PDA

View Full Version : Lascaux - a reference to the past

quinacridonemagenta
05-05-2009, 12:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2009/43464-Lascaux.jpg

This is a piece that I started last week - it is quite unfinished compared to how I typically work (poured fluid acrylic; lots of color....see blog); however, I left for the weekend, and when I came home, I realized that I kinda like it unfinished. What do you think? Can I get away with it or do you feel that I need to move it up a few more levels? So far, no one has seen it in person, but two of my local friends have seen the photo and say, "Don't touch it."

This is a 36x48inch painting. If you click on the image in my blog, you can see its details up close. The reference to Lascaux - the caves. I remember studying them quite intensely in school 20 odd years ago. The exquisiteness of the cave paintings was the economy of line (no more details than necessary, just line, very little fill in) and using the textures of the wall to dicatate the placements of figures.

chammi kaiser
05-05-2009, 05:05 AM
Jeanette. I like this very much. Wonderful colours and textures. I have used Bushman painting backgrounds to some of my work and this is similar. I love that warm terracotta colour you have achieved. Nice work indeed.

quinacridonemagenta
05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Thankyou for looking at this piece, Chammi! I so appreciate your comments.

Someone, I hope not from here, but possibly since I posted this thread last night and the comment came shortly after, made a rather disparaging comment to the work and my abilities as an artist on my blog. I hope that they will go back and read my comment back. I believe that they have misunderstood what I've meant in the piece as being a reference to the past. It is a reference to my past and Lascaux is just how I refer to the past....like a stageprop is used to help its audience find meaning or put a scene together. Nothing more - I in no way think of the Neanderthals as in a lowly way. It is my favorite time period in art.

Lascaux was only meant symbolically. Perhaps I need to come up with a much better name? Or perhaps I need to not be sooooo sensitive to someone telling me to give up art and just stick with accounting.

arl
05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I like this. I like the texture you achieved.

Pippa
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I love this! Wonderful sketching of the horses. The colours and textures are great. For me I would prefer if there was a *little* more, maybe some fill in the horses, but I'd try to keep it very subtle. Just a shade darker maybe here or there? Still it is lovely and interesting as is.

quinacridonemagenta
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you Pippa and Arlene!

Pippa, that is a bit of what I was thinking - that possibly if I could just go in and glaze over a couple of areas just to help bring some type of "fullness" to the horses. I just don't want to overdue it and detract from the simplicity. You know how one can try to take it up just a little bit - but then next thing you know, you've lost all the spontenaity? That's what I want to avoid.

So the key word is *little*...just a little!

AMuse
05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Jeanette - don't listen to an anonymous detractor. I think this is really interesting... I would like just a very faint glaze on either on the back ground to push it back or on the horses to bring them forward... but really that is up to you. and I love how you found the image in your abstract background!

quinacridonemagenta
05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you Amuse! The comments on my blog have me quite stirred up and agitated this morning. I hope that it is no one from here.

I do think that the glazing is a perfect suggestion. I'm working now, but tonight I plan to do that. Thank you!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
You know when people make negative remarks - ignore them and keep painting - one person's voice is not the authority
i think its unique and you are a beautiful artist and i'm not just saying that either!

susme48
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Darn....just read all the comments on your blog, Jeanette. Funny that a lovely and interesting painting would cause all that furor!!

quinacridonemagenta
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Mz. Sketch Pad and Susan, THANK YOU!!!! I so needed to hear that the work is still intact and viable. I can't believe how someone can think that it is okay to post statements like that and then accuse me of not being able to take criticism - he's attacking not just the art but my morality and character.

My lesson learned, which I notice that many artists do this already, is to be very cautious in putting any explanation of the work. but that is what I find interesting when I look at art - I want to know what the artist's frame of mind was in when they chose such imagery or style. It helps me to see the meaning in the work that the artist may have wanted to convey (or may have rendered subconsciously). I would love the opportunity to go back in history to artists like Klimt to know what drew him to the patterns and colors, etc.

bairam
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Jeanette, this is a lovely piece and one that I would be happy to have on my wall.

Don't listen to those that have negetive comments about your work. Your work is very personal and comes from your life experience. You can't expect to please everyone, so if you are happy with what you have created that's really all that matters.