PDA

View Full Version : Young Picture of Margaret

michelle021
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-05-2009/184753_paintinglesmomoutside3.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Young Picture of Margaret
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I leave this open to any and all critique. I am basically teaching myself. I will tell you that I am struggeling to be free with my brush. I tend to get too tight with a great deal of detail. I actually succeeded to be a little looser, but still -- the eyes I think have too much detail. I want them to be more vague but don't know how without making it look like something with no detail at all. I don't seem to be able to find that place in the middle. I also have great difficulty with color. Please tell me about the colors I have chosen.
When it comes to underpainting, I am not really sure I understand. Why paint the undertones when the white in the new layers just covers whats unde
eath?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Color, brushwork is of the most concern.
My thanks to all who
give input.

lapaloma
05-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice portrait overall. I can't see problems with too much detail. But in my opinion there is maybe a problem with the geometry of the eyes witch makes it looking a bit strange. If it were my picture, I would work at the background because the value is near the value of the face, so the picture has less deepness than it could have. I like the colors, they remind me in some way of several impressionists.

JudithAdene
05-10-2009, 02:35 AM
There is something in this painting that is very appealing. The colors, overall, are perfectly subtle, muted and suited to your lovely subject. However, I agree with lapaloma, I think you need a darker backdrop to make the subject stand out. The eyes are also a bit off kilter. The left eye (viewed to us as the right) is too high. Dropping it slightly would make a difference. Also, not sure about the protrusion of the shirt on the right side. Is that supposed to be her breast? If so, it should be moved more towards the centre (now it looks like its coming out of her arm, not her chest). Overall, it's a nice impressionistic portrait. I appreciate that you are trying to be looser with the brush strokes (me too...not nearly as easy as it would seem). As for the underpainting, it's all about depth. Define the depth (the dark, mid and light values) early in the painting and you won't make errors later on. If you are not sure about this and have a graphic program, take your picure/photo and convert it to black and white. You can see the values much more clearly. Incorporate them into the painting before you start with the color overlay.
Judith

greensyster
05-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Lovely gentleness in this image - well done!

As mentioned by others - things a tad off and since we have great accuracy at observing human faces, even a 'tad' off stands out.

In image below I have drawn lines that should be parallel but aren't.....

Just a thought - seems a bit unusual to have eyebrows so much darker than head hair?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2009/135872-184753_paintinglesmomoutside3.jpg