PDA

View Full Version : Three day show is over - Update

nana b
05-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Well, the big three day show is over and we did very well. I sold three originals and four giclees but it was only my second year, so I'm happy. My husband brought in the most with his wood turnings and segmented bowls. "They" say if you make 10 times your shows cost, then it is a success... and we did, despite the bad economy. That's encouraging, don't you think?
It also rained all three days, with gusty winds and even lots of hail, about dime size thankfully. The first morning, before the cold front came in, it was hot and a very soggy humid. In spite of all that, I counted us lucky...in Oklahoma it could have been worse at this time of year.
Now, I can concentrate on the IAPS convention and the next show, June the 6th. I am very humbled that I have been picked the "Featured Artist" for that show. Free advertizing with a picture of my painting "Mt Scott" on 50 posters all over town! What a deal! :thumbsup:

nana

Tracy Lang
05-06-2009, 01:24 AM
WHOO HOO , Nana!!! Congrats on the successful show for both of you...despite the weather...you rocked it!!!

Tracy

Dot Hoffman
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow, that's terrific:clap: :clap:!!! Congratulations!

Colorix
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Congratulations!!!!

Ten times the cost? Interesting. But, as I don't charge myself for my work in preparing a show...

And congrats to being featured artist!!!

Charlie

Donna T
05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Way to go, Phyllis! Congratulations on the sales!

Donna

dobber
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Congratulations! That's wonderful news.:clap:

ddpatterson
05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Chiming in with congratulations. We attended the San Diego Art Walk two weeks ago and were wondering what a good show would mean, financially. That is an interesting number 10x the cost. Brava on the featured artist gig. YAY.

Deborah Secor
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Good for you, Phyllis!

I've done shows in May in OKC and heard those warning sirens go off (just testing, thank God!), so I can relate to the possibilities. I think the WORST downpour I ever experienced in 20 years of outdoor fairs and shows was at the show in OKC.

Show us the featured artist poster when you can! Congrats. Well deserved.

Deborah

Adriana Meiss
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Wonderful news nana! Congratulations!
I've never heard of "10 x show cost" as a way of measuring success with sales, but it's a good reference number.

This past weekend we had our first sale in one the guilds I'm in. I sold 5 small paintings! I'm more convinced than ever that the success of a show depends on location and advertising. It's very encouraging that despite the bad economy people continue buying art.
Please show us your poster and any pics of the show and your display!

DAK723
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Congratulations!! 10 times the cost seems like a HUGE success to me!

Don

knippes
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Nana,
First of all, congrats on all of your successes! 10x is a huge amount. When I was showing my photography, I never got close to that. I'm looking forward to seeing a copy of the poster if you can post it. That would be way cool!
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm showing my pastels for the first time on the 6th of June. How did you get your paintings to the show in one piece? I'm making bags for each one - but would really love an easier solution.
Thanks!
-Kym

David Patterson
05-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Way to go Phyllis!

lukeyking
05-08-2009, 07:21 AM
congratulations sounds like you guys had great time time.

nana b
05-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi all, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you before now to thank you for your comments.

Tracy, thankyou very much!

Dot, thank you too!

Charlie, thank you! I meant the cost of the space for the show and any travel expenses would be figured in also. It cost $300 just for the 10'x10' space at this one.

Donna, I'm sure trying! Thanks!

Dobber, thank you and thank you!

DD, I read that in the Sunshine Artist magazine and it does make sense. Thank you much!

Deborah, I didn't know you showed at OKC. Wow! So close! At the end of this, I will attach an image of the poster.

Adriana, thank you, thank you! Congratulations on your sales too..so happy for you! I think you're right about the place and advertising.

Don, thanks and we counted it a success too!

Kym, thank you very much! I use the frame boxes that my frames came in. Of couse they are perfect! It really protects them and you can stack them on top of each other too. If you order from mounlding and frame companies on the internet, they usually ship in separate boxes like that. The boxes I'm using was shipped to me with frames in them. You can also buy some boxes separately from Dick Blick. I would first check with Framing stores like Pirates Alley to see if they get any that size and ask if they would hold them for you. After all, they probably just throw them away. Just an idea.

Thank you David!

Thanks Lukeyking!

Okay, here is the poster! I did touch this up a couple of small places and it has more sparkle. They needed the image then and I considered it finished enough to give it to them.

I'm having giclees done on this painting. 15"x19"...I know, an odd size.

nana

Eleonora Manapova
05-08-2009, 11:23 PM
My congrats, Nana!!!
I'm glad you have a success its so encouraging for artist these days!!!

Colorix
05-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Gorgeous poster! So wonderful you're doing so well, it inspries me!

Charlie

nana b
05-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Nandia, thank you! We need all the encouragement we can get!

Charlie, I'm glad you like the poster! I hope it sets us up for a good show.

nana

PeggyB
05-09-2009, 01:14 PM
:clap: Congratulations Phyllis... your poster is beautiful. I can understand why it was chosen to represent the event. I'll be sure to let Andrea know about this one. (Andrea is my daughter who lives in Edmond for those who don't know - Phyllis met her earlier this year.)

I was in OKC, and met Deborah for the second time at that awfully rainy fair! Many people think it rains in Seattle all the time (it does), but the amount of seasonal rain in the OKC area must be at least the same that we get all year long. Those OK storms are just awful! :eek: I was also there during that awful "100 year" tornado.... hmmmm - wonder if the residents of OK are going to make a connection to my presence and the storms... :lol:

Peggy

nana b
05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
You bet we are!:eek: Stormin' Peggy!

I hope Andrea comes to the show, she will probably have to refresh my memory as to who she is. I find it hard putting names to faces some times:o .
Thanks, I'm glad you liked the poster...it is kind of :cool: :D

nana

Deborah Secor
05-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh golly--I remember that, Peggy. Don't tell anyone how long ago that was! :lol: Stormin' Peggy... I like it. This may stick.

Phyllis, the poster is great! Hang it in your studio.

Deborah

nana b
05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
:) Thanks Deborah! I'm going to do that! I requested a couple for myself.

Yep, Stormin' Peggy, has a certain ring to it! or just "Torchie" for short!:eek:

nana

edencompton
05-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Beautiful poster nana! Congratulations on a successful show!

Lynne Vokatis
05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
hi nana,congratulations on your show! and your poster is beautifull too!nice choice to repesent the show!lynne

nana b
05-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you Eden!

Thanks Lynn!

nana