PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble May 4 thru May 10

Shirl Parker
05-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

Today I heard from two people I have worried about losing touch with. The first one is this nice lady who came to Brownsville every January and stayed until the end of March with her husband. She had two pug dogs which she would take to the nursing home as therapy dogs. We used to walk the dogs together, and I would lend her my mystery/detective novels after I had read them. Her health is not good enough to be away from her doctors for too long now, but she is still getting along.

The second was a woman who I worked with at the Justice Department when I was doing computer support there. I'd pretty much lost contact with her since about 2003, and today I received a friend request from her on Facebook. She was a nice, fun person, so it will be nice to be back in touch.

Hope you all have a fine week.

K Taylor-Green
05-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Shirl, isn't it great to reconnect with old friends? I'll bet you had a lot to talk about.

My week can't possibly top the weekend! Kansas passed both tests! Those with last weekend's passes gives her her Started Retriever title!!:clap: I am just over the moon! To top it all off, Remi got his, too.
We really celebrated at our house last night. Jess is so proud of his old hunting buddy, but we may not ask more from him. Jess is really deliberating on running him in Junior Hunter for AKC, but there is no question that Kansas is going.
I still can't access my own internet til Thursday, so no pictures up yet. As soon as I can, though. I may even show the one where they dump the 5 gallon bucket of ice water on my head!:eek:

Shirl Parker
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
That's great Katherine, congratulations. I look forward to seeing the photos.

saramathewson
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Kate! That is so awesome. five gallon bucket of ice water-yeow! That had to be a shocker! LOL!

Shirl its great that you got in touch with some old friends. Nothing like that really.

Chris(hubby) is still in MN after his mom's funeral. He has work up there to do so won't be back until close to his B-day which is the 27th of May:(

It gets lonely out here by myself. And with no car it gets difficult. I need to ask some friends to either take me grocery shopping or do it for me. I also need to get some meds by next Monday and have a couple of prescriptions picked up at the docs and taken to the pharmacy to be filled. We are 45 minutes from the grocery store and the pharmacy(in the store). It is so hard not having a vehicle. I actually am not even supposed to drive right now because of my seizures. It hasn't been 6 months yet since I had one so while I would feel comfortable driving in Arivaca(very small town) I wouldn't driving to the grocery store etc. I hate being so dependent on others. I don't want to be a burden and to top it off my hormones are gong nuts(meno) and so I cry at the drop of a hat. I'm afriad I will start crying when I call my friends to ask for help and won't be able to stop. Wish I could turn it on and off like a faucet. I'm an emotional person to start with, but dang the tears just go on and on these days. It doesn't help that I am so lonely. I talk to Chris everyday and we email throughout the day and it does help. I actually do enjoy being alone, but it does get to me after awhile. He has spent more time in MN these past three months than here. It gets old fast. Plus, my whole family is there including my kids. We have made the decision to move back there. I know my arthritis won't like it but I think emotionally I will be in a better place. I will miss it here but I rarely am well enough to get out and see my friends here anyway. If I'm in MN at least I can see my family and they can help if needed. Unfortunately we signed a year lease on this house in Feb. so, unless we can make some kind of deal with the landlord, we are here until then. This week is going to be hot too and even though I live in the desert, I am heat intolerant. So, I will have to have the cooler on so I can just survive. There are some social things going on this week, and I may ask a friend who I know is going to take me at least to the one tomorrow night. It is social and a Spiritual thing too so it would do me good. I haven't gotten much painting in. The other day i was trying to work on clouds and made a big mess of it so today I washed it off and am waiting for the paper to dry. i need to reread the thread on clouds<G> I don't know why they are so difficult for me, but they are. Other than that nothing going on. The most excitement was two border patrol vehicles parked at the end of our driveway this morning. Sure got Callie (my dog) all riled up. She so wants my step daughter to visit. Everytime she hears a car she thinks it is going to be her. unfortunately Kasie(sd) has car trouble and can't drive right now so we haven't seen her for a couple of weeks. She is the one who has always checked in on me in the past and would do errands etc. for me. It makes it harder not having her around and I miss her. Shes not in a good situation either. She is living with her "fiancee" who has been a drug dealer his whole life with ties to the Mexican Mafia. It is like the Sopranos meets the desert. ugh. But no matter what we say, she will stay with him at this time. i'm hoping she gets tired of him and back out of the engagement. One can hope!

