GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Green Sea Turtle and Reef
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
To see the WIP step-by-step go here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560578

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
If you can imagine, the colors are even more vibrant in real life. I have used Transparent Mixing white for most of the painting and immediately noticed the saturation increase.<br><br>ALL CC's welcome. I have a tough hide, lemme have it!

Corby
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
every aspect of the promise in process has been fulfilled! And then some. What a pleasure to look at!

La_
05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
yay! it's done ! = )

fabulous job!

la

Grunge
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
YAY! I was looking at this in the WIPs and blam! It's done! You've done a really nice job and made it look easy. I'm impressed. the squint meter reads an A-O-K for tonal balance. The colours are great. I like how the light is hitting the shell from above. It strikes me as realistic.

I want to go swimming here! Lovely scene!

cbcarnell
05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
So glad to see the finished painting - it is exquisite! I absolutely love the fish swimming in and about the reef, and that turtle is superb. Wonderful work here!

GKW
05-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Truly humbling to get such a response from all you talented folk! Thank you for those kind words!

mooz49
05-05-2009, 03:40 AM
I saw this unfolding in The Marine Forum and I love it Karen :clap: :clap: ....and as I said there ....there is a lot of talent in Alaska!!!

laudesan
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
You finished this beautifully. I really love the addition of the fish in the background, adds depth nicely.

GKW
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Mooze, Thanks! Yes there ARE a lot of artists here in Alaska. :D
JJ, thanks for noticing!!! :) Those things were SUCH a pain! Good to know it was not all in vain!

tgsloth
05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Must be something in the water in Wasilla. So many good artists. Anyway, obviously this is done with magnificent skill. I have no critique but do wish to suggest an alternate painting lurking within the frame.

You've done a stunning job of capturing the amazing colors of the tropical sea and I note you inform us that the painting is even more vivid IRL. The alternate painting could be to pull back from the intensity other than with the tortoise. I fully expect the brighter treatment would be more admired by most but here's the alternate.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/124239-156835_9_final.jpg

GKW
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Bob, thanks! :D It's so great to get other's takes on things. That is neat. If this was a year ago this painting would have turned out much like that one. It is perfectly wonderful. Lately I have found myself pushing the color envelope. My work has been evolving, with a little help from my first visit to Hawaii last year. How I interpret and translate color has become a little bit exaggerated. I'm having so much fun just letting go of how the photo looks and focusing on how it makes me feel. Then I go at it. Fun Fun!
Thanks again, it looks great.

yarddog
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/182771-coralreefet.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/182771-coralreefsmiley.gif
I am there !!.................yd

gopaintin
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for posting the whole WIP. I like to see how others progress through their painting. Sometimes the plan is overwhelming and I do not know where to start. Beautiful vibrant painting.

Bright Eyes
05-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Bob, thanks! :D It's so great to get other's takes on things. That is neat. If this was a year ago this painting would have turned out much like that one. It is perfectly wonderful. Lately I have found myself pushing the color envelope. My work has been evolving, with a little help from my first visit to Hawaii last year. How I interpret and translate color has become a little bit exaggerated. I'm having so much fun just letting go of how the photo looks and focusing on how it makes me feel. Then I go at it. Fun Fun!
Thanks again, it looks great.

When it comes to bright colors I don't think it hurts none to have Tali living a half mile away from you either:rolleyes:

This turned out great! To all the folks out there I saw the almost finished painting IRL. It looks amazing! Colors are just stunning. Karen you did a marvelous job:clap:

GKW
05-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Yarddog, :lol: :lol: you crack me up
Gopaintin, I am right with you! I have done my fair share of overwhelming paintings and have found that this is how I cope with the large scale. It gives me that little endorphin rush seeing each step progress, proof that I am in fact moving forward. Thanks! And good luck on your future paintings.
Kimberly, thanks :) lol you just had to give away my secret didn't you!? lol ;) I have benefited from so many local artists. (YOU included!) Just spending time with them. I absorb all that creative energy and it just gets me going! For all you Heros fans; ...Maybe I am the equivalent of a GOOD Syler... nah, that's a stretch. lol Almost worked though!

ImTheOne
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
A beautiful picture. The colour is what makes this piece special.