PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Seascape

tonyjazz
05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
30 x 40" canvas. Fantasy mountains next to a calm sea. Mostly from imagination, dock and boat from my ref pic. C&C's welcome.............

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/103497-100_6634.jpg

Chia
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Interesting work Tony! There's a curious dichotomy between the mountain and the foreground scene. At first glance they appear unrelated but then one begins to wonder if that mountain has just risen from the water like an awakening dragon. No wonder the poor boater left his guitar and ran! I love a painting that makes the imagination take off where the image stops. Well done!

Painter Nan
05-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I like the color, it does seem like the mountains just popped up out of the water...with no shore there.

LavenderFrost
05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Nice scene and colours, but I think I would have liked it better without the boat.

tonyjazz
05-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the comments! I've been working on this for a while now. Finished what I wanted, more surreal than fantasy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2009/103497-100_6641.jpg

halthepainter
05-16-2009, 01:52 PM
It's a fun painting Tony but isn't your guy overdressed just to go on a boat ride? :evil:

raizes
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
cool painting !! I like the addition of the earth and mountains in the background.

Artchrispy
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
That's cool Tony. Love the way you modelled the mountains. lol on the astronaut. Nice touch with the guitar.

OkeeKat
05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
WONDERFUL Tony!! Love the mountains and the changes on the water.. the reflecitons of the daylight on the glistening water is great!! Nice shoreline too!!
Makes on wonder what happened on this planet.. the people just disappeared but life exists.. birds still flying!!
Very interesting painting, give the viewer alot to think about!!:thumbsup:

tonyjazz
05-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Thank you for the comments, I really appreciate them. This was a theme that just evolved, I wanted to do an alien seascape. The figure came about as a tribute to Joe Acaba, the first Puerto Rican astronaut in space. The cuatro in the boat is a symbol for PR as the national instrument and if you look close he has a PR flag on his sleeve. He is coming here next month and I'm hoping to see him to give him this painting. Got some contacts working on this. I've always been drawn to fantasy/surreal stuff, just couldn't paint it back then. Now, if I can imagine it I can at least try to get it on canvas. I owe a lot to this forum for the growth in art due to all the input and honest critiques on your part. Lets continue to be a positive growth factor for all that are here and will come here in the future.................TJ

ecobb
05-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Great work TJ. I would love to see an Indian maid in the boat wearing a leather buckskin dress with one feather in her hair. This is cool, very dream like.