So, that is the news from down on the border in AZ.

Take care,
Sara

ElsieH
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
:wave: Hi, All!

It is a lovely day here in Wisconsin: the sun is playing tag with some clouds, leaves and flowers are popping! We had a rain last night, so that will bring more out!

Got out to do some photography yesterday and just wanted to stay out...it was a long winter!:wink2:

Shirl: It is so wonderful to connect up with lost friends! It is nice to find out what is happening to them etc.
Sounds like talented dogs! And the nursing home patients were so blessed to have them!
I have a friend, Karen, who is a child psychologist and she has a full-size poodle that she uses as a therapy dog with the children. She says that often the dog will charm the child and establish a relationship of trust that she can then build upon to help the child! The relations of people and animals is so long and deep!:heart:

Kate: Contragts! We'll look forward to the pix!:clap:

Sara: Oh, I wish I could get there and give you a big hug! Prayers and good thoughts on the way!:heart: :heart: I hope Chris can get home soon! Try those clouds again! :)

I worked all morning on my family genealogy book and now can take some time off. This afternoon, I'll practice violin for our community orchestra concert this Friday and then get some painting time in!
My daughter is coming over this afternoon so that will be some joy, too!

Happy Spring, Everyone! Have a good week!

K Taylor-Green
05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Elsie, staying out with a camera all day sounds heavenly! I haven't done that in a long time.

Sara, I feel for you hon. I really like time to myself, for lots of reasons, but mostly because our cottage is so small I have no place inside to escape to when the TV is on and bugging me!

Well, my internet issues are finally solved! :clap: I can now upload photos from the comfort of my own couch instead of running somewhere to hook up to WiFi!
So here is Kansas during the last 2 weekend's hunt tests!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2009/41107-Kansas1st_test.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2009/41107-Kansas13.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2009/41107-Kansas20.jpg

Lady Carol
05-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Shirl, boy you get everywhere :D :lol:

I am not sure if I am in the right pastel forum.... I bought some Polychromos pastels and I am not sure what type they are, hard or soft. I am fairly certain that they aren't oil pastels. Does any one know what they are?

Shirl Parker
05-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi Carol, yeah, I can be found in lots of places.

The only Polychromos I'm familiar with are colored pencils by Faber-Castell. Is that what you are referring to?

saramathewson
05-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Polychromos pastels are like nupastels in that they are the semi-hard ones. Usually used first if one is working hard to soft. They are lightfast whereas some of the nupastels are not. I have heard they are somewhat creamier than nupastels, but haven't actually tried them myself. They are long, narrow square pastels. And I believe they use the same formula for thier pastel pencils, but could be wrong on that.

Sara

saramathewson
05-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I wanted to give you all an update since my first post this week. I did email some freinds and one in articular was so wonderful. On tues. she brought over emergency supplies to hold me over until friday. Then yeterday she cae and got me and brought me to the clinic to pick up my scripts and then to the pharmacy to drop them off and pick up a couple of Rx's that I had called in. Then on to Walmart to get groceries and other items. I even got some summer clothes! Tuesday this same friend had a gathering at her house that was both social and Spiritual. She has this gathering twice a month at her house. The Spiritual part is watching a DVD of a zen Buddhist teacher that we all follow. It was a wonderful evening. And the shopping yesterday went fine. It was nice to have time to talk with her on the way there and home(45 min. each way). And I have a stocked pantry and fridge now so I feel a whole lot better. Another friend is picking me up tomorrow in the morning and taking me to a Mothers Day brunch at the local restaurant. Her partner manages the place and is the main cook. It will be an all you can eat buffet(they only do this for special occasions) So, that will be fun and it will be nice to spend some time with this friend. then my step daughter Kasie plans to visit me sometime later in the day, probably after my nap! She now has a working vehicle so it is easier for her to get around(thank goodness!) She and her fiancee stopped by briefly last night just to check in on me. So, it has ended up being a busy week for me and I have had some good social time so I'm not feeling so lonely. We have put thoughts of moving bck to MN on hold for the time being. I do miss my kids and my family, but the weather here is better for my health which is the main reason we moved here in the first place. Plus, the community can't be beat. Even if I did live nearer to family, everyone is busy and so I wouldn't be able to see them that often really. So, that is the update. I'm feeling much better and a bonus is that since Chris has been gone and I have changed my eating habits, I have lost 18 pounds! much more to go, but now I feel like I can actually lose the weight that I need to. And, the best thing is that I didn't even try. I have been eating what I feel like eating and can't get cookies etc. so I have finally lost the sugar cravings. It takes at least two weeks for that to happen and usually is a painful process for me. But, I have a fruit smoothie for lunch most days and that seems to curb my cravings for sweets. So, I'm also feeling better physically. I have more energy. So, things are looking up! Thanks for all the kind words. Its amazing the difference a few days makes:)

