GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Apple Trio
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 6x6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A life study using a limited palette. <br><br>Titanium White<br>Cad Red<br>Cad Yellow Pale<br>Ultramarine Blue<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am struggling to find a way to make the best use of a square format. I am also worried that the background is not working. All Crits are appreciated.<br><br>

Corby
05-05-2009, 09:40 PM
very beautifully painted! Except as you suspected, the background. It should softly enfold and cuddle those luscious fruits. Instead it is screaming at them and ejecting them toward us. Try mixing your three primaries until you get either a warm or a cool (whichever you prefer) neutral. The color behind your rightmost fruit approaches your need.Your format solution is masterful.

laudesan
05-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Wonderful advice from Corby as is the norm. :-))

Something that is attracting my attention, too much, is the highlights on the fruit, they are too harsh. I love the red reflected light onto the green apple, and that glow of light on the table peeping through the gap of those fruit is neat too.

Shehaub
05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Thank you for the critique. I made adjustments, but the paint is still pretty wet and I can't get a decent picture without glare

cbcarnell
05-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Beautifully done. I am really liking the way the right edge of the green apple disappears into the background - very successful!

billmahler
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
This is a fine little painting.
I'm amazed at what an artist can do in just a 6X6 space.
The painting's strength lies its colors and rendering. Well chosen colors applied to convey a wonderful sense of joy.
Yes, the background is a bit strong, but I'd hate to see that blue go away, so I'd leave it.
For me tho, the composition could be more emphatic.
That round surface is a good composition idea (I'll be using that idea, for sure!).

To amplify that round theme, I think the set up might have more tension and circular motion if the apple on the left were isolated from the other two and placed lower.

mooz49
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Anna ....they look good enough to eat! :thumbsup:

yarddog
05-07-2009, 08:09 PM
limited palette...limited space....but no limit on success...very clever destruction of the square.....looks good to me....yd