside of the ear. These two lines will be similar in length. Most people put the ear too far forward, which you haven't done. I think it's too low and slightly too far back.

The hair is nice in the way that you're seeing highlights. Don't be afraid of black for shadows, and watch the ends don't end too abruptly, or she will look like her hair is straw-like and dry.

This is a fairly detailed critique of your drawing and I hope it doesn't sound too picky! There are many things to like about it, and for 2 1/2 hours, this is a good result!

Nekoneko
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow, thank you everybody! Completely right about the ear cbcarnell, I hadn't even noticed!

LynnDigby, I really really appriciate your detail! I never knew about measuring the face like that, and I'm fascinated. This is only my second post on this forum and I'm thrilled with it so far. I don't get many chances to talk to other artists, so this is a really great help for me.

allanom
05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Very lovely pencil technique.

Suggest you really don't need to put the large disfiguring watermark name across your art work. At the size you are posting it here, little nefarious use/copyright infringement can be accomplished with it.

Sam_I_Am
05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Welcome :) This is a nice little drawing. Follow Lynn's advice - she'll never lead you wrong :) If you were going to pursue this drawing farther and turn it into a detailed piece, I would probably work a little more on letting the darks and lights 'pop' the piece. Places such as the eyes and hairline could do with a little 'push' in the darks area. Great work - and please keep posting!