PDA

View Full Version : Bead Pic: New Series: 'My Other World'

ValorieCox
08-21-2002, 12:50 PM
I wanted to show a bead out of a new bead series I'm working on. Kind of fun! Made from rods and stringers I pulled using sheet and broken-blown glass, and some frit made from Bullseye sheet glass. Don't know where to start describing what colors, except that it's a French Vanilla base, with lots of other colors! I have about 12 made so far, but wanted to get in close to just one to show it off!

What do you think? Feel free to post your own photos to this thread of your experiments this week. Still 1 1/2 weeks until school starts here, and the kids are back in, so I'll soon have lots of time to play with glass, yeah!

Valorie

Rev_JamesT
08-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Very nice! Do you have to worry about the COE's of all the different glass?

MarySarah
08-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Hmmmmmm, that looks kinda familiar ;)

I love it! Those colors are just gorgeous. You do beautiful work, Val ... a true glass poet.

:)

Mary

ValorieCox
08-21-2002, 12:57 PM
Oh, I nearly forgot, all Bullseye compatible glass, COE 90.

Val:cat:

nursekatie
08-21-2002, 12:59 PM
It is SOO gorgeous!! School started here today.......as my 2 teen boys were getting ready for school.....I was dancing around singing the Christmas song.....Its the most wonderful time of the year!! (ever hear that Staples commercial??) they were rolling their eyes and pouting!! hee hee.....I really can be evil sometimes!!

Stacylynne
08-21-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by nursekatie
It is SOO gorgeous!! School started here today.......as my 2 teen boys were getting ready for school.....I was dancing around singing the Christmas song.....Its the most wonderful time of the year!! (ever hear that Staples commercial??) they were rolling their eyes and pouting!! hee hee.....I really can be evil sometimes!!

LOL Nurse Kate..............

Val Your bead is just beautiful, you are so talented honey bunny.

fergiebeads
08-21-2002, 01:11 PM
WOW! :clap:

It looks like boro - very good work!

~Julie

koregon
08-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Beautiful Valerie~

The colors are wonderful....and yeah...they do kinda have a Boro feel to them.

Great work!

Kaye~koregon

Jennifer Geldard
08-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Wow!
Valerie, that's beautiful!!
Keep going!!!!!!!
I'd love to see a pic of them all together too!:clap: :clap:

Lenda
08-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Valorie. Show us all 12, Pleeaasse!!!I can't believe you can get that look from Bullseye, I've got to put down the Moretti and get back to the Bullseye. Anything special in the sheets, coated perhaps, that gives it that boro look?

Lenda:D

Mori
08-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Valorie, that is beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest. Yeah, how do you get that Boro look? Is it something with the glass or is that just your natural talent? I think it's the later but thought I'd ask...just in case.:)

~Mori

Rhona
08-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Wonderful bead, wish we could see the others. Are they all bullseye? I have some bullseye but have been using morreti.
Rhona:) ;) ;)

Emily NZ
08-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Stunning! a beautiful bead Valorie. I want to see more, more, more!
Emily

Andie's Glass
08-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Beautiful bead, your combination of colors is inspiring. I think I'll play with my Bullseye glass tonight.

Andie
;)

b2beads
08-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Very beautiful bead, Val! I love it! B2

BAM
08-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Beautiful Val. Yes, please show us all of them.
Betty

Modesto
08-21-2002, 06:41 PM
VALORIE:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

craftylady
08-21-2002, 07:04 PM
Val I love that bead. I have a question hope someone can help. I have a sheet of uroborro (sp) Can I pull that in to rod? Do I need special glasses to work with this type of glass?:confused: Thanks :D

macbeth7
08-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Wonderful, Valorie! Yes, show us more of them! :clap:

Beth

mistymade
08-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Wowie Val! That bead is beauuuutiful! Please show us all of them together! Pretty please with beads on top!:D
Misty

ValorieCox
08-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Lauri,
Sure use your Uroboro glass, and melt it into rods and stringer. No special glasses needed (I believe it's also 90 COE, someone correct me if I'm wrong) I've found some wonderful new colors by using some Bullseye sheet glass.