Sara

Shirl Parker
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Glad to hear things are better Sara.

I'm on my dogsitting gig today and tomorrow, two lovely beagles, Luke and Leia. The good news is, I don't have to walk these dogs. They have a huge back yard, and their own doggie door. I bring my dog with me, and we've done this enough times now, that she knows how to use the doggie door also.

Lady Carol
05-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Carol, yeah, I can be found in lots of places.

The only Polychromos I'm familiar with are colored pencils by Faber-Castell. Is that what you are referring to?
No. They apparently make pastels too.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-polychromos-pastels/

Thanks Sara for the info. They remind me of chalk to be honest.

Shirl Parker
05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, there you go. Sometimes even Google lets you down.

saramathewson
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
The Polychromos pastels should be somewhat like nupastels if you are familiar with those.

Sara

saramathewson
05-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Happy Mothers Day to all the mom's out there! all my kids live in MN so I won't be seeing them today, but will most likely talk to them on the phone. I will be seeing my step daughter. She finally has a working vehicle so she can come out to see me. I am also going to a Mothers Day Brunch with a good friend of mine. Should be fun and I'm hoping the food is good too:)

Sara

PeggyB
05-10-2009, 12:53 PM
No. They apparently make pastels too.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-polychromos-pastels/

Thanks Sara for the info. They remind me of chalk to be honest.

Faber Castell makes, IMHO, the best pastel pencils on the market. One of their reps explained to me that they cover the pastel "insert" with something that helps keep them from breaking so easily if dropped or when sharpening them. They have a "soft enough" consistence that they don't scrap off any pastel they are used over. I've not tried their Polychrome hard pastels, but understand from some who have that they are very much above the NuPastels in consistency and permanence.

Please Carol, don't refer to pastels as chalk when talking about them to anyone other than another pastel artist. :) The unknowing public is often confused enough about what they are: pure pigment with a little binder (expensive and pro quality more permanent than any other art medium). Chalk is lime and dye (cheap and impermanent). Some of the pastels may feel like chalk when being used, but they are pigments, and if you ever use some of the softer brands you'll definately know they aren't chalk. I hope my little lecture doesn't insult you. That isn't my intention at all. I just know that many people new to pastel are not always aware of the public preception of "what is pastel?", and I want to help you pass on the correct info to any of your perspective clients or anyone else who may be unaware.

Peggy

ElsieH
05-10-2009, 01:21 PM
:wave:
Happy Mother's Day to All!

Sara, Oh, I'm so delighted that you have had some friends come and help and get supplies, a Mother's Day celebration etc. Prayers and good thoughts continue!:heart:

Kate: Kansas is a beauty! Great Photos! Good doggie!:clap:

My daughter was over this morning to have breakfast with us and then to watch the Gran Prix race with my hubby...family tradition!
Later today we're all going to dinner at a wonderful Japanese restaurant! Yum!

Polychromos hard pastels are GOOD! The do have a better feel going on, but are still very hard and get great sharp edges and details, as well as a good lay-in of shapes on first layers...don't fill up the tooth of the paper.
Also, glad to not have to worry about light-fast issues. I still have NuPastels, but am gradually replacing them with the Poly's.

Have a great day to all!