GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: tulip tree
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Not my usual style at all. I'm trying to loosen up.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is this working for you? I'm conce<br>ed about design aspects, balance, etc.

Sooyen
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Love it. Strong design, imo - very graphic, pleasing palette. :smug: Keep exploring this style - it works!

Corby
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
It is beautiful, I am reminded of silk painting or even batik.

Sam_I_Am
05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I think this is stunning :) It has great depth, and your glazing technique is wonderful. Please consider posting the next one under your screen name - we'll never think less of you ;)

Grunge
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Sam, Oh gosh! Okay, it was me. LOL. but this is so far away from my usual I think I'm kinda of scaring myself.

Corby, thanks! Tell me about silk painting. Do you just paint on silk?

Sooyen, thanks! I think I will.

Sam_I_Am
05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey, you -

This is different for you, but different shouldn't scare you. We all move on to different styles as we progress, but I still see nice little hints of you. Don't be afraid of your creativity - its a quick way to pidgeonhole yourself. Keep going :)

Ladyred
05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Love the colors, I could look at this painting a long time, it is very interesting. I like it.

mooz49
05-04-2009, 04:26 AM
It's Theresa who painted Joey and Sam so beautifully!! :thumbsup:
This is gorgeous Theresa ....reminds me on a stained glass window ....do more like this!

yarddog
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
yes......different....but I also see bits of your polarbear and others technique in there....as mooz typed...stained glass.....
but this one is special...as Sam typed...it has such depth....I like it a lot......yd

Grunge
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Sam, Ladyred, Mooz, and yarddog. THANK YOU! this was an experimental piece for me...one where I tried to follow "the rules" for once. All your kind comments have left me feeling pretty good, maybe a little brave, and a little afraid at the same time. Afraid of the next...

I'm really wanting to work up towards a looser style. I have a painting in mind but I don't want to paint it in my same old tight manner. I want my background not to look like the boring flat wall that it is and I want it to be married to the figures. I'm not there yet. But I like this new painting. I think I'll try another.

Sam_I_Am
05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your similar efforts. In the meantime, get this one to your local gallery ASAP. A designer would snatch this up in a heartbeat :)

Grunge
05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Yikes Sam, did you just say that to me?!! How very encouraging! But, but, but..., shouldn't I have more than just one painting before I go knocking on doors? Shouldn't I have a resume, an artists statement, a portfolio? I do want to be taken seriously. I'm not knocking your comment. I seriously want to know. Got any war stories to share?

Sam_I_Am
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
You don't need to have a huge resume to start making yourself known. Here's what I do - Every painting I've done that I don't feel would incur public humiliation goes into a small photo album ( I take 4 x 6 photos of everything). Its a nice photo album, and it goes with me everywhere. I took the book with me to a couple galleries and had an offer to hang a couple pieces on that first day. After those couple pieces received positive attention, I had an offer for a solo show in the fall. So, sometimes its best to just go into a smaller gallery and ask if they have a little space for this one painting that you would like to try and sell. My guess is that someone will say yes; after that happens, you've established an inside relationship that will last :)

Grunge
05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Okay, sounds like a plan. However, I'll have to first find that small gallery. I think the ones downtown area bit posh and a lot of them don't sell contemporary works. I did an on foot search a couple of years back and I wasn't pleased with the results. Not one target gallery. I think I need to search the near south suburbs. the little gallery where I get my framing done only sells work of the owner artist. so no luck there. The illinois artisas shop takes 50 percent on sales... so much to think about.

laudesan
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
You certainly know your negative painting techniques. This is very beautiful, and I love the palette too! Paint some more, it is good to stretch yourself..

Grunge
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks Miss Judy! Although I can't say that I know them. this is my first.

Sam, found a target. One that I wasn't able to find in the car but finally got an address online. YAY! thanks for that push. Obviously I needed it.