PDA

View Full Version : Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – May 2009 – Salvador Dali (2 selections)

MadWickedStiner
05-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – May 2009 – Salavor Dali’s Persistence of Memory and The Woman at The Window

With this project, we aim

~To interpret the whole, or part, of a painting by one of the ‘Masters’ and to learn something of the life and times of the chosen painter.

~To increase our technical knowledge of the possibilities (and difficulties) of acrylic paints and learn how to achieve a particular effect from the chosen painting, but interpreted through acrylics

~To share knowledge gained with other members in the forum.

Project Goals:
Two work’s are given below for us to study, and we’ll paint either (or both!) of the specific paintings, or part of them.
Choosing one painting from any given master will allow us to pick that master again in subsequent months if we so deem, without having too much repetition; or eliminating one artist because we’ve used Him/Her already.

The painting must be in Acrylics… on a support of your choice, in a size of your choice. Obviously, we’re using a different medium from the 'Master' (for the most part), and that’s part of the fun, or difficulty.

For the benefit of the community, please post something about Vincent Van Gogh that you found during your study of his work. e.g.

~Information about Salvador Dali we didn’t know,
or
~information about the painting we’re studying,
or
~how you felt when you saw the original (or the reference!), etc…
and
~How you now feel about the Master's work, having studied it a little!
This will increase our level of knowledge and appreciation of the studied artist.

The study will run for one month, after which another artist and reference paintings will be chosen.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy our study!

May 2009:
Good morning everyone! I apologize for my late posting of this months Master, but I had a few really bad personal things happen this last 5 days. Onward we march though! So, for my surrealistic experience over the last 5 days, you too shall have one! Salvador Dali is one of my favorite artists of all time. I’ve been to the Dali Museum, and wow. He was a very skilled painter, and pictures on the internet do NOT do him justice. Although that fits with every famous artist, Dali was misunderstood in his time. Only now are we looking back upon his work and calling him genius. I remember my Drawing teacher in school telling everyone that Dali was a terrible artist, which is why I traveled up to his museum to see for myself. He was wrong.

Have fun! I know both of these are easy choices by him, but I’ve been thinking about trying the Persistence of Memory for a while now.

Thank You Everyone!!

-Brian

The Persistence of Memory (High Resolution (http://www.artgalleryartist.com/salvador-dali/paintings/the-persistence-of-memory.jpg))
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2009/72764-the-persistence-of-memory.jpg

The Woman at the Window (High Resolution (http://fractalontology.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/philmusart-dali-figure-1.jpg))
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2009/72764-philmusart-dali-figure-1.jpg

old_hobbyist
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Brian, sorry to hear that you had a true Dali-esque time. This is an interesting choice of Dali paintings. "Persistence" (1931) is about 10 x 12 inches. After "The Great Masturbator", this is his most famous "surrealistic" painting. On the other hand, the painting of his sister (1926) is about 30 x 40 inches, and is certainly not surrealistic but a classic example of his ability to paint realistically. [By the way, Dali claimed that he was the greatest "female buttock" painter ever!]

These relatively early paintings attest to Dali's ability as a miniaturist. And IMHO are Dali before fame and fortune (and Disney).

I believe the real MAPS challenge is to paint the entire "Persistence" on a 10 x 12 canvas board, in as great a detail as possible. Including the Dali ants in the lower left corner. I hope I have time to do just that.

Again, a great Dali selection. Of course, Tampa Bay is the home of the Dali Museum (St. Petersburg). Of all the Dali paintings and drawings and prints, the museum does not have these two. Persistence is in NYC, The Woman is in the Gala-Dali Museum in Spain.

Jim Throne

Oh, and if anyone attempts to paint The Woman, check the lengths of her legs compared to the distance between her shoulders and buttocks. ???

*dee*
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh, and if anyone attempts to paint The Woman, check the lengths of her legs compared to the distance between her shoulders and buttocks. ???

:lol:
I see nothing freakish about it. She's built like my daughter...long of torso, short of leg. :D

If anyone tells my daughter I posted this on the internet I'm dead-meat! :lol: (But its true!)

loobyteacher
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I am sorry that more people haven't been involved in the studies. I am finishing up my school year, so hopefully will have a little more time. Although summer has its own full schedule!

old_hobbyist
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Okay, here's my attempt at Persistence. It is acrylic, 9 x 12, on canvas paper, ~ 7 h. Very early in Dali's career, he prided himself on his ability to paint miniatures. This is a prime example. Even though I enlarged the ants to 4X, I could not paint them Dali-esque! I came close to getting details on the fly, tho.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2009/115806-the-persistence-copy-21_May_2009.JPG

Most experts believe that the pic depicts birth (the clocks) and death (the tree and the ants) in many forms. Supposedly the creature in the lower center is Dali.

The surrealists were greatly influenced by Freud and the interpretation of dreams. Although Dali is the best known of the surrealistic artists, I think that only his work between WWI and WWII represents surrealism and then only as surrealistic realism. In this regard, Magritte is every bit as good as Dali, and IMHO, Magritte's uncluttered works make much clearer idiosyncratic statements. No giraffes on fire or elephants on stilts for him!

After WWII, Dali's opinion of his talent grew enormously, as did his paintings. The proper word is megalomania. Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus is a prime example of his over-the-top painting - 14 ft high x 9 ft wide! Compare that 1959 work with Persistence (9 in x 12 in) and it is apparent that Dali learned where the money was! Still, he apparently had no (permanent) apprentices (like so many other artists who painted huge canvases).

An interesting challenge and a most interesting artist, for sure! Jim

old_hobbyist
05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Is this thread now abandoned?

MadWickedStiner
05-30-2009, 07:37 PM
No, but it seems the participation is low! I will continue to post each month, with the hopes that we can get a larger group.

MadWickedStiner
05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I love your version of his painting btw! thank you for participating.

I would love to hear from some folks, what master would you want to paint from? I have a list of about 50 that I plan on using, but to get a better participation rate I would like to get a consensus on next month. If I can get a more than one suggestion for one specific master, I'll use him/her.

btw, I haven't been here much over the last couple months, my slump is one of the worst I've ever had.

Thank you!
-Brian

meganj
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Ack! I just found this thread, and it's June 1st! I'll have to join in next time. Great choices for paintings, they are so different.

Megan

loobyteacher
06-02-2009, 01:03 AM
wow Jim, great job on the painting! you have really captured the original!

Charlie's Mum
06-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I think you did a really good job too Jim :D

I did see a Dali exhibition years ago and, not having particularly liked him up to that point (very negative press for the most part and a weird man to boot!!!) I did appreciate his beautifully technical brilliance - in colour also!
Paintings in reality are so much more interesting than seeing them in books - or even on the net.

Thanks for running the thread Brian - sorry participation was scarce but perhaps members found his technique just too difficult to 'master'? :lol:

BTW - does anyone else see how small his sister's fet are? ... and how she appears to be standing over a space between wall and floor?

How about a Cezanne next ? - his still life works have many interesting aspects .