PDA

View Full Version : Logging Road

JudithAdene
05-07-2009, 02:57 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-06-2009/187251_Logging_Road_-_Oil_10_X_12.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Logging Road
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting was done in January from a photo I took of an old logging road near my cottage. I feel that it lacks something, perhaps color?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
As I recently started painting, I would appreciate feedback on this work, particularly the composition. Thanks.

hans.kok
05-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Recently started painting? This is already outstanding. The snow is wonderful. Perhaps you could need a bit more definition in the trees?
Hans

mooz49
05-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Hi Judith and welcome to WetCanvas :wave:
You have only started painting you say ....well somehow I feel you are going to be an excellent artist. This is lovely .... what a romantic spot .....I just want to walk along that path in the snow and up in through the trees ....gorgeous .....post more of your work soon!

thomas w
05-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Excellent work on that little path, you did the light and shadows perfectly.

tgsloth
05-07-2009, 08:10 AM
The composition is just fine and the trees are wonderfully depicted. You've really nailed the somewhat jumbled colors and forms of a winter grove. On the snow, I'd suggest cooler, bluer tones in the shadows. The snow is looking just a bit like whipped cream and what causes this, I think, is the rather warm tones you've used.

maryinasia
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I love the thick snow.

maqbool
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
it is successful painting.....like it

grahamrj
05-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I think the snow is rendered well. The trees are too much of an solid mass - the top quarter of the pic has very little interest. Here's a digital edit...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2009/41458-grj-Logging_Road_-_Oil_10_X_12.jpg

As well as adding some sky, I increased the contrast around the bottom of the nearest bunch of trees.

The colour of shadows in the snow are very influenced by the colour of the sky - yours look OK to me for an overcast day with the sun peeping through.

Graham

JudithAdene
05-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. It's hard sometimes, working alone, with no constructive feedback. I feel somewhat more confident that I'm on the right track. And, Graham, I agree with you that some sky should be showing. I struggled with that in the beginning because in the photo there is no sky as the backdrop is a mountain. But, artistic license! I'm told the trick is learning what to exclude and what to add...
Thanks again.

LynnDigby
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I like it both with the sky and without it. This is nicely balanced. I think I'd get rid of that little stick in the left mid ground. It seems out of place and distracts.

Very n ice work here!

Ladyred
05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I really like this. The job on the snow is very good. I too would cover the stick to the left as you look at the painting. Very nice, Thanks for Sharing.

yarddog
05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi Judith.....what a great first post......I like this a lot....
I too like it with or without sky.....and would edit the twig as well.....
the edge of the ditch..... (that no doubt has a trickle of snowmelt in it)...and the sled track meeting make a nice composition....
if you edit the twig I would be sure to keep that shadow there to keep my eye from following them off the canvas...?
the snow is exceptional........can't wait to see more of your posts.....yd

cbcarnell
05-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Welcome to WC, and I hope we see more work like this from you!

ImTheOne
05-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Hello from another newbie. I have seen this scene many times. You have painted it beautifully.

MRSBB
05-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Nice work Judith, very convincing. I guess I;m the odd one out as I like the stick in the path. Lets see more.............Lenore

nethra
05-13-2009, 06:17 AM
very beautiful painting , very nicely done.:thumbsup: