PDA

View Full Version : The Garvagh Madonna (Madonna Aldobrandini)

BrunoB
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-05-2009/39504_IMG_0161r.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Garvagh Madonna (Madonna Aldobrandini)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40x35 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have begun this painting in 2007 (and I have posted the WIPs in the Project Discussion: Masters Project) then, for some reasons, I have interrupted it. Now I have finished it and I submit it to the attention of the forum. <br>Unfortunately the digital photo absolutely is not faithful to the original one, despite my efforts to make it more correct. The colors are more brights and less contrasted, the blues are freshest and the skins are more neutral. I will try to make a best photo. <br><br>This is a small painting of Rafael, too much binding for me. I have not wanted to make a copy, but only to try to catch the soul and the technique of him, therefore (and cause my lack) the level of details is very inferior to the original one, being satisfied me with the general effect.<br><br>Sorry for my bad english :-(

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any C&C welcome

tgsloth
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Bellissimo!
I think it's just a great exercise to copy the masters.

mooz49
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow! ....amazing work Bruno! :thumbsup:

Mikey
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
It's a great exercise, isn't it. You've done well here. The one thing which does strike me very much is the landscape and sky being too strong.

Sam_I_Am
05-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I think this is beautifully done. You needn't strive for an exact copy when working of masters' exercises. The point is to accomplish a similar tone and technique, which I feel you've done. Its excellent :)

Corby
05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
you obviously know what you are about. Don't worry about the deficient upload color...we are used to that...the blue and purple hues especially, take over, it is really exasperating. Not too pick at small things, but you yourself are obviously aware that if there is a small thing...it will be noticed!...here it is the slight irregularity in shape and the lack of smoothness in the execution of the circlet above the womans head. But a very believable painting in keeping with the genre! Great work!

yarddog
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
well done !!!!.....yd

BrunoB
05-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Thank you all for the comment :)
Maybe the attached picture is a better rendering of this paint (but the shadows are not depth here).
Mickey, I agree with you, the landscape is a subtle variation of bluish and cold colors (into the original, of course ;) ) and my camera doesn't render correctly the blues so the maroons appear more strong than the real.
It's very hard not only to make a copy of a classical masterpiece, but also to take a simple picture of it :crying:

Mikey
05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Bruno, I've got you. I find getting the lighting right to be very difficult at times. The reds are often too strong and if I desaturate the red only find the painting can then look just plain dirty or other wise unacceptable. I use the levels slider to improve the darks and that can add contrast to the colours.