PDA

View Full Version : acyrlic varnish

refract
05-05-2009, 10:33 PM
hey im looking for a rock hard scratch resistant acyrlic varnish, ive tried a few so far and some seem to have that "rubbery" feel to them..

is there an acrylic varnish out there that feels hard? almost like glass.

the nearest ive come so far is an acyrlic floor varnish. which is great.

-also it has to be non-removable-

uneffected by solvents and chemicals such.

thanks!

idylbrush
05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
It might be of some assistance if we knew how and why you wanted it to be so rugged.

There are some finishes that are better for hard surfaces and some that work better on softer surfaces.

It makes a difference.

refract
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
heya,

well i would just like it to be clear and hard to the touch like clear hard plastic

the few i've tried seem to be rubbery, which i mean, they do seem very flexible.

the only way i can discribe what i want is, if i was doing a drippy piece with acrylic varnish i'd like the drips to be hard and solid all the way through.

but the ones i've tried seem softer more flexible inside, and you can move it about..

instead of a gummy bear feel i'd like it to be a crystalized hard candy feel.

so i guess im looking for a varnish with the least amount of flexibility
that will seem hard throughout thick layers.

Einion
05-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Is there an acrylic varnish out there that's almost like glass? No - varnishes for acrylics are made to have some flexibility so that they can accommodate limited dimensional changes in a painting without cracking or flaking off.

I think you answered your own question in the first post though; a floor varnish has just the properties you're looking for doesn't it? Hard, tough, resistant to solvents... polyurethane varnish is a good choice for this kind of thing generally.

I presume you want this for something on a rigid, inflexible surface?

If you need something thicker than varnish then I've often suggested a pourable resin something like what is used for bartops, called Envirotex Lite.

Einion

refract
05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
hey, yea the floor varnish has the qualities id like but im weary about using it

i was wondering if there was an artist equivalent on the market.

i suppose it would hold up over time, since nobody will be walking on my painting!

thanks for the info

Dcam
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Polycrylics: comes in satin, semi-gloss and gloss.

Einion
05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
i was wondering if there was an artist equivalent on the market.
Not really no. The properties you've mentioned aren't in keeping with what a final picture varnish is intended to have. Removability is one of the key features of a good picture varnish - which specifically means sensitivity to some kind of solvent - as well as the ability to retain this over time, with exposure to light and air. Plus it can't be too hard for the reasons mentioned.

The best artists' varnishes for acrylics are soluble in mineral spirits; these have less of a 'gummy bear feel' than the typical acrylic varnish (which is usually much the same medium as is used in acrylic paints). But you wouldn't want to apply it too thickly.

Golden's MSA varnish and Liquitex's Soluvar are the two most often mentioned, equivalents are made by Daler-Rowney, W&N and Talens if those are easier to find where you are.

Einion

refract
05-09-2009, 01:22 AM
hi thank you all for the replies, i just have one more question

polycrylics - are these the same as an "acrylic - urethane copolymer" and would they be water based or dispersed in a solvent
?

thanks again

howyadoin
05-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Have you tried Liquitex Pouring Medium?