PDA

View Full Version : One Hundred Glass Steps

tiapot
05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-06-2009/130858_One_Hundred_Glass_Steps_(Medium).JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: One Hundred Glass Steps
Year Created:
Medium: Other
Surface: Wax
Dimension: 8 and a half by 6 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Been having a go with encaustic art. Just expeimenting.<br>Unfortunately most of them look very similar!<br>I've used the iron and stylus.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Looking for feedback on composition, perspective etc.<br>ALL feedback much appreciated

Ronni
05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow!! impressive effects!

yarddog
05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
oh my...the hundred steps to the ice queens palace...?? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2009/182771-freezinsmile2.gif
wonderful effects indeed....I do like the steps better than the palace....
I had to go look at your past posts....I could look at your jungle all day.....
this is a great style...I think you do it well......yd

mooz49
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I tried encaustic art a few years ago but mine was not nearly as lovely as yours is Tiapot ..... I could lose myself in your glass steps ....gorgeous!

michelle021
05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Please tell me what you are doing to get this effect? I see you are using wax as the surface but what are you doing to the wax? Is it sculpture? Facinating.

halthepainter
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Tiapot what an amazing piece of work. It is absolutely incredible and imaginative. Wow!

One concern: to me the white pyramidial shape at the top of the work is a distraction and doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the design. It may have meaning for the painting but it seems to distract from a glorious design.

As far as composition goes: My eye wants to look at the fascinating textures and contrasts about a third of the way up from the bottom of the painting but the eye is being disturbed by the white at the top of the painting. Are those demons at the top by the white spot? If this is your desired center of attention, it seems to be a bit close to the top of your image to be a traditional center of focus.

laudesan
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I have had a play with encaustics, a few years ago at an art meet in England. It was a lot of fun, and frustrating. You have to have a quick hand, and a good knowledge of colour.

I like this it is pretty, the steps are really very good.. You should try this on a bigger card, it would look very impressive.

itsajem
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Very interesting, mountianous, if the white triangle were to be developed further into a dimentional castle, it would be perfect!

tiapot
05-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi

Thanks for all your comments.
The "castle" at the top was my attempt to give the picture a focal point. Came out badly so I scratched it off to look like a castle!
The steps were made using the pointy bit of the iron, the castle scratched out with a stylus.
I've done lots of encaustic art cards but each one seems to be full of patterns and shapes but lack a focal point. I'm struggling with finding something to put in them!

ReineBlanche2
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
How I love the effects you can get with Encaustic. I have had the same problems as you with Focal points. There are artists who somehow pop photos in - don't know if it is before or after they apply the wax. Or various prints of fairies, witches, castles, etc. The effects are wonderful but I don't know how they get them. I wish someone would give an on-line demo. Anna.

tiapot
05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Me too! I've hunted through this forum but couldnt find very much on encaustic art. The only things I did find were how to make your own wax!
Someone out there - help!
The fairies etc are done using rubber stamps. The 'castle' was originally done using a rubber stamp but it just made a blobby mess - hence it being scratched out!

AllisonR
05-07-2009, 09:00 AM
:clap: WOW! So cool. The texture is so cool. I've never seen this before. I had to google it and watch a video on youtube.

maqbool
05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Wonderful effect ....great feelings. The red color on top is not blending , the steps are so good.

toraman
05-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Very beautiful painting. Encaustic is sure a very promising type

tiapot
05-10-2009, 06:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2009/130858-Silk_Heaven.JPG

Heres another picture I did but this time I used one colour. Still struggled to find a focal point so scratched out a "doorway"!!