PDA

View Full Version : Curves and Angles

Andun
05-07-2009, 06:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2009/84252-beachwoodylores.JPG
:wave: Hi gang! This was done on canvas board and is 16X24inches. I was attracted to the curves of the car and the opposing angles of the lifeguard tower. Any comments or criticisms are always welcome:D

Painter Nan
05-07-2009, 07:12 AM
nice

susme48
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I really like it, Tony!! Only tiny little comment...seems to me the bucket and pail are too small...and maybe unnecessary at all? Could just be me....love the car!

LavenderFrost
05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks really good! I actually thought the pail and shovel were a nice touch. Makes me think there is a family nearby having a good time.

OkeeKat
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
WONDERFUL Tony!! Love this!!

AMuse
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
at first glance I thought the pail and shovel were a little small too... I'm not sure why..

but WOW I love the car and the lifeguard tower.

MCARTERMLB
05-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Excellent!

Lulu
05-08-2009, 02:45 AM
great stuff Tony!
And of course I love the RED!

chammi kaiser
05-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Tony. Love the 'crispness' of this. Great colours. Also agree the bucket and spade , (although I like them there) should be larger.

howyadoin
05-08-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm diggin' it. I agree there's a perspective problem, though. The bucket's actually okay; it's the lifeguard tower that's way too big.

Or to put it another way, the perspective of the car doesn't match the perspective of the beach.

Keith2
05-08-2009, 04:41 AM
It's a good painting, although the car's size seems out of scale with the rest of the picture. The viewer's eye is at the level of the horizon. The car is one of those big post war models, so I would expect its roof to be higher - that is, closer to the horizon level. I'm assuming that the beach from the car tyres to the viewer's feet is level.

The perspective of the car is distorted. Draw perspective lines along the roof of the car and along the points where the wheels touch the sand. If the perspective is correct, these two lines should intersect at the same point on the horizon line, but they don't.

There's some minor distortions in the perspective of the red viewing platform.

I think the surfboard would cast a strong visible shadow over the back of the car.

howyadoin
05-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Tony, maybe this'll help - the orange line indicates where the horizon should be, based on how you painted the car.

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:24 AM
nice
Thanks nancy:)

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:26 AM
I really like it, Tony!! Only tiny little comment...seems to me the bucket and pail are too small...and maybe unnecessary at all? Could just be me....love the car!
Hi Susan.The bucket and shovel really are small.They are for a baby to play with.Maybe I should have made them larger though.Thanks for the idea:cat:

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Looks really good! I actually thought the pail and shovel were a nice touch. Makes me think there is a family nearby having a good time.
Thanks Lavender:wave: I thought it would be a nice juxtaposition to the surf board.

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:28 AM
WONDERFUL Tony!! Love this!!
Thanks Kathie:thumbsup: I appreciate the kudo.:music:

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:30 AM
at first glance I thought the pail and shovel were a little small too... I'm not sure why..

but WOW I love the car and the lifeguard tower.
Hmmm that makes two votes for a larger bucket:eek: I guess I better have another look there,huh:thumbsup:

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Excellent!
Thanks a lot Michael:D Are there still a lot of these old cars in California?

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:34 AM
great stuff Tony!
And of course I love the RED!
Thanks Lulu:lol: I'm very glad you like it.The next car is a red one..a '57 T-Bird!!:thumbsup:

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Tony. Love the 'crispness' of this. Great colours. Also agree the bucket and spade , (although I like them there) should be larger.
That makes three votes for a bigger bucket:lol: I lose:lol: :lol: ! Thanks Chamni! I am glad you like the crispness.I really worked on it.

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:44 AM
It's a good painting, although the car's size seems out of scale with the rest of the picture. The viewer's eye is at the level of the horizon. The car is one of those big post war models, so I would expect its roof to be higher - that is, closer to the horizon level. I'm assuming that the beach from the car tyres to the viewer's feet is level.

The perspective of the car is distorted. Draw perspective lines along the roof of the car and along the points where the wheels touch the sand. If the perspective is correct, these two lines should intersect at the same point on the horizon line, but they don't.

There's some minor distortions in the perspective of the red viewing platform.

I think the surfboard would cast a strong visible shadow over the back of the car.
All very good observations Keith:thumbsup: The car itself is in perfect scale though you may be right insofar as the beach,horizon and lifeguards platform are concerned.I will try the perspective lines again and try to see what you see.Thanks very much for the ideas!:wave:

Andun
05-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Tony, maybe this'll help - the orange line indicates where the horizon should be, based on how you painted the car.
Hiya Bret:wave: Thanks for the lines sir! I do see what you mean.The car actually is not placed square with the beach line.It is actually turned slightly inward toward the viewer.Perhapes that is what is throwing off the lines?:confused: What do you think?

arl
05-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Wonderful work and style.

Li'l Brown
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Heya Tony! I like this, too. I would agree that the surfboard needs to be grounded with a shadow falling on the back of the car - as someone else already pointed out. I think if you change the horizon level as Brett suggested, it will all some together nicely. Very close already!

PainterDeb
05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Tony, Love the car, and the red in the painting!

(I agree with previous suggestions about perspective).....but this is great! :)