PDA

View Full Version : Who let the nerd out?

Sam_I_Am
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-05-2009/81190_101_0278.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Who let the nerd out?
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: something like 14 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ok. Confession Time. Back in the day, I was (and still am, admittedly) a big X-files fan. So, when I started a new celebrity/icon series, how could I help myself? especially when coupled with this lovely new promo photo that came out with the new film? whew. I'm now out of the closet :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything?

Sam_I_Am
05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I know no one has expressed an interest in commenting yet, but after looking at it over the last few hours, I'm wondering if this needs a crop? Something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Sam_I_Am/81190_101_0278.jpg

bpc
05-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Yes I like the crop better...why not open the eyes and increase the intimacy

La_
05-06-2009, 02:17 AM
hehe, high school romance eh, gotta love those days

shadow play would certainly add a little more feel to it i think, but if you did this many years ago i wouldn't mess with it now, well 'cept with a computer :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/84648-Image1.jpg

la

Sam_I_Am
05-06-2009, 02:34 AM
No fear ;) Only just finished it today. I like your shadow play-up, _La. I'll see what my eraser can pull up.

mooz49
05-06-2009, 04:05 AM
Really nice work here Stef ....the girl is beautiful ....I can't remember her name.... :o

tgsloth
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
The technique is really compelling. Likeness wise, you caught Dana moreso than Fox, I think. I wonder if you were trying for real portraits or you were looking to create an artistic transformation from the image. For dull, unimaginative people who haven't watched the series, you might want to post the reference.

yarddog
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
like the crop....like La_'s shadows....like the x-files...
and especially like the picture.....yd

osidianrose
05-06-2009, 02:28 PM
What exactly are you intending for the audience to get out of this piece?

On one end it seems that you want people to understand that you appropriated this image from a promo photo. On the other end, unless I had your piece and the promo side by side, I would not be able to put it together.

The female's face is anatomically correct in comparison with the movie. The male's face is not in proportion or gives the impression of an older male. David has some wear and tear.

Also, your piece is predictable. You handled both characters in the same mark making and the same shading and same smoothing. In some areas it looks overdone. However, that works if you are absolutely trying to mimic the promo.

Sam_I_Am
05-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi, all :) Thanks for your input. Osidianrose - I wasn'treally trying to do much more than come up with a likeness to the promotional image, since it was a request from fans of the show who wanted a drawing of the photo. And yes, there are some problems with David's face, and I'm not completely happy with it.