When I use sheet/stained glass, I cut off little strips, warm the strip on top of my hot kiln for 10 minutes, then melt slowly in the flame, holding one end of the glass shard with my pliers. After it melts a bit, I attach the partially melted glob to one of my Pyrex rod punties. Melt some more, and attach the other punty. I find the best control if I keep my hot globs to about the size of a large grape, no bigger. I melt the glob entirely until it's a dull yellow throughout (this takes several minutes, of rotating so all is equally hot). Raise the glob and punties up out of the flame, hold for 3 seconds while a skin forms, and pull slowly until your arms are fully outstretched. (The slower you pull the thicker the rod, the faster you pull, the thinner the stringer) Clear? I think I need to take step by step photos and start another thread!

Valorie

Sure I'll show the whole series, though I have more of the same in the kiln tonight, I'll see tomorrow which look best together!

Ann*S
08-22-2002, 12:55 AM
Val,
The bead is beautiful...can't wait to see the rest. Wonderful colors...and you did a great job with them..
Ann

craftylady
08-22-2002, 08:45 AM
Valorie thank you for explain this processes to me. I will give it a try. If it turns out I will post some pictures.:D

NewCreation
08-22-2002, 08:57 AM
I am going to spend a torch session just playing with my bullseye to make something happen. I got a sample pack at the Gathering, and haven't really fallen in love with it. Valorie and others, any tips would be appreciated.

Judy in MN
08-22-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ValorieCox
When I use sheet/stained glass, I cut off little strips, warm the strip on top of my hot kiln for 10 minutes, then melt slowly in the flame, holding one end of the glass shard with my pliers.

OK, I haven't read much about using sheet/stained glass strips. Do you wash the strips before melting to get rid of any oil residue from the glass cutter?

And if you have an iridescent glass, does that finish burn off when you melt it?

Judy

Mike E etc
08-22-2002, 10:03 AM
Like the look Val! So far I see one great bead and not the series:D Give it up... and post the series.;)
Question, in using 'bullseye' sheet glass is it ok to case with schott 90 clear or is there more potential for compatibility problems?

Plato
08-22-2002, 01:22 PM
Question, in using 'bullseye' sheet glass is it ok to case with schott 90 clear...........

...........Yes,as long as you`re using the tested compatable fusing glass............but still test...nothing`s 100%...........

Beth Myers
08-23-2002, 03:22 AM
Valorie,
Simply Beautiful!
I love making this type of bead, they are my personal favorites. However, I don't make them as well as you make them. This kind of bead just draws you in and makes you want to keep looking over and over.
Wonderful!
Beth Myers

Kimberly Affleck
08-23-2002, 04:26 AM
Beautiful!!! it looks like a watercolor painting in a clear glass bowl! I love it!:clap: :clap: :clap:

rightbrainbeads
08-23-2002, 09:57 AM
REALLY beautiful, Val!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

lynne
:)

Miss Kate
08-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Just stunning Valorie! I wanna see 'em all!

Miss Kate

newyorkglitter
10-20-2004, 03:05 AM
I wanted to show a bead out of a new bead series I'm working on. Kind of fun! Made from rods and stringers I pulled using sheet and broken-blown glass, and some frit made from Bullseye sheet glass. Don't know where to start describing what colors, except that it's a French Vanilla base, with lots of other colors! I have about 12 made so far, but wanted to get in close to just one to show it off!

What do you think? Feel free to post your own photos to this thread of your experiments this week. Still 1 1/2 weeks until school starts here, and the kids are back in, so I'll soon have lots of time to play with glass, yeah!

Valorie

That is so awesome!!!! :clap: I love it!

Allison

New York Glitter Designs

jbriz
10-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Absolutely gorgeous.....