PDA

View Full Version : Red Bridge

totsy
05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-05-2009/158729_Red_Bridge.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Red Bridge
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14X12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This reference is from the Image Library. Hope it is recognizable! I do not aspire for exact likeness however. <br><br>It's my first landscape and first for WC.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
And since it's bird season in my neck of the woods, please feel free to take your best shot. My language for--please, please give me your c&cs.

Sam_I_Am
05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey, there :) This is great for a first landscape. Your leaves and trees are very believable. I think your sense of capturing motion is great, but all of the leaves seem to be a bit of a jumble toward the top of the canvas. A little definition could help differentiate between trees and also help you achieve more of a sense of depth. Also, I would darken some of the ground areas behind the bridge, as the trail seems to be on a different plane of sight behind the bridge vs. under the bridge and in front of. Good work - you're on your way to a great little painting :)

Corby
05-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi totsy! What a beautiful job you have done on this! I really like the sense of depth you have in this, and the solidity of that bridge and the color choice are wonderful! The mid to background could be enriched color wise though. Notice the warmth you have in the mid ground just behind that amazingly present and solid bridge, that warmth could really be played up by letting us see the sunlight as it lies upon the ground and touches the foliage. the sky facing upward surfaces of the bridge could be sunlit as well...a soft dappling of orange/yellow perhaps in the mid ground. It would blend out to cool nicely as it falls back into the distance. The only other thing to enhance the richness would be the color of your under bridge water. Let it reflect the blue of the sky and the color of the bridge. Things that do not appear in reference material are always added by the artist if they enrich the paintings visual experience. In my opinion you have done well for a first! A good foundation for a second, a third, and so on...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/70790-158729_Red_Bridge.JPG

!!!:thumbsup:!!!

tgsloth
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Totsey: great job, girlfriend
Stef/Corby: great critiques, there's nothing I can find to add.

Ladyred
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I think you have us standing under a tree. Those leaves and limbs should me darker in value and more detailed. The trees across the bridge look pretty good to me. The bridge appears a little steep. The colors are great. For you first landscape this is good. When painting landscape, paint for a while then step back at least 6 feet and give it a good look. If something catches your eye (not a good catch, troubling) then think about it or look for more references. WC RL is wonderful. Keep painting you have a gift. Thank you most of all for sharing with us.

totsy
05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
You guys are awesome! I appreciate your C&Cs.
Sam, I'll define the leaves as suggested. I think Corby's photoshop change takes care of your second suggestion.
Corby, mucho thanks. Your change makes a world of difference!
TG your pat on the back gives me courage to complete this one and try another and another, and another.....
LadyRed, I kind of thought that the bridge looked a little steep. Is there a way to make it less steep without much change?

Totsy

bpc
05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
hmmmm...I feel the contruction of the bridge is somewhat awkward..perhaps because i attempted a similar arced bridge and could never paint it to my own satisfaction..so I have to say my opinion has a built in bias and you should probably ignore it.

Corby
05-06-2009, 02:16 AM
bridges, like back bones tend to settle and sag

:thumbsup:

yarddog
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
such a pretty place.....as I come out of the woods and across this lovely bridge......
I agree with Ladyred....I might darken the trees overhead...on this side of the bridge....
just the shaded overhang....to separate them from the far ones some......
do more landscapes.....you have a touch for them...yd

Ladyred
05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Totsy
Here is a ruff idea of what I was talking about. I am not real good with my alterations, sorry. But maybe you can get the general idea.

totsy
05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok Yardy & Ladyred, got it! Thanks

Totsy