PDA

View Full Version : Lights! Camera! Action! Baloney! Deli Case!

tgsloth
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-05-2009/124239_Deli_Case_Lit.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lights! Camera! Action! Baloney! Deli Case!
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Originally posted as a kind of haunted Deli Case, I reaped diverse and hilarious reactions so, being an acute listener, I decided to turn on the lights in the store. Now we've got a plein air painting admitted to emergency surgery in the studio.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open

jjwoodee
05-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I like this...you struck a right balance between cool and warm colors. The thick impasto technique also shows you're not afraid to use a little paint. I'm not quite sure of the orb form near the top of the painting - feels cut off. It's good you are painting plein air...

tgsloth
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm trying to suggest the back of the store and the orb is a sign hanging there. The painting was actually done plein airconditioning.

mooz49
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Bob ....you're addicted to whatever is in that deli case aren't you?

Sam_I_Am
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey, looking great. I feel like this is definitely an improvement. I wouldn't touch it any further :)

Corby
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
mmmmmmm....why am I always the devils advocate...someone commented originally that they thought it was an aquarium. I appreciated its 'meat case' quality...I have built and landscaped large tropical aquariums for years. Used to have 8 large ones in my home, not dirty unkempt things but things of pristine natural beauty...sigh*... Bob this looks like a fish tank to me now...the chosen colors, and the arrangement within even seems to be 'fishy'...so I like it now, but for different reasons

(((:o)))

tgsloth
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
CL, for the ultimate been-there-done-that, since you worked a deli counter and had aquaria, any partial career as an undertaker since a lot of members figured this for a coffin?

Anyhow, thanx all for help and comments. I promise to stop and no more DC posts.

Corby
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
No...I have conducted funerals...but I prefer cremation instead of coffins....

yarddog
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Now THAT'S a deli case.....! you always typed that the critter in context is better than vignette......
now we have a whole deli...............with a case full of fish in it...hahaha...nono just kidding...
I can actually see the bologna slices....you cut with your knife...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/182771-didisaythat.gif.....
now my question is....why did you not fill it up....more bologna and cheese......it looks half empty....?
might kill Corby's aquadic enjoyment.....but maybe make your deli look more prosperous.....haha....yd

laudesan
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I can honestly say, I don't ever remember seeing a deli case that looks like that, must be an American thing. Is this an improvement? Well, um, er, :-D Yeah, it looks really cool now.

I am curious, though, what is that green stuff, sprouting out the top?

MRSBB
05-06-2009, 05:01 AM
I agree with Corby on the cremations, Yep it will be "shake and bake" for me when the time comes. I'll never walk by a deli again without thinking of TG. I like it and think it's a fun painting............Lenore

tgsloth
05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
YD, regarding the half empty case, I ran out of paint. No, only kidding, I was trying to create a center of interest (artistic point) and flatter the store that the rush of customers has swept away most of the food.

Spyderbabe
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
JJ - we often have artificial greenery around the deli case to indidcate the items are fresh. Really.
I like it Bob! You got that supermarket lighting right. They still could be lobsters in the case. I think that upper left triangle of red is competing with your COI

laudesan
05-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Kathleen thanks for that, I see it now. We have the artificial greenery inside the deli cases here.. :-D I love lobster/crayfish as we call them!!!